Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Bill Wilson Maintains a 1911

How Bill Wilson Maintains a 1911

From servicing the extractor, to when each spring needs to be replaced, here is how Bill Wilson maintains his 1911.

Site Supporter
    That's a good one. I don't use the exact same process but try to accomplish pretty much the same things in my 1911 maintenance. I typically go longer between basic maintenance cycles than Bill W. though. I usually go about 500 rounds or so.

It's interesting to listen to the extra history and anecdotes Bill W. interjects.

300rd interval... With all due respect. What is this?? My average practice session is 600rd, more on weekends during the summer time. I do not have time to clean it for the next day practice either. I'd just re- apply some oil. It is common to shoot a multiple day match of over 500rds in one day. I just did it last Saturday. Nobody cleans anything. And I am talking about tight competition guns that are tuned to the maximum performance with very weak springs. If you need to clean a gun every 300rds, you need a different gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    That's a good one. I don't use the exact same process but try to accomplish pretty much the same things in my 1911 maintenance. I typically go longer between basic maintenance cycles than Bill W. though. I usually go about 500 rounds or so.

It's interesting to listen to the extra history and anecdotes Bill W. interjects.
    To clarify the above, to be honest I lube my 1911s every 500 rounds or so. Cleaning actually happens much less frequently.

People need to realize that most everything Wilson puts out are infomercials.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    And they work! I just bought his chamber cleaning brush for $2.95, 75% off. 🥳
    Real guns have hammers.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Which people? Granted most PF members won't learn much if anything from this video, but that doesn't mean the content is no good.

Maybe he should have demonstrated his maintenance process on an Ed Brown pistol instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    300rd interval... With all due respect. What is this?? My average practice session is 600rd, more on weekends during the summer time. I do not have time to clean it for the next day practice either. I'd just re- apply some oil. It is common to shoot a multiple day match of over 500rds in one day. I just did it last Saturday. Nobody cleans anything. And I am talking about tight competition guns that are tuned to the maximum performance with very weak springs. If you need to clean a gun every 300rds, you need a different gun.
    I hear ya. Two TRPs, an LB Operator, a full custom build Dave Sams .45 that is hard fit as a M'Fk'er just run and run and run with lube but much less frequent cleaning than 300. I don't actually know when they NEED to be cleaned as I don't see them manifest any related issues. I just clean them at some point of out principle.

And my CQB Elite, fairly recent acquisition appears to be the equal to the above.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-29-2019 at 08:16 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Lord it's been forever but I want to say when I got my Wilson 9mm CQB, the instructions said not to break down or clean for the first 1000 rounds. Does need lube however.

cc

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    Pay attention! Bill said nothing about his pistol needing cleaning every three hundred rounds. He said this was his cleaning routine he performs about every three hundred rounds. He also emphasized that lubrication is important, that a 1911 will run dirty if it's kept lubed.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List