Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chattanooga police say person at center of UTC campus search was off-duty officer

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    While in full uniform?

Nope.
    Explain?

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    Explain?
    A LEO in full uniform required to carry a rifle bag/box?

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Should a LEO in uniform keep his taser in a box or his duty pistol in a case?

If he was out of uniform in civ clothing yeah definitely, while in full uniform, on or off duty, there is no reason for any type of rifle case when moving a rifle.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’ve had a police car parked in my driveway for the last 12 years. It’s a very normal thing throughout much of the country.
    As a smart man named Pat once said, "All policing is regional." In some places, the people know who all the neighborhood cops are, and in some places cops have to hide out in their own homes, due to the kind of neighbors they have.
    Last edited by Horseman; 08-31-2019 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    As a smart man named Pat once said, "All policing is regional." In some places, the people know who all the neighborhood cops are, and in some places cops have to hide out in their own homes, due to the kind of neighbors they have.
    I’m well aware, I was just pointing out that the officer is not an “idiot” because he did not keep his identity as a police officer a secret.

I know several Chattanooga SWAT guys, they’re a pretty squared-away group.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    A) the officer is an idiot for not protecting his identity. Idiot neighbor calling is a sign that he’s not doing a good job of protecting himself and his home from someone that might want to hurt him.

B) there’s a real supervisory failure to ensure timely investigation of the call.

C) great job by the troops for taking the call seriously and taking care of business. False alarms are just opportunities to train

Lets pump the brakes here, I don't think the officer is to blame. Sounds like the call takers should have asked a few more questions and relayed that information accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’m well aware, I was just pointing out that the officer is not an “idiot” because he did not keep his identity as a police officer a secret.

I know several Chattanooga SWAT guys, they’re a pretty squared-away group.
    Understood, and I agree. If there's anyone who precipitated this, it's the reporting person.

Site Supporter
    Unless one exercises pretty high level PERSEC. I suspect most neighbors will pretty quickly learn you're the police, even if you don't wear a uniform, carry a long gun to and from the house. or have a takehome cruiser.

I took a retirement job at a community college where the campus security supervisor and the new overall security director hope to turn the "Public Safety Division" into a campus police force. I was encouraged at a training class on the campus alert system in which reports of armed subjects were discussed. The director was quick to point out that we didn't want to send out alert for off-duty police officers. I suspect he remembers a recent bruhaha in F.C. where panic ensued over an off-duty officer's (gasp!) holster.

{erhaps there is sp,ehope for this place.

Site Supporter
    I am flabberghasted by the "security" types that I have to work with frequently. They are frequently young college students away from home for the first time. They don't think clearly often. Just this week I was working with a young man who was talking to me for almost 10 minutes when he remembered he needed to document some information for the call. This was not the first time I worked with this young man, and he seemed genuinely surprised when he asked my name and rank, and I pointed out that both of those bits of information are embroidered in gold thread on the front of my uniform blouse in 3/4 inch letters.

These are the same guys that find a discarded cartridge on the ground and demand an officer to come and collect it. Or follow a trespasser for six blocks after they leave the property while on the phone with dispatch so we can find the guy that is no longer trespassing. Or demands we come and take an airsoft pistol for safekeeping.

Sorry for the drift.

As for thie call...there seemed to be a lack of thinking going on. The caller communicating that it might be a police officer should have been in the call for the dispatcher, field officers, supervisors, and eventually incident commander to be able to review and slow the roll. Not not respond, but respond thoughtfully.

pat

User Tag List