Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Hooded Softshell

RFI: Hooded Softshell

I’m looking for recommendations on softshells, main use will be for drizzly, misty fall and winter days. Would prefer some lining for warmth.

I have an older Marmot Zion that is really close to what I’d want but fits like a trash bag, also have a couple hoodless Arcteryx that are close.

Doesn’t have to be the latest Tacticool swag but not opposed if it fits the other criteria.

Over the last few years, I've used:

Triple Aught Design
    Mammut
    Prometheus Design Werx

The PDW design Iliad is my current favorite - https://prometheusdesignwerx.com/col...15382897164374

The Mammut is #2. Warning with Mammut, they must use a chimpanzee as a design model. I wear an L in most jackets and shirts, to fit a broad chest and short(ish) arms. Mammut requires a 2XL to fit my chest if I want a layer underneath and it's about 4" too long in the sleeves. Fortunately it has velcro cuffs and I'm normally wearing it in the winter with gloves and other layers, blah-blah-blah. I don't care that it is long basically, plus it was 125 bucks at REI on sale.

Triple Aught Design is a distant third these days for me. Quality has dropped off tremendously compared to TAD Gear (they rebranded as Triple Aught Design around 2010-2011) days but the prices have gone up.

If you notice similarities between TAD and PDW, it's because both companies were founded by the same man, Patrick Ma. Patrick was forced out of TAD around 2013'ish and they kept his original designs (and have done very little in the way of updating them since, just riding his brand). Patrick responded by forming PDW and redeveloping and redesigning some of his older designs as well as generate new designs.

Advantage of PDW and TAD - both made in the USA.

The Arcteryx Atom LT is pretty nice. I like the elastic sides so you don't get too warm, and I use the hood as a stow pouch.

5 years ago I bought a non-hooded version, and wore it pretty religiously. Earlier this year I noticed a rip near the rear hem. I took it to their store on May 9th and they sent it to the mothership for repair. On June 24th they emailed saying they couldn't repair it, so they could either return it to me or for $40 send me a new one. I thought getting a brand new one after 5 years of use for 20% of the original cost was a good deal. I called to give them my cc details and asked if I could pay the difference ($20) and get a hooded version. They said no problem we'll just send you the hoody one no extra charge.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Triple Aught Design
    Mammut
    Prometheus Design Werx

Triple Aught Design is a distant third these days for me. Quality has dropped off tremendously compared to TAD Gear (they rebranded as Triple Aught Design around 2010-2011) days but the prices have gone up.

If you notice similarities between TAD and PDW, it's because both companies were founded by the same man, Patrick Ma. Patrick was forced out of TAD around 2013'ish and they kept his original designs (and have done very little in the way of updating them since, just riding his brand). Patrick responded by forming PDW and redeveloping and redesigning some of his older designs as well as generate new designs.

I have a couple of TAD pieces, including a soft shell and a gortex shell. I'm very happy with the soft shell, had it 10 years or so. But the gortex shell is meh, it's noisy and imported, and was pretty expensive. ~$300ish I think.

I'm inclined to think TAD is a bit over rated these days, as RR suggests. My opinion of them did not improve when I visited their store front in San Francisco. The store staff consisted of several guys sporting boutique camo, man buns and shitty attitudes.

Kyle Defoor seems to be a big fan of Black Diamond. A few months ago he gave a favorable review of their jackets on his IG account. I took note in case I decide to ditch the TAD shell.

Site Supporter
    I have had several Black Diamond soft shell and wind proof jackets in recent years and they are a favorite of mine. Unfortunately I am not right now in a spot I can check on which specific jackets (and gloves) I have owned from BD but they are probably my favorite.

The ones I own are relatively close fitting, not quite like Arctryx (which I generally feel is optimally cut for a European skinny guy) but I don’t get a lot of layers beneath them. I have had really good luck with their windproof stuff which works as well as or better than anything else I have tried.
    Polite Professional

If you're okay with unlined, I would say give the Outdoor Research Ferrosi Hooded Jacket a peek; otherwise, the Ferrosi Grid Hooded Jacket. I've not ever used an OR jacket, but I absolutely love the Ferrosi material based off my experience with the Ferrosi Pants. They also have a great pro deal, should you qualify, and an awesome lifetime, essentially no questions asked, warranty.

My main experiences with softshell tops are with the Otte Alpine Jacket; I've been rocking my black one for almost a decade now, to the point that the zipper is getting finicky. I also have a MultiCam one (because gear queer), and it's held up well as it's become my main softshell when I do backcountry stuff. I also have a Beyond A5 Action Shirt, but that is hoodless; totally unlined, and makes for a great windshirt.

IMO, an unlined softshell jacket is probably more versatile, if you're into the whole layering scheme. I'll take my Naga Hoody with the Action Shirt over the Alpine Jacket alone, outside of when rain or wet snow is an issue (if it's cold enough out, the snow won't melt on the Naga hood, and it works just fine to keep the flakes off me).

Have an older TAD Gear rain shell I live in when its bad weather. Expensive for sure but lasts, I havent gotten amytbong recently but I would go PDW before TAD now because of the shit that went down with Patrick Ma.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I've leaned on my Arc'teryx Zeta LT (more that you need to spend with multilayer goretex) a lot in the past few years as it packs up nice and it is very comfortable in wind and rain. Due to the lack of permeability, it is reasonably warm for 40s and 50s weather. I'd layer with an Atom LT of it for any cooler than that. The Atom breathes really well, but it's not much against significant rain.

I do have long chimpanzee arms and a thin build, so the Arc'teryx stuff fits me like a dream, and it's designed to layer well.

The Marmot PreCip jackets and their competition make great light jackets for rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Triple Aught Design
    Mammut
    Prometheus Design Werx

The PDW design Iliad is my current favorite - https://prometheusdesignwerx.com/col...15382897164374

The Mammut is #2. Warning with Mammut, they must use a chimpanzee as a design model. I wear an L in most jackets and shirts, to fit a broad chest and short(ish) arms. Mammut requires a 2XL to fit my chest if I want a layer underneath and it's about 4" too long in the sleeves. Fortunately it has velcro cuffs and I'm normally wearing it in the winter with gloves and other layers, blah-blah-blah. I don't care that it is long basically, plus it was 125 bucks at REI on sale.

Be aware, a lot of the TAD clothing is sewn offshore these days, particularly any water proof / resistant items.

I have a Stealth hooded soft shell, sewn in China. It doesn’t breathe very well, but it is quite water resistant. The pocket system is a little lame as well. It will last me a few more years, then I’ll shop for a replacement.

User Tag List