Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shootin In Your backyard? who here does it

Shootin In Your backyard? who here does it

Every since I was a kid and my uncle (RIP) let me shoot in his backyard, ive wanted to live some place I can do that. He was in Georgia about 2 hours outside of Atlanta and his property was up against a national forest. So he had a couple acres I think but since the gov owned the forest, no one could live right behind him and his nearest neighbor was like 1/4 mile away down the dirt road.

Idk if this is even legal anymore anywhere but does anyone here do it? My parents are aging and ill so if I moved to a ruralish place I’d like to be within 90 minutes of a major airport, that’s my main goal ideally one hour but that might not be possible.

So I’m wondering a few things:

Anyone know of cities that we want to live that meet the criteria of distance to airport but rural enough to have land reasonably priced you can shoot on? Something with nice-ish weather so we don’t get stuck on our dirt road waiting for snow to melt. Obviously I’m pro gun states! I’m open to move anywhere really.

What kind of range do you have set up? What distance, targets, safety features,etc?

How often do you actually use it? I wonder if it’s like a pool where you use it all the time at first and then wish you never got it due to hassle. The hassle here is living rural is a hassle compared to city due to extra driving everywheee and lack of diversity in food options. So if I made the move and wound up not shootin much it would be for naught. I know this is more personality than anything but most people who buy boats for example end up regretting it. So wondering if anything similar for backyard gun ranges. I’ve never lived rural before so it seems daunting.
    Last edited by talos; 09-02-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Rural north central NC, where I am at, may fit your needs. I wouldn't say I have a range so much as I live on 12 acres suitable for hunting and shooting. Land is relatively cheap.

I think you find the PITA factor will be everything that comes with rural vs city life, more than maintaining a range. Lack of shopping, restaurants, ease of medical care, and so forth. We are within 45 minutes of RDU airport, but it feels further than that. A 30-45 minute commute may seem minimal if you are in/near a big city, but it adds up.

If you want the other benefits of rural life such as solitude and less noise (usually) I say go for it. If you have a lot of hobbies/interests that involve getting together with like-minded people that AREN'T hunting , fishing, or farming, I'd say stay away.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I live on six acres on the edge of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest in SW Washington. I have a 25 yard range in the side yard, where I routinely shoot .22s, center fire handguns, and my .357 lever gun. I do have neighbors in earshot, so I keep the sessions short, 30 minutes or so. It's nice to be able to chronograph handloads and such right there in the yard.

For longer sessions, longer ranges, or for shooting centerfire rifles, I go into the national forest. I've a couple spots four or five miles away where I can get out to 100 yards, and if I drive about an hour, out to 300.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Out in the country in SC.

MGM BCC steel etc..., Speedwell plate rack, target stands.

U shaped berm 25 yards deep 17 yards wide, can back off to get 500 yards.

At least once a week.
    Last edited by 1slow; 09-02-2019 at 03:03 PM.

I shoot in two of my neighbors' backyards. Does that make me a bad person?

(I do help clean up and pay my way. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Here in IN, if you're outside city limits and on 5 acres or more, you can shoot on your property. Land is pretty affordable, taxes are reasonable, and this is one of the gun friendliest states I've ever lived in...

I've got a friend just outside the Wichita, KS city limits with a small range he repurposed from what was originally intended to be a pond by the former owner who changed his mind.

Fifteen feet deep with a natural berm all the way around, about 25 yards long to the target stand (see pic). Great for handguns, SD shotgun practice and .22 plinking.

Fifteen minutes to the airport and about the same to decent restaurants and shopping.

I go out about once a week, he probably uses it once every month or two when the grandkids want to shoot.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

On my phone, but real quickly, getting a house on 6 acres was the driver for me to get a suppressor.

I shot my 22 pistol at night, after the kids were in bed, like 14 days in a row.

Buy the T post hangers on Ebay, precut steel, and T posts from Tractor supply. I think I was about $45 per target.

I shot more often, but less rounds. Sometimes bringing 1 or 2 mags and then done.

In terms of how often I shoot on my property:

I shoot far more often than I did when I had to go to an indoor range.

But far less than I thought I would when I first moved out here.

Another issue: do you have a SO? If not, it isn't highly likely you are going to find someone who wants to move out to the country. If you do, they have to be down with it. Good luck there. We bought our house from a couple where the husband was down with it and the wife was not.

Just buying a rural plot for shooting only is another issue entirely. I would make sure it is close enough to be convenient and it isn't already heavily used for recreation by locals. It took a few years for folks to stop trying to use our property for four wheeling, despite the fact that the previous owner was LE. I would also make sure it is unlikely to get annexed or incorporated into a situation that makes recreational shooting difficult.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I haven't lived in a city in 28 years. Never going to again, either. Night life and food aren't important to me. Sitting on my deck, watching the ducks on the lake, birds in the trees, and the occasional moose or bear, while sipping Scotch is what's important to me. Not having to deal with neighbors and their bullshit is even better. My wife grew up here, so it's a non-issue. My business is 1.5 miles away, so the commute (or walk) is easy. Major airport is 2 hrs away. Close enough.

I shoot, swim, boat, ride my ATV and snowmobile, right from my front door. Absolute paradise to me, but I get that it's not for everyone.

User Tag List