Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where y’all do private sales?

Where y’all do private sales?

Assuming legal in your state, where do you do private sales? A shooting range or gun store seems safe but maybe the owners don’t like you doing business there. I’ve done two this year in parking lots of shopping centers but felt weird. Just in top of the trunk in plain sight.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Whatever business parking lot is convenient and likely to have cameras. I'm partial to Wal-mart. Big parking lots, good surveillance camera coverage and usually good resolution. I've done everywhere from a Harley dealership to the YMCA, though. Always a business, always daylight.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    Assuming legal in your state, where do you do private sales? A shooting range or gun store seems safe but maybe the owners don’t like you doing business there. I’ve done two this year in parking lots of shopping centers but felt weird. Just in top of the trunk in plain sight.
    Our local police Dept has “safe exchange” zones in the public parking lot of all stations for both child custody exchanges and online “craigslist” type sales.

This is TX so the cops here don’t freak out over guns. Plus if your private buyer is paranoid about being on a police surveillance camera do you really want to sell them a gun ?

People use gun store and range parking lots but there is no guarantee it is any safer than anywhere else. Gun store oneres don’t like it because it perpetuates the myth that their business is involved illicit activity. I would also say that unless you are selling something to spend the money on something from that store, it is a bit disrespectful.

I'm partial to courthouse parking lots, especially on weekends (when they're not crowded). The parking lot tends to be in view of the road, well-lit, and many have cameras. Many are adjacent to (or share a building with) the county sheriff's office or other LE.

Site Supporter
    I’ve only done that with people I actually know, or people vetted by people I know and trust a lot. In those cases, I’ve done the exchange at one of our residences or at the shooting range where we made the deal to swap in the first place.

I've done them in parking lots of Lowes, McDonalds, a vacant gas station, tackle store, BassPro. I can get killed just as dead on video or not.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I can get killed just as dead on video or not.
    I had an armslist robbery on camera that wasn't a fatal robbery, but their next one was. The video in mine was pretty helpful in solving both.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I had an armslist robbery on camera that wasn't a fatal robbery, but their next one was. The video in mine was pretty helpful in solving both.
    Well, you might have to get by with email, phone numbers, and texts on mine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Was going to say, I generally do not do private sales for more or less this reason. The hassle and slight hit to my profit that I have to accept when selling online is worth it, IMO.

Only exceptions have been to friends.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 09-02-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Banned
    Private sales are illegal in Colorado now so it's moot to me but there are some places that sound good to me.

The safe exchange area of the police station.
    The clubhouse of the range I go to.
    Your LGS if they get a lot of your business anyway. Maybe pay them a reasonable gratuity

The last gun I bought was in the parking lot of my church either right before or right after service but the seller was someone I knew well

User Tag List