Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone catch the new David Chappelle Netflix special?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Totally different incident, bro. You would not be aware of my reference.
    Mea culpa.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Watched S&S over the weekend, loved it! Wife, too.

Site Supporter
    I enjoyed it more for his skewering social taboos than for the laughs. There were a few good laughs, but as pure comedy, I thought it was just ok. Worth an hour.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    same here...I watched the show based on this thread and the hype around it.

Was somewhat disappointed...not that anyone is hinging on my opinion:

Not explosively politically incorrect as I'd have imagined based on media hype. In fact I think the media hype around this is more of a story--it really wasn't that controversial. There was some gross and uncomfortable moments. However there wasn't a huge debasement of protected classes and intersections. If people are losing their shit over this stand up act, wow, holy fuck, we have problems...serious, serious, deep, wtf-is-wrong-with-you problems.

There were about 5-6 really funny moments, a lot of amusing moments, and some duds.

I thought the Juicy Smallyay bit was nails.

Watched it because if this thread.. it was ok, but there were some cringe worthy sections. I’m glad he took on the SJW warriors head on.

Watched a bit of Bill Burr because of this thread. He’s in your face as well, but the Trump is a racist bit is a bit tiresome. His sign language gorilla bit is pure gold if you watch Bills hands during it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Chappelle gets Mark Twain Prize

"Chappelle informed the audience "I did not write a speech." During his impromptu remarks, he defended freedom of speech when talking about comedians he knows who are "very racist."

"(I) don't get mad at 'em, don't hate on 'em," he said. "Man, it's not that serious. The First Amendment is first for a reason. Second Amendment is just in case the First one doesn't work out."
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Student

Platinum Bait

(Daily Beast) Dave Chappelle Backed by Family of Late Transgender Comedian Daphne Dorman From ‘The Closer’
    ---
    He had previously referred to their friendship in his 2019 Netflix special Sticks & Stones, and credited Dorman for defending him against similar admonishment after some of his jokes in the set were labeled transphobic.

The crowd let out a slight gasp when Chappelle stated that Dorman had taken her own life in October 2019, a few weeks after sticking up for him online. “I don’t know what the trans community did for her,” Chappelle said, “but I don’t care, because I feel like she wasn’t their tribe. She was mine. She was a comedian in her soul.”
    ---
    And while some voiced concerns that Chappelle may be using his relationship as a cheap get-out-of-jail-free card to validate his earlier line of commentary, Dorman’s family believes there should be no offense taken, for they certainly aren’t.

Two of Dorman’s sisters told The Daily Beast they were outraged at the suggestion that Chappelle’s set was transphobic or derogatory toward the LGBTQ community, saying they wanted to make clear they supported the comedian.

“Daphne was in awe of Dave’s graciousness,” Dorman’s sister Becky wrote in a text. “She did not find his jokes rude, crude, off-coloring, off-putting, anything. She thought his jokes were funny. Daphne understood humor and comedy—she was not offended. Why would her family be offended?”

“Dave loved my sister and is an LGBTQ ally,” Dorman’s younger sister Brandy added in a text message. “His entire set was begging to end this very situation.”

“At this point I feel like he poured his heart out in that special and no one noticed,” Brandy wrote in a separate Facebook post. “What he’s saying to the LGBTQ family is, ‘I see you. Do you see me? I’m mourning my friend in the best way I know how. Can you see me? Can you allow me that?’... This was a call to come together, that two oppressed factions of our nation put down their keyboards and make peace. How sad that this message was lost in translation.”
    ---
    https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1166937728681791488

(Breitbart) Netflix Suspends Trans Employee Who Crashed Executive Meeting to Protest Dave Chappelle
    ---
    The company position was apparently not enough for Field who reportedly tried to crash an executive-level meeting at Netflix as a protest over Chappelle’s shows. Field, along with two others, was reportedly suspended after taking that action.

Field is not the only transgender Netflix employee who has taken personal action over Chappelle’s comedy specials. Jaclyn Moore, the white, male-to-female writer and showrunner of the Netflix drama Dear White People, has claimed to have quit working for the streaming giant over the Chappelle controversy.
    ---
    (LGBTQ Nation) Netflix fires trans employee planning protest against Dave Chapelle’s transphobic comedy special
    “All these white people are going around talking to the press and speaking publicly on Twitter and the only person who gets fired is the Black person," one Netflix employee said.
    By LGBTQ Nation Saturday, October 16, 2021

Netflix has fired a Black, pregnant, transgender employee who was organizing an October 20 walkout in protest of comedian Dave Chappelle’s transphobic stand-up comedy special The Closer.

The employee, who asked not to be named for fear of harassment, was fired for allegedly leaking metrics about the special to the media.

Those metrics included how much Netflix paid for the special ($24.1 million) and how many people watched it (10 million people as of October 13), according to Bloomberg News.
    ---
    (Verge) Trans employees at Netflix plan walkout even as one activist is reinstated following suspension
    The walkout will take place on October 20th
    By Zoe Schiffer@ZoeSchiffer Oct 12, 2021, 9:02pm EDT

---
    The trans employee resource group at Netflix is planning a company-wide walkout on October 20th to protest statements made by co-CEO Ted Sarandos regarding Dave Chappelle’s latest comedy special The Closer.

“Trans Lives Matter. Trans Rights Matter. And as an organization, Netflix has continually failed to show deep care in our mission to Entertain the World by repeatedly releasing content that harms the Trans community and continually failing to create content that represents and uplifts Trans content. We can and must do better!” wrote a leader of the trans ERG in an internal organizing message.

The event comes even as Netflix has reinstated Terra Field and two other employees who were suspended after attending a director-level meeting they were not invited to. Field had recently posted a viral tweet thread about the Dave Chappelle special, saying it “attacks the trans community, and the very validity of transness.” Field was not aware that she was not supposed to attend the meeting, according to people familiar with the situation. Netflix now plans to issue guidance to employees regarding its meeting attendance policy. (Disclosure: The Verge is producing a forthcoming show for Netflix.)
    ---

I started to watch it, and though I usually like his routines, I wasn't engaged and stopped watching only a few minutes in. I must've missed all the controversy...just didn't keep my interest enough to stick around.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Don’t think I ever ended up watching Sticks and Stones but I was dying laughing from The Closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup

I think Daphne's sisters nailed it down. If the lgtbqlmnop community is going to keep looking for a fight where there isn't one, that's on them.

I love Chappelle's comedy. I don't always agree with him, but I'm pretty sure neither he nor I give enough of a shat to even mention it in most daily conversations, much less start an internet vendetta over it.
    Ob ille si ergo. Fortibus es in ero! Nos ille, demus trux. Inemis sum cauxen dux.

User Tag List