Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone catch the new David Chappelle Netflix special?

Site Supporter
    Watched it last night based on the comments in this thread. I agree. He was definitely in DGAF mode. In fact, he almost seemed angry about the issues he discussed. It felt like he went out there to start a fight.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Watched it last night based on the comments in this thread. I agree. He was definitely in DGAF mode. In fact, he almost seemed angry about the issues he discussed. It felt like he went out there to start a fight.

Chris
    *Takes slow drag on long cigarette...*

maybe, we all need to get out there start more fights about these topics?
    the soft approach isn't working.
    the reasoned approach isn't working.
    the appeasement approach isn't working.
    perhaps, the time has come to take the dunk and teabag approach.

note... while looking for a meme for that, I found out there's an actual name for it... the Texas Tea Bag Dunk.

Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I usually steer away from political comedy (from either side), but I liked it. Surprised nobody has mentioned the part where he says 'I hate guns, but I own a few.' Maybe not liking guns but being pro 2A is too confusing for the media to handle.
    Last edited by DC_P; 09-01-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    I usually steer away from political comedy (from either side), but I liked it. Surprised nobody has mentioned the part where he says 'I hate guns, but I own a few.' Maybe not liking guns but being pro 2A is too confusing for the media to handle.
    I thought it also pretty funny / interesting when he said that every black person eligible to do so should go out and purchase a firearm...it's the only way to get the law changed.

I remember years ago not being particularly impressed with his humor but this show was a breath of fresh air. I'll need to go back and check out some of his stuff.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_P View Post
    Surprised nobody has mentioned the part where he says 'I hate guns, but I own a few.' Maybe not liking guns but being pro 2A is too confusing for the media to handle.
    Chappelle seems to like acknowledging ugly truths. He may not like having to own a gun or two but the other option is far worse to him (and us).
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Anyone catch the new David Chappelle Netflix special?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Chappelle seems to like acknowledging ugly truths. He may not like having to own a gun or two but the other option is far worse to him (and us).
    I think his public stance on guns is different than his private one. This is just speculation, but having followed his career for the last 20 years or so, I’m fairly certain that the majority of his fans are strongly liberal, anti-gun and vote democrat. I’m fairly certain that he was a strong democrat 20 years ago who was in the Nation of Islam and into Black Liberation theology and anti-gun back then. I’m fairly certain he is currently a moderate libertarian (Pro-Gun, Anti-abortion, Pro-drugs, Anti-taxes, Pro-reparations, etc.)...basically he takes ideas from both parties. I think he is actually a serious gun owner and shooter, but he pretends otherwise in his public career (I live about an hour away from him and have a friend who is in the Nation of Islam and claimed that he knew him a decade ago...both were in the Nation then and both were shooters which was highly unpopular in the Nation of Islam at the time). I don’t think Chappelle is currently in the Nation of Islam, but I do think he is still really strongly into Black Liberation Theology.

Regardless, I think it’s pretty magical when a comedian can piss-off both political sides and still make both sides laugh and leave a show thinking about the topics several days later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 09-01-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Liked it. Got a few chuckles and maybe even a LOL, but I liked it even more when I thought about it the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I sometimes think (read: dream) about leaving academia to become a comedian. Satire really is one of the last bastions against political correctness...
    Wish I could agree. IMO, if it’s not “approved satire," still gonna be a stink magnet. Even happens here, behind the scenes.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Wish I could agree. IMO, if it’s not “approved satire," still gonna be a stink magnet. Even happens here, behind the scenes.
    Now, now...it's time to move on from that little incident. (You insensitive racist bastard!!! )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Now, now...it's time to move on from that little incident. (You insensitive racist bastard!!! )
    Totally different incident, bro. You would not be aware of my reference.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 09-01-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List