Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: "Why the .45 ACP Failed"

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Since I guess we've jumped the "technical vs non-technical" shark anyway:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    It sounds like that you need to spend some more quality time with that guitar!
    I do. It was my grandfathers and I suppose it's a nice one from what people have told me. It's an electric/acoustic but I don't have the amp. Just one of those things I never got around to.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    He probably borrowed the premise from the Colonel.

Attachment 42377
    Not consciously, but completely possible.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Funny enough, former Rolling Stones bass player Bill Wyman got a lot of success from groupies unable to get with Mick or Keith.
    When asked about his life choices, the band's bass player said, "You know, I figured I could live a life in where I was trying to score with a 10 or a life where I had a steady supply of 8s."

"Eights? That's ambitious don't you think?"

"Not at all", replied the bassist, "It's not like I'm a drummer."
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-09-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Piano's where it's at, man. Hey girl. I'm a sensitive loner who just wants to focus on my music. Not my music, I mean I want to play the songs you already know and like.

I quit shooting .45 a couple years ago. I still play piano though.

The inconsistency of 147-grain HST/AE/Lawman combo of carry and practice lately, include inconsistent accuracy from the last batch of AE and Syntech I bought has forced me out of the arms of my young 9mm mistress and back to my old familiar love, a .45 ACP 1911. Where all the damn 230-grain ball and 230-grain JHPs shoot similarly since they are all 230-grain bullets at ~830-850 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Piano's where it's at, man. Hey girl. I'm a sensitive loner who just wants to focus on my music. Not my music, I mean I want to play the songs you already know and like.

I quit shooting .45 a couple years ago. I still play piano though.
    I don’t have an ear for music, an eye for art, or a nose for fine cuisine.

But I can build a woman a house using hand tools and my brain, I can build a fire with some sticks and effort, I can hunt the food, kill the food, clean the food, and as long as no one wants a Michelin star, I can cook it, and I’ll fight to the death to defend my family, home, and country.

Which it turns out - ain’t a great set of skills for getting easy action from easy girls. But it’s a great way to land a great woman and keep her.

And hell, I ain’t the ugliest guy on the planet, so I’ve generally done all right.

Things a bass player never says:
    "I was so into practicing the new song that I was almost late for work!"
    "I get the best deal by buying my bass strings in bulk."
    "I went ahead and transcribed the demo. Including the guitar and keys."
    "Of course I can read music."
    "Can my girlfriend hang around at the session?"
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    I've been shooting and reloading for handguns for 50 years
    Mike's referring to military service, but I think it applies equally well to people who cite how long they have been shooting.

https://youtu.be/eA58PSadviA

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    If you cant get it done with 6 45 cal rounds you're in real trouble.
    This is the exact same argument I've heard from anti-gun people for wanting magazine bans.

The .45 Auto never "failed".

Back when Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper could state that a particular described tactical job could have been handled with alacrity by a competent pistolero with a .45 Auto, but "not with any nine" (as he asserted), he was addressing things as they were with FMJ and the JHP ammunition of the time (~1980-1990).

With bullet engineering development since that time, we all know that terminal ballistic performance of many common handgun rounds has become quite similar, or at least similar enough as makes little practical difference, so far as we can tell, both from comparing collected "street data" and from correlated performance in denim-occluded gelatin and penetration of automobile glass.

I'm a longtime .45 Auto fan.
    I've owned at least sixteen different .45 Auto pistols in the last 30 years.

I no longer regularly carry any of them though, since they weigh more, have lower capacity, and have more felt recoil than 9mm pistols, but... if I was restricted to carrying FMJ ammunition in a limited-capacity (e.g., 10 rounds or less) semiauto, you bet I'd choose .45 Auto over 9mm, no question at all.

The .45 Auto never "failed".
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The inconsistency of 147-grain HST/AE/Lawman combo of carry and practice lately, include inconsistent accuracy from the last batch of AE and Syntech I bought has forced me out of the arms of my young 9mm mistress and back to my old familiar love, a .45 ACP 1911. Where all the damn 230-grain ball and 230-grain JHPs shoot similarly since they are all 230-grain bullets at ~830-850 fps.
    You coulda solved that problem with a combo of 124+P HST/GDHP and the slightly milder -- but close enough -- Winchester NATO 124.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    You coulda solved that problem with a combo of 124+P HST/GDHP and the slightly milder -- but close enough -- Winchester NATO 124.
    +1. In my guns, the difference between 124-grain +P HST and 124-grain Winchester NATO-spec is ~20 fps (advantage HST)...AKA not enough to matter.

User Tag List