Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for learning basic punches:

Source for learning basic punches:

A few folks have noted that they don't have much striking experience, particularly with basic boxing punches. I honestly don't have a ton, but have gained a lot by focusing with the bag or a training partner. For folks with limited access to training and/or strike training, there are some bad habits you can pick up trying to learn on your own from a book of manual. I've grown to really like Expert Boxing's Youtube channel. The videos are usually brief (<5 minutes) and emphasize not only basics, but nuanced details like foot placement, elbow placement, shoulders, and rotation in general.

If you're trying to learn, repetition is everything.

And always start with the JAB.

Here's some Expert Boxing Videos on jabs I've found useful:

Thanks, Rob! This lack of basic knowledge has been in the back of my head for a while.

Please do note that some rather experienced people have stated modern boxing style closed fist punches to the head are not recommended without gloves and wraps, due to the possibility of injury to the puncher.

Which is not to say that the information above is without merit. Just something you might want to keep in mind.

(I have a background in striking in this manner and I was able to modify my techniques for open hand strikes. Of course, I'm not claiming what I do is in any way optimal, but I always felt my training in the modern boxing style punches was a benefit, not a hindrance, when I started figuring out how to strike without gloves and without injuring myself.)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Please do note that some rather experienced people have stated modern boxing style closed fist punches to the head are not recommended without gloves and wraps, due to the possibility of injury to the puncher.

Which is not to say that the information above is without merit. Just something you might want to keep in mind.

(I have a background in striking in this manner and I was able to modify my techniques for open hand strikes. Of course, I'm not claiming what I do is in any way optimal, but I always felt my training in the modern boxing style punches was a benefit, not a hindrance, when I started figuring out how to strike without gloves and without injuring myself.)
    God way to be That Guy... Nah, just kidding this is a GREAT point.

Keeping a loose as opposed to tight fist when striking without gloves and learning the difference is important. I work my bags and mitts with bag-type gloves, proper 10 ounce boxing gloves, MMA-style gloves, and without any glove protection. Throw the same punches in the same way with 10-ounce gloves and then a bare hand with a closed fist and you'll find yourself in pain, quickly. Loosen the fist and you can continue throwing without pain.

That said, adopting an open hand approach is certainly a very viable and good alternative.

You can also work on landing your bare hand punches, with a fist, targeting with the lower part of the fist. I was taught early on that a bare fist punch should land basically between the knuckles of the ring and pinky finger. Though you can certainly break your hand this way, if you hit the top or back of the skull. But two things, first it's unlikely that such a break will take that hand entirely out of the fight, unlike if you land it with your index and middle-finger knuckles. Two, it's quite likely you'll land the punch more hammer-fist-like than punch-like, which reduces chances of breaking the hand.

Look at Conor McGregor's straight left power punch and how he usually aims it to land with the lower part of the fist. While McGregor is wearing MMA gloves, they have scant protection compared to boxing gloves. And if you watch MMA fights often enough, you will see quite a few hand injuries. Most of them are caused by inappropriate aiming technique or inadvertent hitting of the top or back of the head.

FYI: The reason I chose McGregor - he is a classic southpaw counter-puncher. If you are right handed, and have a blade in that hand, and follow the Shivworks school of thought of jabbing to keep them off when not FUT - then you'll tend to end up in a southpaw stance jabbing out your blade. In that regard, thinking about how to function out of a southpaw stance and generate power with the left is important.

Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-30-2019 at 10:05 AM.

"Chamionship Fighting, Explosive Punching, and Agressive Defense" by Jack Dempsey is a great resource.

I would also second that Expert Boxing YouTube guy. Well-done, good easy to follow demonstrations of alot of techniques.

All knowledge is great, let me start with that. I got pretty beat up in my first go at Muay Thai years ago. The next day I pondered a lot, along with my wife just shaking her head. I then made many calls, went to an old school Boxing gym in town, talked to the trainer / owner explained what I had done, what I was looking for. He said number one, you wont step in the ring to spar for about 6 mos, he said it will take you a good 2 to 3 months just to throw a good left right and hook. Then there is defense. Grateful for those two years that served as my foundation.

Watch the new bare knuckle fights just recently sanctioned after some 100 years out of the limelight. Fascinating to watch, as the bouts are bloodier, and seem to be over quicker than MMA bouts. The fighters are much more guarded, cautious, and measured. What I have noticed is the the traditionally trained experienced boxers tend to be pretty formidable. There targeting is more precise, footwork and using angle is more robust.

Do not overlook conditioning. Being able to go toe to toe for 12 rounds is badass. From my experience even a big guy if new and unconditioned in 3 minutes he is half the man I started with.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I'm certainly not experienced or an expert, but I can verify that. A nasty boxer's fracture is why I have metal in my hand and crooked fingers. I broke the knuckles of my last two fingers hooking a guy in the ribs after we had a disagreement on if he should go to jail or not.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You can also work on landing your bare hand punches, with a fist, targeting with the lower part of the fist. I was taught early on that a bare fist punch should land basically between the knuckles of the ring and pinky finger. Though you can certainly break your hand this way, if you hit the top or back of the skull. But two things, first it's unlikely that such a break will take that hand entirely out of the fight
    Like BBI, I'm not a boxer, but I've had a boxer's fracture. A boxer's fracture is the two bones in your hand in line with your ring and pinkie finger. I couldn't make a fist with the broken hand. I'm not saying it's a show stopper, but barehanded it's severely limiting.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Great posts! With the resurgence of Bareknuckle fights, I started exploring different aspects. Some of the old school bareknuckle techniques advocated striking with the inside aspect of the wrist or hammer fist aspect when delivering blows to hard targets. Body shots delivered with a full bare fist are safer.

I am interested in the actual strike. From a formal karate strike that recommends striking with the first knuckles, physiologically makes since as the radius is a larger bone and offers more support in theory. The straight punch technique advocated by Bruce Lee and is explained ad nausem in the book “ The Straight Punch” by Tim, wherein she describes the punch is delivered with the pressure distributed over the the last three knuckles.

Lastly, you will find all kinds of responses to hand strengthening, iron palm... Approach that with caution and great deliberation, use common sense.

Re: the knuckle/impact choice: science guys are gonna science, and for every practice, you can find multiple advocates. I have a bare knuckle boxing book that advocates for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th/pinky as the striking surface, in similar fashion to Bruce Lee. That said, when I was younger, and a practicing karate-ka with my own club, I had a traditional rope/post makiwara in my yard. I hit it a lot. As in, more than every other day. I’ve also done thousands of knuckle pushups in my life. I am going to be hard to convince that the first two knuckles (index and middle metacarpophalangeal joint on the phalanx side) aren’t mo’ betta for taking impact. Betta still is palm heel against hard targets. JMO. Unless you’re breaking pine boards or something. The first two knuckles work ok for that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List