Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Shotguns vs rifles

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Cardboard \= skin

Human flesh is more elastic and resists tearing much than a fiberous material.

The danger of wads is wholly overstated. The reason wads bounce off of targets is they lack the mass necessary to penetrate. Even a shot with a wad at close range would likely not penetrate deeply enough to cause a fatal injury.
    Prolly true. Still don't want to shoot my wad into my wife's eye when I'm shooting at the hostage taker behind her.... /s

Spent the early morning hunting hogs with some buddies. Mostly .223 / 5.56 used, including me. One guy had a 12ga with a mix of buckshot & slugs.

Results were interesting;

- Buckshot, 00 I think, wasn't as impressive as I'd thought it would be. It either slayed like Thor's hammer or didn't do much and required a 5.56 headshot to put down.
    - Slugs were equally effective as good 5.56 bullets if proper shot placement.
    - .223 Federal Fusion was plenty effective if proper shot placement. This is what I shot.
    - M855 green tip was not impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Tell the officer thank you for providing one of my colleagues extra work, but please don't do that around here.....I am already way too busy.
    Family dentistry and jaw replacements our specialty.

Here's my choice for shooting deer in a restricted (straight wall) state and HD.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...-purpose-rifle

Winner.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-21-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Spent the early morning hunting hogs with some buddies. Mostly .223 / 5.56 used, including me. One guy had a 12ga with a mix of buckshot & slugs.

Results were interesting;

- Buckshot, 00 I think, wasn't as impressive as I'd thought it would be. It either slayed like Thor's hammer or didn't do much and required a 5.56 headshot to put down.
    - Slugs were equally effective as good 5.56 bullets if proper shot placement.
    - .223 Federal Fusion was plenty effective if proper shot placement. This is what I shot.
    - M855 green tip was not impressive.
    That's pretty much exactly what I expected you to see/experience. Like I said...real world has not backed the mythos of the 12ga in large sample sizes for me, or my friends.

Prolly true. Still don't want to shoot my wad into my wife's eye when I'm shooting at the hostage taker behind her.... /s
    Well, not all marriages retain their pizzazz, I guess.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    ...which is going to be a function of how big the pattern is that hit the hog. That is a function of the load, the gun, and the distance.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    ...which is going to be a function of how big the pattern is that hit the hog. That is a function of the load, the gun, and the distance.
    For sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    If I couldn't have flight control I'd want slugs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Cardboard \= skin

Human flesh is more elastic and resists tearing much than a fiberous material.

The danger of wads is wholly overstated. The reason wads bounce off of targets is they lack the mass necessary to penetrate. Even a shot with a wad at close range would likely not penetrate deeply enough to cause a fatal injury.
    I disagree. In several shotgun classes, I've seen the wad go straight through the cardboard. Getting that into your eye, would not be pleasant. We discussed that when practicing the hostage shot. I said before, that I would go with the rifle for home SD as first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I disagree. In several shotgun classes, I've seen the wad go straight through the cardboard. Getting that into your eye, would not be pleasant. We discussed that when practicing the hostage shot. I said before, that I would go with the rifle for home SD as first choice.
    Well, I admit, it’s been a minute since I scooped an eye out and cut it open in anatomy class. But it’s still considerably more elastic than cardboard.

It’s also surrounded by a very dense bony socket. And a 12-gauge wad is about as large in diameter as a human eye. Making the likelihood of a direct impact on an eye, which is what it would take to damage the eye massively, would be virtual luck. I think it’s more likely that 1) the eye lid is closed. 2) the wad, doesn’t even get close to the face. 3) if it does, it will likely strike some portion of the nose/zygomatic and result in deflection of the was. Causing a fairly superficial laceration, maybe requiring a few stitches and an eye patch for a few days.

This is an almost totally overblown issue guys.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-24-2019 at 03:35 PM.

User Tag List