Thread: Trex Decking Board Ehnace vs Select and Hidden Fastener vs Screw

Trex Decking Board Ehnace vs Select and Hidden Fastener vs Screw

So what is the big difference between the Enhance and Select line of board? The enhance being entry level and the Select is mid grade. The patterns are slightly different and the Enhance is a little thinner. Is there a noticeable difference in durability, longevity and overall quality after installation? Both have a 25 year limited warranty, but the Select is about double in price.

How about the difference in installation, grooved vs square? Grooved uses hidden fasteners and square uses screws, is there a difference in durability, longevity and overall quality after installation?

Any and all comments and recommendations are welcome.

I'm not familiar with the current Trex product. However I built my deck with Trex 25 years ago. I don't recall with certainty but I think at the time it was a singular product with no options. I screwed through the face and used the supplied spacer to allow for expansion between boards. I am still satisfied with the product.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    So what is the big difference between the Enhance and Select line of board? The enhance being entry level and the Select is mid grade. The patterns are slightly different and the Enhance is a little thinner. Is there a noticeable difference in durability, longevity and overall quality after installation? Both have a 25 year limited warranty, but the Select is about double in price.

How about the difference in installation, grooved vs square? Grooved uses hidden fasteners and square uses screws, is there a difference in durability, longevity and overall quality after installation?

Any and all comments and recommendations are welcome.
    You can use the hidden fasteners with the non grooved boards if you have a biscuit cutter. Cut biscuit grooves on both boards over the joist, it's more work but cheaper than the grooved boards. If you use a Trex certified installer, you get the full replacement warranty.

#RESIST

I like 1/2 inch space between boards so I doubt that the hidden fastners would work for me.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    We don't use Trex, we use either TimberTech or Tamko Envision. So I don't know the specifics of Trex products.

The thickness shouldn't be an issue, you'll just have to be sure your joists are spaced correctly to avoid flex/sag.

With the brands I use, higher cost usually gets you a thicker board, better finish, a more natural wood look (it'll be shaded, vs a flat color, if you care - some people don't), and more options for installation. Like many things, you get what you pay for, although you also might not want or need the higher end product.

Hidden fastener is a cleaner look. It's not better or worse than screwing from the top and using a plug kit. We've put in dozens with plug kits and they're fine, you just have color matched plugs all over. You also don't have a choice if that's the only option for the board you picked. I make sure my customers know in advance if we can't use hidden fasteners. Again, some care (forcing them to upgrade) and some don't.

User Tag List