Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: New From Springfield

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Please post a video of you shooting a PPK like a laser. I shot one last year and it suuuucked. Without the 007 tie in it'd be relegated to an episode of Forgotten Weapons.
    I’ll chime in...’94 Interarms PPK/S did, in fact, shoot like a laser. Was reliable too. Downsides though: heaaaavy for a 7 shot .380. Slide bite would leave you with scars. Not a nice recoil impulse. Not a great trigger in SA or DA. Not great sights. And .380.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Why is capacity suddenly the new categorical imperative in carry guns? Does an average dude really need 439475 rounds packed into a tiny gun that's (probably) really hard to shoot well? Even with the sci-fi targeting system? Is accuracy/shootability even part of the conversation anymore? Why do we consider old-school micro carry guns like PPKs, P230s and Makarovs "outdated" when they shoot like freakin' lasers? Is that not more important in a CCW than capacity? Or even ballistics?

Why am I asking so many rhetorical questions? Does anyone give a rat's ass? Probably not... but here's a real Hellcat:

Capacity is easy to market to and an easy way to differentiate your product. It's an easier sell as to why this new gun is better than your old gun or the competition's gun.

The PPKs, etc. aren't outdated due to capacity. Weight, ergonomics, usable sights, that sort of thing is what makes them "outdated". I don't know that they shoot any better than the current crop of replacements, and if they do if it's enough to be relevant.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The PPKs, etc. aren't outdated due to capacity. Weight, ergonomics, usable sights, that sort of thing is what makes them "outdated". I don't know that they shoot any better than the current crop of replacements, and if they do if it's enough to be relevant.
    My experience has been that the older "classic" smaller autos were generally less accurate than modern pistols, but I wasn't always shooting the best specimens.

Some of the ergonomics were not bad, but yeah, their weight would drive away a lot of shooters nowadays. Case in point: I really, really enjoyed shooting a CZ Model 27... but for a .32, it was kind of large and overweight; the safety system was weird, yet the grip was oddly pleasant for me. I actually liked shooting it better than any of the PP/PPK family, but the sights were every bit as dismal as most small autos of the day. Those sights are now little better than "suggestions" for my old eyes. I find most of the current crop of small autos to be easier to field strip and clean. Some of the old stuff was "fiddly" by comparison.

I sort of wish this Hellcat wasn't striker-fired. Perhaps a hammer-fired "Wildcat" might show up someday.

g n

Please post a video of you shooting a PPK like a laser. I shot one last year and it suuuucked. Without the 007 tie in it'd be relegated to an episode of Forgotten Weapons.
    Back when I carried a S&W made PPK as a BUG to my Beretta 92FS, I would routinely post respectable groups at a local 25 yard range with regular FMJ ammo.

Then I made the mistake of sending it back to S&W for a recall. They sent it back and it never ran reliably again. I get at least one light strike per magazine now.

But accuracy wise it was always a tight shooter.

Regards.

Why is capacity suddenly the new categorical imperative in carry guns? Does an average dude really need 439475 rounds packed into a tiny gun that's (probably) really hard to shoot well? Even with the sci-fi targeting system? Is accuracy/shootability even part of the conversation anymore? Why do we consider old-school micro carry guns like PPKs, P230s and Makarovs "outdated" when they shoot like freakin' lasers? Is that not more important in a CCW than capacity? Or even ballistics?

Why am I asking so many rhetorical questions? Does anyone give a rat's ass? Probably not... but here's a real Hellcat:

If I can give up my beloved 8 shot 1911 for a 15 shot 9mm, I can give up my 6 shot PPK for a Hellcat with six Ma Dueces.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Please post a video of you shooting a PPK like a laser.
    You'd just be jealous of my dashing good looks, suave demeanor and electrifying machismo--all of which is amplified by the mere presence of a PPK. So I'll spare you the existential agony and post a few groups from my Makarov (which is also a fixed barrel, blowback design akin to the PPK):

First time I ever shot it, 10 yards standing:
    Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  39.0 KB
    Took me a few shots to get it dialed in, but the group centered pretty effortlessly.

Second time I ever shot it--after not shooting anything for over a month:
    Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  38.5 KB

As a point of comparison, this is with the XDE I shot immediately following the Mak:
    Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  29.5 KB

Like most small, polymer-framed 9mms for me (and probably a lot of people)... it shoots left of whatever the F I'm aiming at. The Mak puts rounds right where I put the sight. So did my PPK. So does my Sig P230. I will say I sold the PPK (older German model) because it had an issue (faulty mag catch) which I didn't want to pay to have fixed. And I'll say it wasn't exactly comfortable to shoot. But that gun was every bit as dead-on as the Mak--or any other pistol I've ever shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If I can give up my beloved 8 shot 1911 for a 15 shot 9mm, I can give up my 6 shot PPK for a Hellcat with six Ma Dueces.
    Grumman FTW. With 2400 rounds of .50 on board and 2000hp, BGs with SA Hellcat pistols and a Dodge Hellcat getaway car don't stand a chance.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

First time I ever shot it, 10 yards standing:
    B27s at 10 yards? Do you even Pistol-Forum, bro?

B8s at 25, dawg, or GTFO with laser beam talk.

Site Supporter
    B27s at 10 yards?
    Show me a decent group at 10 yards with your G43 or Shield, 365 or whatever striker-fired mini-me you carry... I'll shut up. Better yet, show me something at 25 yards with any of the aforementioned, since you obviously "Pistol Forum like a mofo."

Until then... lasuh' beam all day, home skillet.

Site Supporter
    A reliable DA/SA gun the size of a G43 , in .380 would be fine by me. Ohhhhh it has to be reliable.

The P232 may be oversized , but I don’t care. What I care about is they are not reliable in my experience .

An updated P232 with a normal mag release, slide lock lever, and a capacity of 10-12 rounds would be neat.

User Tag List