Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shootin In Your backyard? who here does it

I do occasionally, its fine so long as you have a safe backstop. I have a 7 ft berm, actually a hole in the ground. Public land and ability to shoot out to 1200 or much more (hard to see hits at longer distances) yards is within 5 minutes or so.

Probably not quite as civilized as you had in mind. Rustic might be a good description.

Florida panhandle, about an hour from Destin. It's pretty rural, but again, an hour or less to what amounts to a resort town/the Gulf of Mexico. I have a range in the backyard with steel out to 170m. I'm not home a ton but I shoot pretty much every day when I'm here. Not long sessions generally, but it's easy to grab a gun, ears and eyes, and step out into the backyard to burn a box of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Night life and food aren't important to me.
    This right here....I would like to ultimately live in relative isolation. I don't shoot a boat load, but I would love to be able to shoot in my backyard. I am blessed that my soon to be wife feels exactly like I do....I would be ok with limited or no internet if it meant being able to have that isolation.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Here in IN, if you're outside city limits and on 5 acres or more, you can shoot on your property. Land is pretty affordable, taxes are reasonable, and this is one of the gun friendliest states I've ever lived in...
    Note that this is locality dependent and check local ordinances.

There are plenty of places in southern Indiana where you can safely and legally shoot on less then 5 acres. Central Indiana, maybe not so much.

My old property, which I still own but no longer live at, is surrounded by state forestry and I used to shoot in my backyard (so to speak) near daily. So did my neighbor. I was roughly 35 miles from the Louisville airport.

Assuming you have some way to make a living, south central Indiana is a pretty decent place to live. The economy isn't great if you have to work locally and aren't willing to cross into Kentucky, though. Most lower end non-union factory and construction jobs. If you're willing to make the drive into Louisville there's a lot more variety. Indianapolis has even more opportunity but land that you can shoot on is going to be significantly more expensive and likely further out for your commute. I'm not familiar enough with the northern part of the state or near Cincinnati to speak intelligently about options there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Part of our 2020 WA exit strategy includes finding a place that I can shoot anytime I want. So far, I've found some real nice places in Idaho, Montana, Arizona, and Wyoming.

I've also discovered that we could move to the south and live like white trash royalty since my wife will make the same money at her company no matter which state we move to.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Part of our 2020 WA exit strategy includes finding a place that I can shoot anytime I want. So far, I've found some real nice places in Idaho, Montana, Arizona, and Wyoming.

I've also discovered that we could move to the south and live like white trash royalty since my wife will make the same money at her company no matter which state we move to.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
    The effrontery!!!

(Keep it under your hat...we don't want anyone to know.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I have a backyard range that I use most weekends when the weather cooperates. The longest distance is a bit over fifty yards. The backstop is dirt, constrained to an area with railroad ties. The backyard is also fenced with an eight-foot tall block wall filled with rebar and concrete that is the backstop for the backstop. As of yet, I have not needed the extra backstop.

I have several target types from small spinners to old election signs to which I add fluorescent orange adhesive dots or other targets like Dot Torture. I live outside Athens, AL, which is about 25 miles west of Huntsville. The airport is about fifteen miles away from our home.

If is nice to be able to grab my ears and a firearm and work on something -- or just shoot for fun.

The wall is shown below during construction. The side the worker is pumping concrete into is the north side and is where the backstop is located.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by farscott; 09-03-2019 at 12:06 PM.

I am fortunately surrounded by state land. And the back side of my property butts up to a set of rolling hills. I shoot as much as my work schedule allows. My pistol setup goes to about 35-40 yards. But I have another for rifle that goes to almost 75 yards.

Pistol is flat and open. Do not think I have any pics of the rifle/long gun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    When I lived in NC, about 20 minutes from Chapel Hill, I regularly shot skeet and handguns in the front yard. I shot a deer from the roof of the house once too, since County rules requires hunters to be 10 feet off the ground and the old deer stand (that predated me) wasn't safe to climb.

As more of that area gets overtaken with new yuppie subdivisions, HOA covenants are choking the opportunities for backyard ranges there.

There's still lots of affordable land in NC not far (<1 hour) from decent airports.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ot-sqft-435600
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-35438?view=qv

Nearly 100 wooded acres for $240K. feel free to subdivide. About 1 hour from RDU and about 45 minutes to PTI (Greensboro)
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-16086?view=qv
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I shot my new 43X i bought yesterday in my yard a few minutes ago.
    I often shoot in the yard to sight in or test guns.
    I have my own range just down the road on 80 acres that i do the volume shooting on.
    Never go to a public range.

User Tag List