Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal 45 Auto HST: Standard Pressure or +P in HK USPs?

Federal 45 Auto HST: Standard Pressure or +P in HK USPs?

Looking to standardize on Federal 45 Auto 230gr HSTs for my HK USPs. This would be for carry in a USP 45 Tactical and USP 45 Compact with extended threaded barrel.

I remember seeing DocGKR mention that bad things happen when 230gr HST gets too fast. So my question is, with barrel lengths ranging from 4.4" - 5", is there any reason to use the +P load over the standard pressure HST? Would the 5" barrel get the +P load moving too fast?
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-31-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Lucky Gunner results

Here is a link to the above website. They tested multiple pistol calibers and bullet weights. Photos and stats galore in this article.

There is a comparison a of HST 230gr 45acp in standard and +P velocity. The difference isn't much at all with penetration and expansion. At the beginning of the article it states that a Kahr was used for 45 testing. It is an interesting read.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...c-tests/#45ACP

Site Supporter
    I don't have any experience with HKs, but I've shot both versions through my .45s - an M&P45 FS 1.0, a Colt Combat Commander and an S&W M22-4 4" revolver. The M&P didn't care which one I used, but both the Colt and the revolver were noticeably more controllable with the standard velocity load. There doesn't seem to be much difference in performance between the two loads, and both are on Doc's list. I've chosen to standardize on the standard velocity load. It's also easier to work up practice handloads for standard velocity .45 ACP.

JAH 3rd: Really? Most "tests" I pay attention to use validated simulant material proven to have a correlation with actual shooting incidents...

Both versions work adequately. The standard pressure is more forgiving in a wider range of handguns. In a USP, both work well and there is a slight, but measurable increase in terminal performance with the +P.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

.45 ACP:
    Barnes XPB 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
    Hornady Critical Duty 220 gr +P JHP
    Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
    Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)

Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
    Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
    Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)
    ref. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....f-Defense-Ammo

Both standard and +P make the 2016 recommended .45ACP list for duty ammo.
    -if you can find both, get both and try them in your practice shooting. You might test for accuracy; time to follow-up shot (split times); and general feel in both of the subject HK guns.

-both on are on the recommended list; I don't know what it means to say "bad things happen" regarding bullet velocity. Do more research to determine what velocity is being referred to and determine what velocity a 5" barrel provides. If the +P is on the OK list, I suspect 5" will be fine.

-try not to overthink carry ammo. If it's on the list, then carry it as long as you've got some confidence you'll be hitting where you aim. For some of us, we're used to being told what caliber to carry; which gun to carry; and what ammo to carry. If the ammo is on the P-F list from DocGKR, we can feel a bit better about what we've got loaded in our guns, but we're not going to worry about it when we go to work if it's not on that list. For me, I was able to carry anything I wanted off-duty and I'd just choose whatever carry ammo I could find to buy if it was on DocGKR's list.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Both versions work adequately. The standard pressure is more forgiving in a wider range of handguns. In a USP, both work well and there is a slight, but measurable increase in terminal performance with the +P.
    Thanks Doc. So there's no worries of the +P version getting too fast out of the 5.09" USP Tactical barrel?

Looks like I'll get a box of each to test, and if I can tell a significant recoil difference then I'll likely go with the standard pressure round.

I've shot both out of a P320 full sized. I find the standard pressure version to be slightly more accurate, has less muzzle blast, less muzzle flash, and softer recoil. I also find the Speer GD and Winchester RB to have less flash than the HST. I'm fine with carrying any of these 3 standard pressure loads in my duty P320.

I'd go with the one that shoots best in my guns. In my .45's, the standard velocity load P45HST2 shoots smaller groups than the +P load pretty much across the board. The Winchester Ranger RA45T is another load that shoots extremely well across all my .45 guns. If Speer Gold Dot shot smaller groups in my carry gun I'd use that.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Thanks to Galbraith and LtDave for making mechanical observations about the side-effects of a particular round when fired. They bring up accuracy, muzzle flash, muzzle blast and recoil in their comments. These areas affect the shooter's ability of getting off an accurate shot.....such as flinching when anticipating the recoil. While bullet penetration and performance is essential when choosing a self-defense round, the areas they bring up are critical to putting the bullet on target to begin with. The weapon of choice and one's ability to proficiently use is it is also paramount. Thanks again guys!

There are a fair number of reports that the +P load is an excellent handgun hunting round. I wonder about firing them in a 1911--some 1911's might not hold up to the abuse--but the do well in a Smith 625 (which in both the Long Colt and ACP versions is an underappreciated handgun).

User Tag List