Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panopticon spotted in the wild

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Panopticon spotted in the wild

https://www.wired.com/story/citizens...o-kick-robots/

K5 is an unregulated security camera on wheels, a 21st-century panopticon.
    Let the butt-hurt commence!
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Who uses the word panopticon? Ridiculous!

I found this gem entertaining,
    Kate Darling, a robot ethicist at MIT
    My immediate thought was, "First, you can't be an ethicist for non-sentient beings. Robots, even AI, have no self-awareness and therefore no ethics. Second, I'm so glad I don't work at MIT. I'd be pissed they are paying someone to be a fucking 'robot ethicist'."

Site Supporter
    It is true that right now the humanities in academia are grossly over-represented by people who hold certain political leanings. However, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea to have people with balanced or even opposed, but studied views on human nature, history and philosophy and the arts, to provide some guidance to the types of people who would build skynet just because they could and numbers!.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-31-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

My immediate thought was, "First, you can't be an ethicist for non-sentient beings. Robots, even AI, have no self-awareness and therefore no ethics. Second, I'm so glad I don't work at MIT. I'd be pissed they are paying someone a lot of money to be a fucking 'robot ethicist'."
    I had to take a second look, "a robot what?" when I read it. Social justice has jumped the shark if we are now employing 'robot ethicists'.

Oh, and I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Free copy of Discipline & Punish to whoever takes out the robot at my Stop & Shop. It terrifies my youngest. She knows a Panopticon when she sees one, so I won’t be needing the book anymore. The googly eyes they slapped on it aren’t fooling anyone.

ETA: If I used “break” instead of “brake” in my work product I would consider James Clavell novel style ritual disembowelment appropriate.
    Last edited by TDA; 08-31-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

My immediate thought was, "First, you can't be an ethicist for non-sentient beings. Robots, even AI, have no self-awareness and therefore no ethics. Second, I'm so glad I don't work at MIT. I'd be pissed they are paying someone to be a fucking 'robot ethicist'."
    I haven't actually read any of her work. I have only heard her in a couple interviews, so take the following with a grain of salt.

I believe her work looks at how we do interact with robots, not how we should interact with robots. The points I've heard her make are that people can anthropomorphise robots, which may be helpful in some circumstances, but less than ideal in others. Robot designers should consider robot features and behaviors in light of people's tendency to do this so that we (people) are not unintentionally manipulated into less than ideal behaviors by our robot companions. It may be better termed "ethical robot design" than "robot ethicist".

She may also advocate for ethical treatment of robots for all I know, but I haven't heard or read that yet.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Knock it down? Hell, I want to plow an F250 with an I-beam front bumper into it at 70mph. "I'll bet you felt that, R2!"
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I think I share a common human trait, i don't like being spied upon and despise those who do it; be it some alphabet agency, the city of London, GEICO, license plate readers or RedFlex Traffic Systems. Robot surveillance enters that room with a battering ram. It is not "no different that a policeman on patrol." A policeman doesn't commit everything visible and audible to a cloud drive where it can be used by God knows who for God knows what purpose. A policeman can be interacted with, is subject to constraints of law and answerable for overreaches. Robot spies are not. If you want to have one patrol your empty warehouse at night, go for it. If you want one to patrol a shopping venue, that is not acceptable.

And in case someone wants to trot out the "if you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about" trope, don't bother. That presupposes that my only basis for objection is guilt and that is the poorest of poor arguments.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacioli View Post
    I think I share a common human trait, i don't like being spied upon and despise those who do it
    They why aren't people bothered by non-robotic security cameras when they go to Wal-mart, the ATM, or the neighborhood gas station?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List