Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Single Six (and Seven, Nine and Ten, of course) Thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Ruger Single Six (and Seven, Nine and Ten, of course) Thread

These keep coming up in other threads. Realized we don't have a thread just for them. So here it is.

I'll start with some non-enabling for myself, and then we can go on from there.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    ... The first should be a Single Six in .22LR with a Bisley grip. Just because.
    Like this one:

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/rug-0...ley-22-6-5-ss/

And someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy one myself.
    According to Iowegan over on Rugerforum.net, all the .22 caliber Single Sixes (new model at least; I'm not clear on old models) have .224 grooves, which means they are oversize for .22LR. However, they are the perfect size for .22WMR. So, if this is true, in spite of what some may say, they don't actually make slightly different barrels on "Convertible" sets that are 0.001" larger in the grooves. You can actually run a WMR cylinder in any NM .22LR Single Six and expect better accuracy than with .22LR. I read it on the internet, so...

However, .22WMR runs ~$0.20-30/rd typically or higher, which is solidly into centerfire prices. And they can be reloaded for even less. So why not just shoot those rounds in a gun made for them? And the .32s are an intermediate solution for the reloader. You can only shoot the $0.04-0.10/rd cheap stuff if you're willing to tolerate inherently reduced accuracy.

There's an article in a magazine that was on the rack at Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago where a guy had his smith rebarrel a couple single sixes from spare 10/22 barrels he had sitting around, and accuracy was excellent. If you're going to go there, you might even start with a chunk of match-grade .22LR blank. That quickly gets expensive, though.

So at this point, I seem to have talked myself out of getting that stainless Bisley. It's not the right choice for someone who will never get "warm fuzzies" knowing a mechanical thing just isn't as good as it could be. And it's not better than a Buck Mark.

But I still think they're cool and would buy one before a Wrangler. And if I stumbled across a silly deal on a particularly nice .32 Fed at a gun show, it might follow me home.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The bore size discussion with respect to .22 caliber Single Sixes is an interesting one, but I would encourage anyone who wants a Single Six to bracket that discussion and simply shoot their gun with a variety of .22lr ammunition before worrying about bore size.

Here's some further Single Six enabling:

Stainless Bisley Single Six, 22lr non-convertible:

Bisley .32 H&R Magnum, recent production:

Both are well suited to their roles as understudy revolvers to my big bore Bisleys, and the .32 in particular has been a favorite for introducing new shooters to centerfire revolvers.
    Last edited by oregon45; 08-31-2019 at 12:17 PM.

According to Iowegan over on Rugerforum.net, all the .22 caliber Single Sixes (new model at least; I'm not clear on old models) have .224 grooves, which means they are oversize for .22LR. However, they are the perfect size for .22WMR. So, if this is true, in spite of what some may say, they don't actually make slightly different barrels on "Convertible" sets that are 0.001" larger in the grooves. You can actually run a WMR cylinder in any NM .22LR Single Six and expect better accuracy than with .22LR. I read it on the internet, so...
    Fascinating. My first handgun was a Convertible Single Six in stainless steel, with a 5.5" barrel and fixed sights. While I have other gun projects to occupy my time, money, and interest, I wonder about getting another Single Six or a Ten. The information about the bore diameter is appreciated. The fitting of custom barrel to frame is exciting, becuase I've also thought about really getting out there for a rimfire and having a "No. 5" style grip frame as part of a Single project. I wonder exactly how mechnically accurate the gun could become.

Gary Reeder offers a worked over Single Eight that looks pretty neat.

Double Deuce
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    The bore size discussion with respect to .22 caliber Single Sixes is an interesting one, but I would encourage anyone who wants a Single Six to bracket that discussion and simply shoot their gun with a variety of .22lr ammunition before worrying about bore size.

Here's some further Single Six enabling:

Stainless Bisley Single Six, 22lr non-convertible:

Bisley .32 H&R Magnum, recent production:

Both are well suited to their roles as understudy revolvers to my big bore Bisleys, and the .32 in particular has been a favorite for introducing new shooters to centerfire revolvers.
    Scoundrel. I've been lusting after a small-framed Ruger Bisley for years. Beautiful pieces!

They're great guns. Heavy for what they are, but very nicely balanced and quite similar in overall feel to their larger, centerfire, siblings.

Here is my .32 H&R Mag single six. It is a fun gun to shoot!

Name:  1761164364.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  62.1 KB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    Fascinating. My first handgun was a Convertible Single Six in stainless steel, with a 5.5" barrel and fixed sights. While I have other gun projects to occupy my time, money, and interest, I wonder about getting another Single Six or a Ten. The information about the bore diameter is appreciated. The fitting of custom barrel to frame is exciting, becuase I've also thought about really getting out there for a rimfire and having a "No. 5" style grip frame as part of a Single project. I wonder exactly how mechnically accurate the gun could become.

Gary Reeder offers a worked over Single Eight that looks pretty neat.

Double Deuce
    Since it appears someone may rely on it, here are some links directly to posts I read last night.

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-...ml#post4162497

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-rimfire...tml#post553909

And to correct my statement about 0.001 in. in the OP, I just checked the SAAMI specs.

.22LR bore is 0.217 and grooves are 0.222

.22WMR bore is 0.219 and grooves are 0.224

Discussion in the links above is a little imprecise, as they discuss the bore being 0.222 vs. 0.224. Not quite correct nomenclature, but I think most readers understand.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I bought one of these https://ruger.com/products/newModelS...eets/8165.html to replace .22 magnum.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Ive had several over the years but never tried various ammo to see about best accuracy. Its standard for most 22s to see what shoots best in a particular gun, and your individual example may not shoot the same ammo the same way the next serial numbered example off the line may.

Some people use Paco Kellys ACU'RZR gizmo for optimizing accuracy. It bumps the bullets up to .223 or .224". Its had some good reviews and comments. Its probably worth a try for finicky guns or just wanting to get best accuracy from whatever ammo is on hand.

The Rimfire Central forum is probably a good place to look or ask questions about the Rugers and seeing what results they are getting with them.

Shooting a single six will help get your SA reloading technique worked out. they arent nearly as slow as most make out, though it appears many people just think theres no point in even trying, judging from some of the cowboy shoots Ive been to. I always just wanted to get back shooting with as little delay as possible when I was a kid and shooting scads rounds of 22s through mine. I worked out a system that has also worked pretty well with centerfire SAs
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-31-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I worked out a system that has also worked pretty well with centerfire SAs
    Any interest in elaborating?

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List