Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimmer Motor Hack - Perfect!!!

Trimmer Motor Hack - Perfect!!!

So I have a Gracey trimmer for 223 but it was substantially less buying without the motor, and when I started doing 300BO I bought one of the WFT trimmers. At first I used a drill press and that worked pretty well (had to rig up something so the base of the Gracey didn't rotate) but it was fatiguing to push the case up (ETA: My wrist works better when it is not upside down) and hold it at the same time, and if you lost your grip on the case it fell, or if you wanted to reposition your fingers you had to pull it out and start over.

So I figured there should be a way to make gravity my friend, and I went and bought a cheap drill at Walmart. I ended up with this one (that might be discontinued) just by buying the cheapest thing they had at the time, but there were two critical features that I figured out just by a happy accident. Even though it didn't come with a handle, it had the cylindrical area at the front where a handle would clamp on, and as it turns out, a 1-1/2" muffler clamp from he car parts section. And it also has a variable speed knob that adjust the RPM WHILE IT IS LOCKED ON. A couple of coupler nuts and it bolted right up and I mounted the board under the bench. While the drill I used doesn't seem to be available anymore this one is only a few bucks more. Or you might already have a drill with a handle.

Anyway, worked out sweet enough I thought I would post. This even makes two handed operation great, you can drop it in with one had, and then grab it with the other hand for the cutting, while hand number one goes back and finds and orients the next case. When one hand get tired you can swap the bins around to switch hands.

Name:  Slide1.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  59.8 KB

Name:  Slide2.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  49.8 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-02-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Great idea! I also have a Gracey for 223 but everything else is done the hard way. This looks like a good solution for more volume without breaking the bank.

BTW, just had to go to WM for a few odd and ends for a rifle bedding project (and Oreos...) and checked on the $18 drill. Even though the www made it look discontinued they were on the shelf.

For $18 I decided to buy one for backup, it was a decent drill and an extra might be handy, and if my trimmer drill ever dies this one will swap right in.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Could you mount something with this to use the trimmer?

https://www.amazon.com/Deal%E3%80%91...gateway&sr=8-3
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Brilliant idea!

I don't handload as much rifle as I once did, but love my WFT for 5.56/.223. This would even make life better.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

Might be too fast:
    No Load Speed: 8000r / min ~ 28000r / min

The drill is 3000 max, and I probably use it at 60%. I tried it a little faster and it needs to cut, but if it catches even a little bit it will pull the case out of your grip.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Might be too fast:
    No Load Speed: 8000r / min ~ 28000r / min

The drill is 3000 max, and I probably use it at 60%. I tried it a little faster and it needs to cut, but if it catches even a little bit it will pull the case out of your grip.
    Yeah, so 28000 will take a finger with it. I do like the idea of just mounting the part of the drill you need. Maybe I could sacrifice a drill for the guts and make a mount.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I like it!

Mine is a Possum Hollow trimmer, which needs an upgrade, on a $3 thrift store 18V drill. It was missing the battery so I took it home and put it on a 24V power supply. The added voltage makes the drill spin faster which cuts down on the trim time.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

Torque may become an issue with that. A drill has an internal gear reduction which turns the speed into torque.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Must rename thread to, "Feel stupid you bought a Giraud Power Trimmer." I could have spent more money on components. Seriously though, some good ideas popping up here as of late. Thanks for sharing @mmc45414.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-02-2019 at 06:21 PM.

User Tag List