Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: "Why the .45 ACP Failed"

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    The .45 did not fail. It's still around and living strong. The 9 MM is cheaper, it's easier to shoot and it can hold 20 rounds of ammo. This makes it better for spray n police shooting. It's better for competitions, 20 rounds of low recoil ammo, it's easier for girls to shoot too.
    Two strikes in one day, both anti LE. Let me know when you’re ready to be mature and respectful.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Remembering that 147gr wasn't always a thing (designed for SMGs originally, IIRC) the available options were roughly half the weight of common .45 ball. What I've seen on the streets from cheap ball ammo is the lightweight 9mm fragments much easier while the slower, fatter .45 sticks together and retains enough mass to keep on driving through. Even it sheds it's jacket it stays heavy enough to matter.

I think it's evident at this point that bullet design matters more than caliber, which is why all the common duty calibers are fungible for real world use.
    Yup, American ball ammo is, as you said, manufactured to be as cheap as possible. Europeans (who have been killing with the 9mm since the early 1900’s ) have produced 9mm ball loads with thicker jackets designed to hold together and penetrate better, an extreme example of this is Swedish M39 9mm ammo.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Round nose anything deflects easier. I've seen .45 ride the skull, ride ribs, etc. I've seen the same behavior from 9mm ball, .380 ball, etc. Anecdotally .40 ball seems less likely to ride bone, probably because of the flat point of even cheap ammo (and remember most real world shootings are with cheap ammo).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Doc's sticky says .45 is good at making big holes and is often better after barriers, his testing shows 45 HST expands larger than 9mm HST while penetrating the same, SMEs have stated 45 will break a large bone like a femur better.
    Searched the thread for "bone" and these (two above, one below) are the posts that came up as relevant. In a 49-states version of wild animal defense, which seems to be black bears, big cats, wild swine, various oversize reptiles, and the like, due to the likely speed and violence of the attacker, hitting the off switch is crucial. It may be protected by tissue more difficult to penetrate than the pig/human flesh that gel is engineered to simulate. In particular, bear/pig skulls may need to be penetrated. I don't know anything really about gator scales, but I reckon they're a little tougher than human skin. And the impact may be at an oblique angle, given their typical geometry.

In such a context, if we're not going to go all the way to a Lehigh Defense bullet, is there an advantage to having 230 grains of hammer to break things versus 147 or 180? i.e., Would it be worthwhile outside the northern Rockies to choose the USP .45 with 12 rounds of HST +P vs. a 9mm or .40 version of the same gun with 15 @147 or 13 @165/180?

Secondary scenario: You're limited to 10 rounds in all of them. Does the greater rate of repeated tries outweigh any advantage that may exist in breaking bone to get to the switch? What if your shooting at "assessment speed" is roughly equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Yup, American ball ammo is, as you said, manufactured to be as cheap as possible. Europeans (who have been killing with the 9mm since the early 1900’s ) have produced 9mm ball loads with thicker jackets designed to hold together and penetrate better, an extreme example of this is Swedish M39 9mm ammo.
    Tying to BBI's comment above, I've read about the original design of the 9mm round being a truncated cone that was perceived as being significantly more effective in battle than round-nosed ball. There are three such loads available that I'm aware of.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fioc...-p-109334.aspx

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/winc...-p-109471.aspx

https://www.gtdist.com/hornady-9mm-5...ass-135gr.html
    (Hornady also has a similarly shaped 220gr .45 Auto load.)

AE 147gr used to be, but it seems no longer is (and may include other undesireable product variation).

All the 147 grain bullets I'm aware of have some degree of flat nose, and some others of various weights, but they all have rounded ogives. And they vary widely in the diameter of the flat meplat and the radius at the edge. I'm not aware of any being bonded.

And I found this FMJ/SWC in .45 Auto that I'd never seen before:
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...5b-p-3818.aspx

If one was going for "barrier" (=heavy bone) penetration in the target without going full solid copper, as well as seeking more tissue disruption than a nice, blimp-shaped FMJ, is some variety of flat nose such as these worth testing?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Re: the .45 SWC above, it’s target ammo most often used in Bullseye. IIRC the velocity runs about 750 fps.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Actually I have a couple of hundred rounds of of 124 +P HST and I’m debating whether or not to spring for a case of 124-grain GECO which runs right at NATO velocity. But I decided I have enough HST regardless if 124 or 147 to see me through a bit.
    I am nervous about Geco centerfire. I have some .38 SPL and some .357M that doesn't appear to have been crimped after seating. Don't have to explain to you how those are problematic in opposite ways, whether loaded in a revolver or a lever gun.

I had a case of .380 that was a good price but had a ton of failures to feed. I got a case gauge and figured out that they weren't crimped after seating. Ran every round that failed the case gauge through a Redding crimp die and it's been GTG. So based on the same area of defect in three different calibers, I expect it in anything they make. I can't run them through the press fast enough to cover any cost savings that might be realized by buying Geco over another brand.

I still like their .22LR at TSUSA. Have to wipe the grease off the noses with a paper towel (slide the rack out of the box on the bench nose-up and do the whole box at once) to keep them from wanting to stick down in the magazine and not be picked up by the slide ("click"), but with that done, they've been great. If I remember, the cases say RWS.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    To be honest, and this probably means I'm killed on the streets, but I wouldn't be stressed out carrying a 1911 loaded with 8+1 200gr SWCs going around 850fps plus a spare mag.

But I prefer to have 17+1 rounds of 124gr HSTs. Plus a spare mag

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Searched the thread for "bone" and these (two above, one below) are the posts that came up as relevant. In a 49-states version of wild animal defense, which seems to be black bears, big cats, wild swine, various oversize reptiles, and the like, due to the likely speed and violence of the attacker, hitting the off switch is crucial. It may be protected by tissue more difficult to penetrate than the pig/human flesh that gel is engineered to simulate. In particular, bear/pig skulls may need to be penetrated. I don't know anything really about gator scales, but I reckon they're a little tougher than human skin. And the impact may be at an oblique angle, given their typical geometry.

In such a context, if we're not going to go all the way to a Lehigh Defense bullet, is there an advantage to having 230 grains of hammer to break things versus 147 or 180? i.e., Would it be worthwhile outside the northern Rockies to choose the USP .45 with 12 rounds of HST +P vs. a 9mm or .40 version of the same gun with 15 @147 or 13 @165/180?
    Gators basically HAVE to be shot at the back of the head at the base of the skull. Most rounds deflect off of them otherwise. If you can get to that spot a .22 will do the job.

There are some pigs out there where a USP loaded with +P HSTs would be a comforting back-up to a rifle or slug loaded shotgun.

Secondary scenario: You're limited to 10 rounds in all of them. Does the greater rate of repeated tries outweigh any advantage that may exist in breaking bone to get to the switch? What if your shooting at "assessment speed" is roughly equivalent?
    In this situation all .45 for me.

Tying to BBI's comment above, I've read about the original design of the 9mm round being a truncated cone that was perceived as being significantly more effective in battle than round-nosed ball. There are three such loads available that I'm aware of.

AE 147gr used to be, but it seems no longer is (and may include other undesireable product variation).

All the 147 grain bullets I'm aware of have some degree of flat nose, and some others of various weights, but they all have rounded ogives. And they vary widely in the diameter of the flat meplat and the radius at the edge. I'm not aware of any being bonded.

If one was going for "barrier" (=heavy bone) penetration in the target without going full solid copper, as well as seeking more tissue disruption than a nice, blimp-shaped FMJ, is some variety of flat nose such as these worth testing?
    A 255-grain hard cast flat point or Keith-style SWC at 900-1000 fps is .45 +P, at 1100-1200 is a .45 Super, and 1300-1400 is .460 Rowland. And they are all viable loads. The same Keith SWC at 1100 is a warm .45 Long Colt load suitable for black bear or even Grizzly defense especially when supplemented with a shotgun.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-10-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

For black bears, pigs, etc. heavy for caliber JHP's geared towards deep, straight-line penetration have worked great over and over again. Especially XTPs, which are also at the top in regards to consistent accuracy and feeding.

They are more likely to put a 200-400lbs animal down quickly than a flat nose FMJ or big flowering JHP.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    It's vaguely amazing we are still talking 9mm vs .45 on this forum in 2019...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    It's vaguely amazing we are still talking 9mm vs .45 on this forum in 2019...
    We'll still have "is your j-frame enough" and "1911 vs Glock" discussions, too. They are as reliable as small talk about the weather.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List