Thread: P320 Light Strikes and Failure to Fire Thread

Site Supporter

P320 Light Strikes and Failure to Fire Thread

I'm starting this thread specifically to document light strikes aka Failures To Fire (as opposed to the other FTF) with P320 variants. My Agency is issuing a version of the P320 and I have taken the one day P320 factory armorer's course so I have more than a passing interest.

As documented in other P320 threads over the past few years, I currently have two P320s, a 320 Compact produced in August 2014 (first month of production) and a P320 X-Carry produced Post-upgrade. Both in 9mm.

The "early adopter" compact has had a few issues, I had to install a set of .40 cal sights to get the gun to POA/POI and it had some light strike issues with steel and aluminum cased ammo but had generally been reliable with brass cased factory ammo.

This gun went back to the Mothership in NH for the drop safe "upgrade" and complaints of light strikes. I got it back a couple of months ago and last Sunday I had a LS/FTF with Federal 150 grain sythtec. The primer strike was off center and the round subsequently fired out of a G19X. This was only the second time I've fired this particular gun since it came back from the upgrade.

Until today the X carry had been 100% reliable. I had two LS/FTF in less than 50 rounds with the X carry and Remington brown box 115 FMJ. The brown box has proven reliable in everything else I've tried it in and both rounds subsequently fired, one in the X acrry and one in a G17.

I have about 3200 rounds through my issued P320 at this point. I haven’t had any failures to fire. I don’t remember seeing any during the academy, however other stoppages were observed. I’ve personally had five stoppages but three of them were my fault (riding the slide stop or letting the slide come into contact with a barricade during shooting). The two stoppages that I don’t think were my fault were both stove pipes. I can’t speak to the stoppages that other people have had.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I have about 3200 rounds through my issued P320 at this point. I haven’t had any failures to fire. I don’t remember seeing any during the academy, however other stoppages were observed. I’ve personally had five stoppages but three of them were my fault (riding the slide stop or letting the slide come into contact with a barricade during shooting). The two stoppages that I don’t think were my fault were both stove pipes. I can’t speak to the stoppages that other people have had.
    I've had some issues with unintentionally activating the slide catch on the X frame guns when shooting fast. it seems to resolve to my knuckle making contact with the right side of the ambi release. i.e. loose nut behind the trigger.

I'm planning on picking up one of our agency POW models - hopefully it proves more reliable than the commercial guns I've experienced.
    I'll need to see a few thousand trouble free rounds before I consider hanging up the Glock.

Site Supporter
    I took my P365, 320 X-Carry and full-size 320 .45 ACP to the range last week.

I had six or eight light primer strikes (out of @ 200 rounds fired) with the 365 and X-Carry...the rounds fired with a second or third striker hit. I have @ 600 rounds total through the 365 and @ 1500 through the X-Carry. The only other issue with either gun was some failures to feed with 124gr. HST's hanging up on the 365's feed ramp. I also have @ 1,000 rounds through my M17 without any issues.

I attributed the primer issues to the WWB 9mm ammo I was using, until...

I put about 200 rounds through the .45 320 next and had about 5 light primer strikes using Federal AE 230 gr.

I pulled the strikers out of each when I got home, but didn't find any oil/grease/crud/etc. that would cause drag or impede the strikers.

I took all four back to the range yesterday and put @ 200 rounds through each with no problems.
    Last edited by kwb377; 09-03-2019 at 01:37 PM.

I have a full sized CPO P320 in 40S&W, and I've put well over 1000 rounds through it with no LS/FTF or any failures whatsoever. Reloads, factory, various bullet weights, etc.. 400 rounds were put through her in one single session, no issues. Maybe it's because it's so well used and broken in.

Site Supporter
    Had another light strike today with the 320 Xcarry and Remington brown box 115 FMJ. Appears to be decent strike but off center - the round fired when rechambered.

Name:  9C85CB33-B163-41ED-9E7E-1DF343E128B1.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  30.0 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 10-06-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Site Supporter
    Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one since it is a FTF issue.

Despite issues with my commercial P320s the GOV contract guns had been trouble free.

We have recently had reports at work of P320 trigger springs breaking somewhere around 3k rounds.

The guns in question were issued to new agents at the academy which means at least 2k or more of lead free ammo.

I mention this because when we issued P229s, we found many P229s issued to new agents at the academy would break or otherwise have extractor issues in their first year after graduation and it was traced to the increased pressure and slide velocity with the lead free ammo. The issue was resolved by changing the extractors on all P229s prior to graduation an issue for field use.

Anyone else have issues with P320 trigger springs breaking ?

User Tag List