Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Robar Closing???

Quote Originally Posted by CCR Refinishing View Post
    Even though Robars NP3 is a competitor too our CPII Nickel Boron Nitride plating I hate to see any company in the firearms industry close

Here, I am posting a link to this refinishing company so that in the future when I go looking for places to send parts I can find them in this thread. I will probably start by searching PF for the word "robar refinishing" since that will stick in my head.

http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/information.html

Here at CCR we are always researching new technology to bring you the latest advances in Firearm finishes. We even offer a Limited Life Time Warranty on both our Cera-Hide and CPII finishes.

DUSK:

CCR is proud to announce our newest finish Dusk. Dusk is a chemical process which allows us to Darken our already proven Cera-Plate Nickel finishes. Dusk offers all of the same great features such as: High Hardness, Exceptional Lubricity, and great corrosion protection.
    Dusk will give you a Deep Rich Smokey metallic look that will vary depending on the substrant surface material. Dusk will be available on Carbon and Stainless steels only. Due to the complex Dusk process, please contact CCR for what parts can be processed.

Cera-Hide:

Cera-Hide is the result of over two years of research and development with breakthroughs in nano technology. Cera-Hide is a highly developed thermally cured coating that has a ceramic infused Nano Matrix. Cera-Hide is a blend of resins, polymers, pigments and additives designed to provide a smooth durable finish. Cera-Hide offers great rust and corrosion resistance with standing over 1000 hours Military Salt Spray testing Cera-Hide is a self lubricating finish. It is the only finish that offers three forms of lubrication which reduces the friction and wear on moving parts. We also include a mil spec hot parkerization of all carbon steel parts prior to applying our Cera-Hide for an additional layer of rust and corrosion protection. Besides it is the only way to insure that all parts inside blind holes and in tunnels receive protections from rust and corrosion which cannot be reached by spray methods. This step is already incorporated in our pricing Cera-Hide is available in Matte Black, House Black which has a deep rich mid luster sheen, OD Green, Dark Earth, Dark side Stainless and our newest Tri-Tanium which is a semi metallic earth tone. We also may be able to mix custom colors upon request.

Nikote

Ni-kote is a Nickel based alternative finish to tank based Nickel plating. We at CCR have designed Ni-kote for use on Anodized Alloy frames ONLY to be as close of a match to our CPII plating process as possible without having to compromise the factory Anodization. Ni-kote is also a self lubricating finish that offers three forms of lubrication and durability without damage to the alloy frame.

CPII Plating:

CPII is a true composite plating process. It is a tank based Electroless Nickel plating system that incorporates lubricating particles within the matrix of a phosphate system. Benefits include exceptionally low coefficient of friction, superior release and excellent wear resistance. CP II is perfect for applications that require lubrication, hardness and extreme durability. As wear occurs fresh particles are exposed continuing to ensure the lubricating factors though out. CPII also allows longer firing periods between cleaning and makes cleaning of your gun a breeze. CPII is a multi-facetted plating process that offers outstanding rust and corrosion protection Up to 10 times the protection of other plating. CPII is far from your standard plating it is a true composite plating process that is made possible by the breakthroughs in Nano Technology. CPII is also an Eco friendly process unlike many other plating processes. CPII is the color similar to a Bead Blasted Stainless would look CPII will be available for steels. We do not plate anodized alloys.

Parkerization:

We also offer mil spec parkerization which was a standard military finish for many years. Parkerizing or phosphate is a method of protection the surface of steel from rust and corrosion and is an effective alternative to bluing Parkerize will be a med to dark gray in color depending on the steel. We also can provide a pre dip blacking process is desired.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

I had a PM9 done by CCR in their "House Black" cerakote. It was a pretty finish, to be sure, but, durability wasn't that great. It wore off the high spots on the slide release in a hurry, and normal pocket carry resulted in several "dings" in short order.

Not saying they're not a bad company, they were easy to work with, and the price was very reasonable. It might be that Cerakote just isn't "all that."

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Piggy-backing on Mike C, I'd like some recommendations for PVD/DLC vendors...
    I had great luck with Surface Solutions, Inc. I had the pvd coat every Dillon powder funnel I own. They did them all for a flat fee that was very reasonable.

https://www.tincoat.net
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 08-31-2019 at 10:05 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Anyone have thumbs-up or -down experience with these guys doing nickel boron? I'm thinking about it for some small action parts.

https://www.wmdguns.com/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I am just now getting to a point in my life where I can afford to have this done, and have four guns that I was planning on sending there after the first of the year for NP3. I actually have money set aside for a couple of their Glock OEM trigger groups with NP3 on the metal parts. After a rather interesting broken Glock last week I decided that all moving metal parts in the fire control group need to be NP3"d if any of them are.

NP3 strikers are available from Suarez....
    NP3 striker safety plungers are available from Suarez and Overwatch Precision....
    NP3 trigger bars are available from Suarez and Overwatch if you buy their triggers....
    NP3 connectors are available from Overwatch, as long as you like them in "-" flavors...

I remember reading gun rags in high school about Robar's work, both smithing and finishing. In the late 90s and early 2000s I was hanging out with guys that had Robar stuff, and was so impressed with NP3 based on my research and experiences that all my serious guns needed that for a finish. I would have been willing to pay twice what they were asking to have my guns done. It is good to know there are alternatives.

Damn.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I had great luck with Surface Solutions, Inc. I had the pvd coat every Dillon powder funnel I own. They did them all for a flat fee that was very reasonable.
    That is genius, I seriously don't know why I never thought about that with my powder funnels. Thanks for the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    That is genius, I seriously don't know why I never thought about that with my powder funnels. Thanks for the idea!
    It was actually an idea born out of necessity. I have a buddy with an automated 1050 setup specifically for 9mm brass prep. He has it decap, swage and he has a laser on it to sort out the .380. Then he wet tumbles them.

I had him do about 8000 rounds that I had on hand. Even though I use Hornady One Shot lube, and I spray them stood up in a cake pan, and I spray them at a 45 degree angle, and I spray them on 4 sides, they were sticking so bad that I thought I had a bad batch of lube. Which may be the case, he doesn't have the same issue. I was lubing way more than he is and he doesn't have the issue. I was lubing a living shit out of them and still having them stick so bad I thought I'd break my press or shell plate.

The TIN coating is a drastic help. That's the only reason I did it. Dillon makes them out of tool steel and heat treat them to the high 50's rockwell C. They actually did tell me when I called to ask. I doubt anyone is going to wear one out as they come from Dillon.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 08-31-2019 at 05:16 PM.

It was actually an idea born out of necessity. I have a buddy with an automated 1050 setup specifically for 9mm brass prep. He has it decap, swage and he has a laser on it to sort out the .380. Then he wet tumbles them.

I had him do about 8000 rounds that I had on hand. Even though I use Hornady One Shot lube, and I spray them stood up in a cake pan, and I spray them at a 45 degree angle, and I spray them on 4 sides, they were sticking so bad that I thought I had a bad batch of lube. Which may be the case, he doesn't have the same issue. I was lubing way more than he is and he doesn't have the issue. I was lubing a living shit out of them and still having them stick so bad I thought I'd break my press or shell plate.

The TIN coating is a drastic help. That's the only reason I did it. Dillon makes them out of tool steel and heat treat them to the high 50's rockwell C. They actually did tell me when I called to ask. I doubt anyone is going to wear one out as they come from Dillon.
    Not to completely detract from this thread but if I clean my cases too long using a wet process with SS pins my cases stick like a MOFO. I believe GuanoLoco or LL said they were having similar issues when brass was too clean. I've since stopped using the pins. The Tin or NP3 would probably make a real difference for me along with using the wash&wax rinse I'm now doing and might finish fixing the problem altogether. I will have to try this out. Thanks again.

It was actually an idea born out of necessity. … they were sticking so bad that I thought I had a bad batch of lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Not to completely detract from this thread … I will have to try this out. Thanks again.
    Don't want to go completely into the weeds, but that is part of the reason I have been using the Hornady measure, more info here in another thread.

For the LEM/Match hybrid parts in my HK USP 45 Expert, would DLC be good?
    Looking at coating the hammer, hammer axle, sear, trigger bar, and maybe the FPB.

User Tag List