Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock Magazine Extensions

Glock Magazine Extensions

I am looking to add magazine extensions to my Glock 17 Magazines. What are the available options that would be durable enough for duty use?

Site Supporter
    I don't know how much capacity you want to add, but the +2 factory extensions are the only ones I use. If you want more than +2, then I think you should get the 24 round factory mags.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Most of the guys I know who were using them for duty stopped a few years back. A number, including me, had smacked the extension just hard enough at just the right angle during day to day activities to knock the extension off and have mag guts and rounds vomiting out of the holstered pistol. A couple of die hards relegated them to reloads... I put more mags on my plate carrier. I think Glock and ETS, and maybe Magpul make larger capacity magazines and I currently would use any of those rather than extensions.

Maybe I am jaded, but I also had very bad experiences with 10 round 1911 mags when that was my duty piece.....Chip McCormic and Tripp left me very disappointed. Their 7 and 8 round mags ran like raped apes.

ETA: my experience with Glock +2 extensions was on a G21, and that was the one that vomited kn me....

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 09-02-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Site Supporter
    I don't mind factory +2's or TTI's for reloads, but not for the mag in the gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I think Glock and ETS, and maybe Magpul make larger capacity magazines and I currently would use any of those rather than extensions.
    Magpul makes a 21 round mag. I have one with several hundred to maybe a thousand rounds through it without any problems. I think this is a great size mag!

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    ETA: my experience with Glock +2 extensions was on a G21, and that was the one that vomited kn me....
    Glock added a wedge insert to the +2's many years back that solved the baseplate coming off and launching the guts and rounds all over the room issue.
    The biggest issue with the improved +2's is the baseplate is damn near permanent now, you pretty much destroy the magazine and/or the +2 when you remove them (even with the proper tools).

The only Glock magazine extensions I'd trust for carry are the factory +2's. I carry one in my 19X when I am on the adventure motorcycle in the backcountry carrying OWB "concealed" (I often print, but under the circumstances it's no big deal, the "concealment" is mainly to keep grime off the gun), under a shirt or light jacket.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Magpul makes a 21 round mag. I have one with several hundred to maybe a thousand rounds through it without any problems. I think this is a great size mag!
    I've never had an issue with Magpul magazines and FMJ ammo.
    I have had many issues with them when using JHP ammo, with no metal lining in the magazines the sharp nose of the HP hangs up on the plastic and I get a empty chamber because the mag can't keep up with the slide.
    I had that issue crop up repeatedly in USPSA when i was shooting some JHP loads for a while, same mags with FMJ worked perfectly.
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I've never had an issue with Magpul magazines and FMJ ammo.
    I have had many issues with them when using JHP ammo, with no metal lining in the magazines the sharp nose of the HP hangs up on the plastic and I get a empty chamber because the mag can't keep up with the slide.
    I had that issue crop up repeatedly in USPSA when i was shooting some JHP loads for a while, same mags with FMJ worked perfectly.
    I have only shot FMJ through mine, so that is very good to know. Thanks for pointing this out.

Can't use Glock 24 round mags?

Extensions, of any type, have a history of not working well.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

My Magpul GL9 21 rounders have been unreliable but I haven't used them a whole lot. The Magpuls that I could get running required a good bit of break in. Mine are also relatively early so maybe they've gotten better but from what I've been reading that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've used OEM 12 round mags in my G26 but it's pretty unlikely I'd hit the butt of that gun on anything. I haven't tried the oem 19-rounders.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List