Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Source for learning basic punches:

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm certainly not experienced or an expert, but I can verify that. A nasty boxer's fracture is why I have metal in my hand and crooked fingers. I broke the knuckles of my last two fingers hooking a guy in the ribs after we had a disagreement on if he should go to jail or not.
    A barehanded hook shouldn’t impact those knuckles. Turn the hand around.

Quote Originally Posted by No.6 View Post
    A barehanded hook shouldn’t impact those knuckles. Turn the hand around.
    I don't quite follow; could you explain that differently, please? Pictures would be helpful.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    I don't quite follow; could you explain that differently, please? Pictures would be helpful.
    I might do some pics later but my phone is full of kids singing @ hospital

In a boxing hook, at impact the palm is facing you; probably elbow slightly down with the foot set and power off the hip. (Do your own visualization here with your own hand). In this position the pinky/ring finger knuckles are slightly ahead of the pointer/middle knuckles.

This is fine in boxing -- you've got a big weighted glove on and you're trying to bash people into unconsciousness.

With no glove on, if you hook something solid those two little knuckles hit first and take the brunt of the impact. Not good for you and not the part you want to deliver max focused force.

Now try a slow hook but twist the hand as you punch so the palm ends up out. Now the big knuckles are down and in front and aligned with your wrist and arm bones.

If 'bash' (diffused force) is something you need to do with open hand use the soft tissue of the edge of the clenched hand (aka "hammer fist") rather than your bones.

Thank you! The particulars of bareknuckled boxing is a bit out of my lane, but I better understand what you were trying to convey, and am grateful for that.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

I made my spending money in college bouncing in bars in a smallish mining-college town that had 22 bars and 12 package liquor stores at the time. Lots of hi-jinx and hilarity ensued. Unless you're the type that needs to fight to prove something, you get good a diffusing situations but there were still a good number of "you just got it to do" episodes mixed in. I found it was best to hit the hard parts of people with floors, tables and walls and save the soft bits for strikes. Actually, leverage and physical anatomy are your friend in a fight, as in control holds. A Chinese martial art called Qin Na is a great place to look if you're interested. If you just have to strike people, this is a good bit of knowledge from one of the most devastating fighters ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0SyEqc7ns
    Last edited by FNFAN; 12-28-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List