Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Bill Wilson Maintains a 1911

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Pay attention! Bill said nothing about his pistol needing cleaning every three hundred rounds. He said this was his cleaning routine he performs about every three hundred rounds. He also emphasized that lubrication is important, that a 1911 will run dirty if it's kept lubed.
    Exactly. He made that point a few times in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Pay attention! Bill said nothing about his pistol needing cleaning every three hundred rounds. He said this was his cleaning routine he performs about every three hundred rounds. He also emphasized that lubrication is important, that a 1911 will run dirty if it's kept lubed.
    Thank you! I forgot that I need to pay attention to this stuff.

I spend 5 minutes cleaning each of my pistols EVERY time I shoot, whether it’s one mag, or 200 rounds.

Site Supporter
    There's more to the video than how often guns should have a basic cleaning. It covers basic cleaning, deep cleaning, lubrication, and long term maintenance of the 1911 pistol. It's a pretty good starting point for people new to 1911 maintenance in general. People who've been doing it a while can develop their own habits based on needs and preferences.

Cleaning every time you shoot seems way excessive to me, but that's your choice and that's fine.
    Last edited by Robinson; 08-30-2019 at 12:08 PM.

I confess to shaking my head when Bill and Ken described a class full of students who couldn't detail strip their 1911s.

C'mon! It's like replacing batteries in a flashlight. (OK maybe a teeny bit trickier)
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Anyone remember Phil Hartman’s Anally Retentive Chef character from SNL?

Bill Wilson is the anally retentive gunsmith - doing a detail strip every 300 rounds even when he says it’s not necessary.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Anyone remember Phil Hartman’s Anally Retentive Chef character from SNL?

Bill Wilson is the anally retentive gunsmith - doing a detail strip every 300 rounds even when he says it’s not necessary.
    Based on what is actually shown in the video, that gun had gone thousands of rounds without a complete disassembly and cleaning.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I confess to shaking my head when Bill and Ken described a class full of students who couldn't detail strip their 1911s.

C'mon! It's like replacing batteries in a flashlight. (OK maybe a teeny bit trickier)
    Yes. I mean, a Series 80 can be a bit of a pain in the ass when you're in a hurry but still...

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Based on what is actually shown in the video, that gun had gone thousands of rounds without a complete disassembly and cleaning.
    It just a little joke.

Man, you 1911 aficionados are a serious bunch. I wouldn’t be surprised if you are a little...I’m drawing a blank. It’s a hyphenated worded meaning excessively fussy and orderly. It will come to me in a minute.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    It just a little joke.

Man, you 1911 aficionados are a serious bunch. I wouldn’t be surprised if you are a little...I’m drawing a blank. It’s a hyphenated worded meaning excessively fussy and orderly. It will come to me in a minute.
    Sorry, I suffered a bout of humor impairment.

User Tag List