Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help pick first Single Action Wheelie

If you're worried about peening the cylinder when dry-firing a Single Six, just remove the cylinder, replace the base-pin, and dry-fire the gun without the cylinder in place.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    If/when I buy a blackhawk, it won't be shot much. Part of me wants it for the same reason I want a blackpowder pistol. To become familiar and basic compotent with shooting anything. Right now, Im not sure I could make a SA revolver safe. I learned in the NRA basic pistol class I took long ago but I havent touched one in years. I guess the truth is I want a new toy because I could watch a youtube video on SA revolver function/clearing once a year and hit that basic level of competence.

Im the "gun guy" in my family and friends circle. If someones grandpa passes and a friend calls me over to look at the gun collection, I dont want to be lookin on youtube how to open and make safe. I feel like I should be compotent with anything that comes up. And I just want one because they are cool! But no I prob wont shoot it much. Same thing happened when I bought my first revolver a few years ago, an old S&W k-frame. I still dry fire it several times a week. And I bring it to 1 in 5 range trips and put a couple cylinders of 38sp through. But I dont really shoot it. I do enjoy having it!!
    It seems to me that you want a SA revolver that operates like a Colt SAA, not a Ruger. Colts are pretty pricey. Cimmaron has some fairly decent guns.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    Nah, I never got into it. I keep thinking I might but when I run the numbers it's not worth it. TBH I probably only shoot 100 rounds of revolver ammo a year. I shoot about 3 to 4 cases of 9mm per year though.

If/when I buy a blackhawk, it won't be shot much. Part of me wants it for the same reason I want a blackpowder pistol. To become familiar and basic compotent with shooting anything. Right now, Im not sure I could make a SA revolver safe. I learned in the NRA basic pistol class I took long ago but I havent touched one in years. I guess the truth is I want a new toy because I could watch a youtube video on SA revolver function/clearing once a year and hit that basic level of competence.

Im the "gun guy" in my family and friends circle. If someones grandpa passes and a friend calls me over to look at the gun collection, I dont want to be lookin on youtube how to open and make safe. I feel like I should be compotent with anything that comes up. And I just want one because they are cool! But no I prob wont shoot it much. Same thing happened when I bought my first revolver a few years ago, an old S&W k-frame. I still dry fire it several times a week. And I bring it to 1 in 5 range trips and put a couple cylinders of 38sp through. But I dont really shoot it. I do enjoy having it!!
    If it's just for funsies and you don't care what ammunition costs then the .45 Colt is worth consideration. Personally, I find it a fun cartridge to shoot and there's a wide variety of power (and smoke) levels available. Shooting 9mm through a cowboy-ish revolver strikes me as something only a communist infiltrator would do. It's just...wrong....comrade. Some unholy union of new modern efficiency ruining the character of an obsolete, but romantic, launcher. .45 Colt is American and with a bit of smoke can even approach high levels of 'murcan. The .38/.357 is a reasonable compromise if you just aren't ready for the levels of 'murcan that a .45 Colt in a single action represents.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Ruger SAs have to meet my 3-4-5 rule:
    3 screws in the frame
    4 clicks of the hammer
    5 beans in the wheel

Put more simply that’s pre-1973 before the transfer bar, aka Old Model.

My first CF handgun was this .357/9mm convertible, and new models have just never done it for me.

In 45 years, the 9mm cylinder has never been fired.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Ruger SAs have to meet my 3-4-5 rule:
    3 screws in the frame
    4 clicks of the hammer
    5 beans in the wheel

Put more simply that’s pre-1973 before the transfer bar, aka Old Model.

My first CF handgun was this .357/9mm convertible, and new models have just never done it for me.

In 45 years, the 9mm cylinder has never been fired.
    I have a "Bicentennial" convertible Blackhawk. I had it for over 40 year before I cleaned out the factory grease and shot it. I can see the utility of it, but somewhere, Elmer Keith is crying.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

For a first Single Action, unless you're planning to hunt with it, you should get a SAA clone, not a Ruger. Rugers are in fact SA, and revolvers, but that's where the similarities end.

If you want to hunt (need adjustable sights) and/or shoot suicide handloads out of it, Ruger all day, every day.

I've had Uberti, Cimarrons, and some other off brands. Except for one, they were all 45 Colt (the outlier was a 44-40). Pleasant to shoot with cowboy loads (black powder or smokeless), and I never shot enough rounds through any of them to experience any failures.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Everything discussed above should be your second. The first should be a Single Six in .22LR with a Bisley grip. Just because.
    Like this one:

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/rug-0...ley-22-6-5-ss/

And someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy one myself.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I started on traditional type SAs without transfer bars as a kid and shot scads of rounds through them, then when the new style Rugers came out traded into one. It doesnt bother me either way to operate them, but for people unfamiliar with them and not really interested in spending much time to take operation of them to an unconscious competent level, the new type with transfer bars are simpler and probably safer. If cocking and pulling the trigger to load and unload or check a revolver makes you nervous, you may not like a traditional type SA without transfer bar. With the Rugers, you just open the loading gate and the cylinder is then free to turn. The traditional type, you then have to cock to half cock, check for clear or load, then cock hammer back then pull trigger to put it down. The safely is a hammer notch (first click above fully down) with only moderate level of security, and not drop safe. They are generally carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. There are methods of loading to get the hammer on that empty chamber, but it involves counting clicks of the cylinder while turning it and still cocking a loaded revolver and pulling the trigger to let the hammer down. One can make whatever comments about "if done right they are plenty safe....." but thats how they function. People screw it up sometimes. Seeing people not truly familiar with them (at an unconscious competence level) handling and operating them makes me nervous. That includes some that shoot competition in cowboy action shooting and only have a seeming casual level of familiarity. YMMV. Id be fine carrying one daily for whatever possible uses, but I dont think most people would be well served by traditional style SAs unless they have a great desire to get above average level good with them.

Much talk of dry fire. Dry firing Rugers with transfer bars can break the transfer bar. Ive broken 3 in 2 different guns. I asked a gunsmith if hed ever seen it, he said hed replaced several. The cowboy action guys are quite familiar with it. If its a range gun, no problem. Mine arent only range guns, i stopped dry fire in Ruger SAs for the most part unless with snap caps. Despite internet rumors, there are no bombproof firearms. Ruger SAs are pretty simple machines, but the transfer bar is the weak link. There are ways that are reported to tune or fit them so they wont break, but I find it relatively simple to just not dry fire them without snap caps. If I bought a used Ruger and planned to carry it, id install a new transfer bar and throw the old one away.

Name:  IMG_0453.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  38.2 KB
    Last edited by Malamute; 08-31-2019 at 10:42 AM.

One thing I picked up in one of the other threads is the stainless guns have a pinned front sight, that right there makes all the difference for me. Stainless 9mm/357 4-5/8 would be my recommendation if I were choosing for you. Maybe the 9mm is goofy, but you could shoot a thousand rounds and decide for yourself.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-31-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Like this one:

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/rug-0...ley-22-6-5-ss/

And someone please tell me why I shouldn't buy one myself.
    Weren’t you asking for encouragement to sell some guns just the other day[emoji848]

User Tag List