Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk GSD's

Let's talk GSD's

I've wanted a GSD since my daughter was born almost four years ago, then even more when I started traveling for work, and now exponentially more that I have a little boy due in nine days. I want a dog that is as concerned with the safety of our family as I am, and equally driven to see it through at any cost.

Main goal is family security -

1- In the house
    2- In the yard (neighbors have a 100lbs doberman, and he's a total asshole (the dog))
    3- Family walks around the neighborhood without me (wife works from home and this is a common occurrence).
    4- I carry AIWB when at home. Now that my daughter is older, the long guns stay locked in the safe.

GSD's seem to live in condition yellow when around the family. Our eight year old Golden Retriever is an amazing dog, but he's never even seen condition yellow, let alone orange/red, and the only sound he pays attention to is that of something hitting the bottom of his food bowl. The same for our Long Haired Miniature Dachshund, though he tends to bark at random sounds outside. My wife (God love her) is basically oblivious to anything outside the walls of our house when at home.

Due to the little one coming, I have informed the XO that a GSD will also be coming aboard, and I have the green light. The last thing I (think) want is a puppy and a newborn, since two things crapping at once that need my attention does not sound fun. So, it probably won't happen right away, but I want to start my research on the pros, cons, breeders and schools now.

I've followed the pets thread since it started, and a lot of you have GSDs, so I can't imagine a better place to start looking for experience based information.

I'll be sharing any info about kids/GSD's in this thread with my wife, as that's her number one concern. Any help/advice speaking directly to that issue (and pics, she's a visual learner) would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by StraitR; 03-19-2016 at 02:49 PM.

I know nothing about GS's but if it were me I'd want to have a dog that was already very very loyal to me/family before letting them be around a baby. OR get a puppy and let him grow with the family around.

I have a lab/pit mix, I've had him since a puppy and he's now ~9 years old. When my daughter was born I brought a blanket she had been wrapped up in home and let him sniff it and play with it. He was so excited! He knew what it was and when we brought my daughter home he was even more excited. We now have a 1 year old son as well. They both play and antagonize rock (the dog) and he loves every minute of it!
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    I've wanted a GSD since my daughter was born almost four years ago, then even more when I started traveling for work, and now exponentially more that I have a little boy due in nine days. I want a dog that is as concerned with the safety of our family as I am, and equally driven to see it through at any cost.

Main goal is family security -

1- In the house
    2- In the yard (neighbors have a 100lbs doberman, and he's a total asshole (the dog))
    3- Family walks around the neighborhood without me (wife works from home and this is a common occurrence).
    4- I carry AIWB when at home. Now that my daughter is older, the long guns stay locked in the safe.

GSD's seem to live in condition yellow when around the family. Our eight year old Golden Retriever is an amazing dog, but he's never even seen condition yellow, let alone orange/red, and the only sound he pays attention to is that of something hitting the bottom of his food bowl. The same for our Long Haired Miniature Dachshund, though he tends to bark at random sounds outside. My wife (God love her) is basically oblivious to anything outside the walls of our house when at home.

Due to the little one coming, I have informed the XO that a GSD will also be coming aboard, and I have the green light. The last thing I (think) want is a puppy and a newborn, since two things crapping at once that need my attention does not sound fun. So, it probably won't happen right away, but I want to start my research on the pros, cons, breeders and schools now.

I've followed the pets thread since it started, and a lot of you have GSDs, so I can't imagine a better place to start looking for experience based information.

I'll be sharing any info about kids/GSD's in this thread with my wife, as that's her number one concern. Any help/advice speaking directly to that issue (and pics, she's a visual learner) would be much appreciated.
    A buddy of mine just got a Dutch Shepard Puppy for similar purposes. An option worth considering.

If the dog is an asshole either the owner is as well or worse, the owner does not have control and the dog thinks he's in charge.

I have two GSD. They are a handful, intelligent, very protective, and great companions. Both of my dogs are well behaved but I wish I would of taken them to a trainer early on so I could learn beside them. Like others have stated, its a good idea to raise the dog around the kids or having an established long term relationship (my dogs are 4 and 3 years of age) is a good idea. My dogs love kids, find them fascinating, and don't leave their side. My niece was all over both my shepherds, climbing, sitting, pulling on their ears and they just took it all while keeping a watchful eye on adults they didn't know. I know there are quite a few people on here who don't seem to be too invested in pets but mine are a firm part of my family and I like that they are willing to die to protect my wife and I.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I have two GSD. They are a handful, intelligent, very protective, and great companions. Both of my dogs are well behaved but I wish I would of taken them to a trainer early on so I could learn beside them. Like others have stated, its a good idea to raise the dog around the kids or having an established long term relationship (my dogs are 4 and 3 years of age) is a good idea. My dogs love kids, find them fascinating, and don't leave their side. My niece was all over both my shepherds, climbing, sitting, pulling on their ears and they just took it all while keeping a watchful eye on adults they didn't know. I know there are quite a few people on here who don't seem to be too invested in pets but mine are a firm part of my family and I like that they are willing to die to protect my wife and I.
    This mirrors my experience. I have a GSD mix who is very devoted to myself and my granddaughter. He was six when the little kiddo arrived, and took to her immediately. He is a constant, watchful companion when she is present.

Definitely getting a puppy so he/she will grow up with the kids, as everyone has pointed out. He/she will definitely attend appropriate training, along with myself.

Will look into the Dutch Shepard as well. Thanks

I've also considered a Mal, but based on what I read, they seem a little more high maintenance. As in needing to stay busy with daily tasks aside from guard duty. That's the sense I got from a few of LL's and Todd's posts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Our "Chiwienie" had to be put to sleep Tuesday. It was my wife's therapy dog and lived in bed with her the last couple years of her life with cancer. He was weird, neurotic, and not normal, but we tried. I actually miss the little guy, but he was my only small dog. We are also looking at a German Shepard as the next dog. My kid is 13, so should be good. Not sure with GSD's for little kids. The one we had when I was younger (14) bit a lot of people and was over protective of the family. Also had a Rottweiler that was the same way.

For babies, I can HIGHLY recommend a Boxer. Generally dumb but sweet. They are great with kids, as they are like having a puppy their whole lives. They are also very intuitive about who is good and who is not when people come to your home, where my experience with the Shepards and Rotts are that everyone is a suspect. While Boxers are super sweet, they look intimidating and will bow up to threats. Also, they are not afraid of mixing it up with other animals that may be aggressive...they got the name for a reason.
    I would agree with a younger dog raised with the child if you are going the Shepard route. Training is also critical.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    I would talk to local k-9 officers about where they get their dogs. Too many GSD have health problems. My Dept got their dogs from Czechoslovakia via a local trainer. Often they can point you to k-9 dogs that didn't make the cut. I went with a bull terrier.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Definitely getting a puppy so he/she will grow up with the kids, as everyone has pointed out. He/she will definitely attend appropriate training, along with myself.

Will look into the Dutch Shepard as well. Thanks

I've also considered a Mal, but based on what I read, they seem a little more high maintenance. As in needing to stay busy with daily tasks aside from guard duty. That's the sense I got from a few of LL's and Todd's posts. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Mal's are the tweekers of the dog world. I spent a ton of time and many years agitating both GSD's and Malanuts, along with the other Euro variations of Shepards. We had several guys who also had Malanois pets. They were all hyper spastic.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Katie is the best dog I've ever met, let alone had. We guess about 1/2 GSD 1/2 lab. 50 pounds -- big enough to scare those that don't know better and small enough to control easily. Very protective of the kid -- rushes me if I tickle him and controls my arm. Literally perfect disposition. Hybrid vigor is not to be underestimated.

She had been dumped on the side of the road in the sticks after what the vet guesses was her third litter. Tits to her knees, no real shot at being adopted. We think that's why she's so sweet, but it also has resulted in her nickname being Lurlene.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List