Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Federal 45 Auto HST: Standard Pressure or +P in HK USPs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Thanks Doc. So there's no worries of the +P version getting too fast out of the 5.09" USP Tactical barrel?

Looks like I'll get a box of each to test, and if I can tell a significant recoil difference then I'll likely go with the standard pressure round.
    Not Doc but as I recall the issue with +P 45 is reliability and durability issues in platforms less robust than the USP rather than terminal ballistics.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not Doc but as I recall the issue with +P 45 is reliability and durability issues in platforms less robust than the USP rather than terminal ballistics.
    I've read about this being an issue in 1911s, but not Glocks or M&Ps. Are you perhaps thinking of .45 Super?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'd have to find the post in another thread about 45 HST, but Doc mentioned bad things happen when it gets above somewhere around 930 fps. I'm just curious if the 5.09" barrel of the USP Tactical would get the 230gr +P HST going too fast for optimal performance.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 09-02-2019 at 09:00 AM.

When I had USP 45s and was smitten with velocity I tested .45Super in my guns. That was too much fun for anything but range retardery, the guns ran fine though.

If both run reliably and accurately in your guns then I'd let some sort of test make my decision, such as running Bill Drills or failure drills on a timer maybe.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Springs

I have read other's observations that with +P or +P+ velocities, recoil and magazine springs have to up to snuff. With increased slide velocities the magazine spring must be able to lift the next cartridge so the slide can pick it up. At least with recoil springs, one can tailor that spring to a particular round for proper function.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've read about this being an issue in 1911s, but not Glocks or M&Ps. Are you perhaps thinking of .45 Super?
    That’s what I said “in platforms less robust than the USP.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    I'd have to find the post in another thread about 45 HST, but Doc mentioned bad things happen when it gets above somewhere around 930 fps. I'm just curious if the 5.09" barrel of the USP Tactical would get the 230gr +P HST going too fast for optimal performance.
    Doc answered that in post 4 of this thread.

Both versions work adequately. The standard pressure is more forgiving in a wider range of handguns. In a USP, both work well and there is a slight, but measurable increase in terminal performance with the +P.
    You are confusing cycle of operation problems in 1911s etc with terminal ballistics issues (which don’t exist).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    I have read other's observations that with +P or +P+ velocities, recoil and magazine springs have to up to snuff. With increased slide velocities the magazine spring must be able to lift the next cartridge so the slide can pick it up. At least with recoil springs, one can tailor that spring to a particular round fikor proper function.
    That is true of other platforms but HKs tend to be “over engineered.”

As such, USPs work fine with 45 Super ammo and do not require spring changes for +p or super ammo.

This entire thread is much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Both my full-size S&W 1.0 and 2.0 .45acp have been 100% with all ammo, both JHP and FMJ! Quite satisfied with that platform.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    Both my full-size S&W 1.0 and 2.0 .45acp have been 100% with all ammo, both JHP and FMJ! Quite satisfied with that platform.
    My M&P45 1.0 is part Cajun - it'll eat anything.

User Tag List