Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help pick first Single Action Wheelie

The smaller frame is a bit handier, and plenty strong for any reasonable .357 loading. The large frame guns handle well but are bigger than they need to be and, unless you're going to run red-line handloads, any additional strength or weight is likely unnecessary. If you need more power, then a larger caliber or a .357 Maximum is the way to go. The big difference; or, at least, the difference most likely to matter in day-to-day handling, is the alloy grip frame on the large-frame gun versus the steel grip frame on the small-frame gun. If possible, handle both before buying because the guns balance differently and will feel different in the hand.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Do you reload? Does ammo cost matter?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This will cause your eyes to cross

This link will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Ruger SA revolvers.

https://gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    Thinking about stickin with 357 for commonality with my DA guns. I don't have anything else in 45LC and don't wanna add another caliber to the crew.

Am I wrong to want the smaller size 357 blackhawk instead of the newer ones on the bigger frame? I just assume that since the frame size increase was due to cost savings that it must make for a worse gun. But maybe the bigger frame lets you shoot hotter 357, reduces recoil, and makes it less likely to KB if you overload it?
    My opinion would be a Blackhawk in .357, most likely 4 5/8", and small frame/flattop, all the way. Much hanfdier than the overkill larger frame. JMO.

If you’ve got a minute, there’s some past discussion of the .357 ‘hawk in these threads:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1&styleid=17

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....gle-action%92s
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Everything discussed above should be your second. The first should be a Single Six in .22LR with a Bisley grip. Just because.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do all Rugers have a lock?
    Only the newer ones. Ruger’s lock does a superb job of following the letter of the law while wiping its ass with the spirit of the law.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 08-30-2019 at 09:37 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you reload? Does ammo cost matter?
    Nah, I never got into it. I keep thinking I might but when I run the numbers it's not worth it. TBH I probably only shoot 100 rounds of revolver ammo a year. I shoot about 3 to 4 cases of 9mm per year though.

If/when I buy a blackhawk, it won't be shot much. Part of me wants it for the same reason I want a blackpowder pistol. To become familiar and basic compotent with shooting anything. Right now, Im not sure I could make a SA revolver safe. I learned in the NRA basic pistol class I took long ago but I havent touched one in years. I guess the truth is I want a new toy because I could watch a youtube video on SA revolver function/clearing once a year and hit that basic level of competence.

Im the "gun guy" in my family and friends circle. If someones grandpa passes and a friend calls me over to look at the gun collection, I dont want to be lookin on youtube how to open and make safe. I feel like I should be compotent with anything that comes up. And I just want one because they are cool! But no I prob wont shoot it much. Same thing happened when I bought my first revolver a few years ago, an old S&W k-frame. I still dry fire it several times a week. And I bring it to 1 in 5 range trips and put a couple cylinders of 38sp through. But I dont really shoot it. I do enjoy having it!!
    Last edited by talos; 08-30-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Everything discussed above should be your second. The first should be a Single Six in .22LR with a Bisley grip. Just because.
    Oh believe me! This was on my radar! But the truth is tbh I don't shoot revolvers much. I do dry fire them a lot because it's better to not have to rack the slide of a semi. And I assume you cant dry fire a Single Six because most 22LR dont like to be dry fired, even with snap caps. If your tellin me I can put snap caps in and dry fire a single six 22lr until the cows come home and it wont damage the gun then it would be my first and probably only SA revolver!

A Single Six rimfire can safely be dry-fired. A Bisley Single Six .22lr would be an excellent choice as a first, and perhaps only, revolver, although the Bisley will be a bit heavier than the average Single Six .22. Here is my Bisley Single Six, from a limited run done by Ruger a few years back. I bought it as an understudy to my Bowen-built .45 Colt Bisley, and it performs well in that role.

Last edited by oregon45; 08-30-2019 at 10:49 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Don't assume. Not all guns are the same. Spend 20-30 minutes googling about dry firing Single Sixes. Collect data, then decide.

For example, on Buck Marks, they may or may not come from the factory with breech face damage from the firing pin, because Browning has decided not to bother fitting the firing pin length. If the damage hasn't progressed too far, it can be repaired easily with the right tools. It's pretty straightforward to set the length on the firing pin so it stops a few thousandths short of the breech face and cannot possibly cause the damage again.

It's apparently conceivable that a rimfire Single Six could strike the cylinder at the chamber edge, but seems to be very rare. If it proves to be necessary, and if you can pull the firing pin out, setting its length should be pretty straightforward.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List