Thread: Less Lethal Shotguns

Site Supporter

Less Lethal Shotguns

I've found some police trade-in 870 Wingmasters that were used as "less lethal" platforms. Are these commonly modified to prevent them from firing standard ammo, or are the orange stocks the only difference? They're pretty cheap, and I'm wondering if there's a reason for it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've found some police trade-in 870 Wingmasters that were used as "less lethal" platforms. Are these commonly modified to prevent them from firing standard ammo, or are the orange stocks the only difference? They're pretty cheap, and I'm wondering if there's a reason for it.
    Normally the colored stocks are the only change.

What HCM said.

I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one.

If all they have been are less lethal guns, then they probably have fewer rounds thru them than normal police trade ins. I'd buy one. All I did when we transitioned years ago was paint the stocks orange and clear coat them.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Likely a field conversion from standard lethal use to a dedicated less lethal launcher. I don't think Remington shipped dedicated LL 870s on Wingmaster receivers. Barrel wear will be a good indicator. Doesn't matter either way. Buy one if the price is right.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Well, I've got one of these coming. The current plan is to see if it runs okay as-is; if it does, I'll rattle-can it black as a temporary measure until the budget allows sending it to Wilson's for the Remington Steal package and sights. If it doesn't, it'll have to go sooner. Looking forward to playing with it!

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Just be aware that the shotgun you purchased has likely never been cleaned, so it will need a good scrubbing and some lubrication.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Just be aware that the shotgun you purchased has likely never been cleaned, so it will need a good scrubbing and some lubrication.
    I figured that.

Oils and Lotions SME
    Kevlar bags clean barrels nicely!
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    1) Ours are furniture difference only and they are completely capable of firing standard shells. In order to get a Beanbag launcher you have to give up carrying a shotgun to minimize the risk of ordinance confusion.

2) "They" have kittens if you call it a shotgun. PR, I guess. It's a "launcher".
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List