Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Robar Closing???

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Good clarification, I didn't realize HK small parts weren't nitrocarb'ed/melonited/hardened in this way, that kind of sucks. It's not surprising I was sitting here thinking about how case hardening had to make parts more brittle.

What about Black-T? I remember when it was the new hotness and it's supposed to be fairly slick, not NP3 slick, but slicker than DLC. Though I don't think it is as hard as NP3 or DLC.
    Black-T scratches fairly easily, I think. No experience, just from reading.

Personally, I'm sending one of my 2.5" Model 19s to that vendor you mentioned earlier in the thread for a matte DLC. It's been a fantastic finish for me on my G19M. I've seen a G19M go skidding across concrete and it didn't even show a mark. That shit is tough.

I've got two other retired matte Model 19s from my job, figured I should make a beater facsimile (but with a tougher finish) that I'm not afraid to shoot a lot.....the 4th 2.5" Model 19 being in NP3 inside and out. Might be worth noting, but the trigger job on the NP3'd Model 19 is noticeably better than the trigger job (from the same 'smith, Sandy Garrett at NoVA Gun Works) on the carbon steel/blued Model 19.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Black-T scratches fairly easily, I think. No experience, just from reading.

Personally, I'm sending one of my 2.5" Model 19s to that vendor you mentioned earlier in the thread for a matte DLC. It's been a fantastic finish for me on my G19M. I've seen a G19M go skidding across concrete and it didn't even show a mark. That shit is tough.

I've got two other retired matte Model 19s from my job, figured I should make a beater facsimile (but with a tougher finish) that I'm not afraid to shoot a lot.....the 4th 2.5" Model 19 being in NP3 inside and out. Might be worth noting, but the trigger job on the NP3'd Model 19 is noticeably better than the trigger job (from the same 'smith, Sandy Garrett at NoVA Gun Works) on the carbon steel/blued Model 19.
    DLC is legitimately my favorite finish on the planet. It is absolutely hardcore. If it were a little "slicker" it would be an ideal alternative to NP3 that is in black, but it just isn't, alas.

That said, I'd love to hear how it goes with Jabuie on DLCing your M19. I am thinking about sending them my STI here in the next 8-10 months.

Site Supporter
    I was just looking at Robar’s website. It looks like they are still in business just not doing any finish work or gunsmithing. I hope they change their mind. I have least 6 guns I wanted NP3d

Thanks for this thread, I was concerned about the closing of ROBAR and found this statement from CT to be very informative and helpful:

Robar Closure

ATTENTION GUN OWNERS:

With the closing of the Robar Companies the question of accessing NP3©, NP3+© and ArmorLube© coatings has come up. Coating Technologies LLC (CTL) is the owner of these processes. We are currently exploring a methodology to help facilitate individual access to our finishes. This will take some time but we will announce availability to Distributors via electronic and printed media as quickly as we can.

To be added to our contact list and receive an update as information becomes available, please send an email with your name, phone number and email address to info@coatingtechnologiesllc.com.

Please note: CTL does NOT have any gunsmithing services nor can we accept work on an individual basis.

If you are a retail store or licensed facility with full-time gunsmithing services available to the public and are interested in becoming a distributor of our finishes please email us at the above address.

Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to resuming our great relationship with our firearm owning friends.

Robbie Barrkman
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by FredWyn View Post
    Thanks for this thread, I was concerned about the closing of ROBAR and found this statement from CT to be very informative and helpful:

Robar Closure

ATTENTION GUN OWNERS:

With the closing of the Robar Companies the question of accessing NP3©, NP3+© and ArmorLube© coatings has come up. Coating Technologies LLC (CTL) is the owner of these processes. We are currently exploring a methodology to help facilitate individual access to our finishes. This will take some time but we will announce availability to Distributors via electronic and printed media as quickly as we can.

To be added to our contact list and receive an update as information becomes available, please send an email with your name, phone number and email address to info@coatingtechnologiesllc.com.

Please note: CTL does NOT have any gunsmithing services nor can we accept work on an individual basis.

If you are a retail store or licensed facility with full-time gunsmithing services available to the public and are interested in becoming a distributor of our finishes please email us at the above address.

Thank you for your patience and we are looking forward to resuming our great relationship with our firearm owning friends.

Robbie Barrkman
    CEO
    This is great news! I hope some companies will step up and be able to offer services to individuals as new distributors. I imagine markup may be steep but NP3/NP3 + is amazing stuff.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-21-2019 at 12:37 PM.

According to their Facebook page, Vang Comp is now offering NP3 via Coating Technologies.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...n__=%2As%2As-R

Site Supporter
    I spoke to Cody at Vang Comp yesterday. Apparently Coating technologies is no longer finishing firearm parts unless the quantity done is in the hundreds. Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I spoke to Cody at Vang Comp yesterday. Apparently Coating technologies is no longer finishing firearm parts unless the quantity done is in the hundreds. Anybody know?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....e-discontinued
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List