Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shootin In Your backyard? who here does it

Regarding noise, I saw a description of a guy that made a large insulated tube that he shot rifles through to reduce the noise. He said his wife couldnt hear him shoot a 375 H&H from inside the house. Ive thought of a shoot house with baffles to reduce sound to the neighborhood.

Suppressors on guns are cool, but they dont always easily adapt to everything one may wish to shoot and arent legal or affordable for some.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    When I lived in NC, about 20 minutes from Chapel Hill, I regularly shot skeet and handguns in the front yard. I shot a deer from the roof of the house once too, since County rules requires hunters to be 10 feet off the ground and the old deer stand (that predated me) wasn't safe to climb.

As more of that area gets overtaken with new yuppie subdivisions, HOA covenants are choking the opportunities for backyard ranges there.

There's still lots of affordable land in NC not far (<1 hour) from decent airports.
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ot-sqft-435600
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-35438?view=qv

Nearly 100 wooded acres for $240K. feel free to subdivide. About 1 hour from RDU and about 45 minutes to PTI (Greensboro)
    https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-16086?view=qv
    I moved from NC last year, just outside of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill triangle...hate to tell you, but the place has become a liberal shit hole with students tearing down civil war statues and anti-Trump rallies on every campus. I hear the mountains (@blues) and some parts of the coast are still nice, but the triangle cities (like most) should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I moved from NC last year, just outside of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill triangle...hate to tell you, but the place has become a liberal shit hole with students tearing down civil war statues and anti-Trump rallies on every campus. I hear the mountains (@blues) and some parts of the coast are still nice, but the triangle cities (like most) should be avoided.
    We are still fortunate to live in a fairly conservative and free county out here. Sure, town has plenty of "granola" and "think globally, act locally" types, but so far they haven't turned this into a Soviet oasis and Chernobyl-like worker's paradise.

People still shoot on their property and do as they please unless they've moved into one of those subdivisions with a heavy handed HOA.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I live on 40 acres in W. Montana. I had always dreamed of living in a place where I could shoot of my back porch in my underwear. It’s nice to not have to go anywhere hours away or deal with public ranges.
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Name:  4513D7D7-FA23-4381-9414-3C5F2799CAF1.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  51.4 KB

Yep. All the flippin’ time.

When it gets too cold, I walk inside 5 feet and grab a coffee.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Pretty envious of folks in this thread. It is a hopeful dream to one day share in the ability to go out the back door and shoot.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Not mine, but I’ve got a friend with 400 acres fairly close by. I can shoot out to about 200 yds. If I really sniffed around I could go further, but, I don’t really want to.

Normal setup, you can’t see some of the further targets:

Also I’m not the only one who uses it. Don’t leave your targets there for weeks unattended. Even still, shooting there is cheaper than any normal range fees, and I can do whatever I want (drills, holsters, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my buddy’s range. Sort of in his front yard. His neighbors are cool with it as we are considerate about when we shoot.

Name:  5786FCFC-E0EC-41D7-8501-204EDC6975A2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  78.8 KB

Name:  6E0D5B4A-D308-4CDC-BF02-0F5DA36B15A4.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  40.8 KB

It gets daily use. It’s 4 miles from my front door.

Regards.

lwt16, that is awesome.

NE GA here. I can shoot from the front or back porch. Oddly enough, I don’t that often and go to the range way more than shoot at home. I have two neighbors so I’m mindful of that, but they’re through the woods and can’t be seen from my house. About ten acres between us on either side. One has a daughter on the HS rifle team so they certainly don’t care.

West TN is where you seek. Other than shit tons of venomous snakes it is awesome. Only thing that sucks is you have James Yeager as your one and only training school that I have found here, or people trained by him, which I avoid all like the plague. I got tired of seeing bullet holes in the dividers in indoor ranges and not being able to practice really anything at a local range. Here I do whatever I want, complete self sustainment. Hunting, fishing, freshwater, livestock, crops. Never have to leave home.

User Tag List