Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: VA state police deal with crazed, naked murder suspect

One thing to keep in mind here is that there are two ways we should view this. One way is we know the outcome and in hindsight what could have been done differently. The other is based off what we see, was the force reasonable based off of what we presume the officer knew at that moment.

In hindsight it’s very easy to say that the suspect should have been handled fairly early in that encounter and justify it based off the fact that after he was taken into custody he was determined to be the murder suspect. In BFE Virginia, if you think some meth’d out white boy can’t randomly pop out of the woods, run into the middle of a major police incident looking for help because he’s getting chased by “them”, I think you’re making some poor assumptions about what could go wrong this world.

There’s plenty to criticize regardless of how you look at this. The use of force standard is was this use of force reasonable based off of what was or was not reasonably known to the actor at the time or are we applying 20/20 hindsight.

I don’t know if there an applicable felony statute for choking, otherwise those officer were not in a clear cut fleeing felon situation.
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-28-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I don’t know if there an applicable felony statute for choking, otherwise those officer were not in a clear cut fleeing felon situation.
    Im pretty sure the three people he killed before that will bring felony charges.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Several were running from him?

The officer struck the suspect with a baton while he was chocking the bystander.
    I believe it was a woman officer in the first part of the video that was running from the guy.

Watch the video closely. Officer never hit the guy with his baton. With that half hearted swing it looks like he is intentionally trying not to hit the guy.

I guess they just do things differently in VA. I just hope that VA is a shall issue state because they definitely need it.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I believe it was a woman officer in the first part of the video that was running from the guy.

Watch the video closely. Officer never hit the guy with his baton. With that half hearted swing it looks like he is intentionally trying not to hit the guy.

I guess they just do things differently in VA. I just hope that VA is a shall issue state because they definitely need it.
    I’ve watched the video about a dozen times. It’s one officer dealing with the suspect until he runs down the road into the other officers.

You asked why no one used a baton, and the officer clearly did use his baton. The officer also looked to be smoked by that point, and the strike didn’t appear to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’ve watched the video about a dozen times. It’s one officer dealing with the suspect until he runs down the road into the other officers.

You asked why no one used a baton, and the officer clearly did use his baton. The officer also looked to be smoked by that point, and the strike didn’t appear to be effective.
    Went back and watched that part, and yup, it's clear as day.

@Borderlands, you need to stop fucking commenting from whatever planet you're on. You make no sense and have no idea what you're talking about, and seem to just make stuff up half the time.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Went back and watched that part, and yup, it's clear as day.

@Borderlands, you need to stop fucking commenting from whatever planet you're on. You make no sense and have no idea what you're talking about, and seem to just make stuff up half the time.
    Maybe he did prior to the film starting and the suspect took it and threw it.
    Well heck, I thought it was a woman LEO. My bad.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-28-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I couldn't tell, the baton strike does appear weak. Was the baton a proper one or collapsible? I would expect a result like that from a collapsible baton almost regardless of strength of the swing. Clearly this individual was out of his head.

OC Failure sucks. Baton hit sucks. No sling (or crappy sling?) on the rifle. K9 failed to engage. Clusterfuck all around, but an example of how things can go. I commend the officer on attempts to utilize less lethal force and for staying on both the suspect and not giving up, even when gassed. But definitely hope that they receive some remedial less-lethal training, get a sling on that rifle post-haste, and get some more cardio on (though to be fair, I don't know how long the foot chase was going on). At least it did not end with lethal force having to be used.

Are VA State Police not commonly issued Tasers? I've seen situations like this play out here in Chicago, where if a Taser had been available it might well have helped. This strikes me as one of those times too. Naked guy, whacked out of his mind. Send him for a ride and get backup up to you to cuff him. Of course, I know that a lot of departments are moving to a UOF doctrine that can treat the Taser like lethal force, so it might not have been useful here.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    [what you quoted from me]
    God damnit you're fucking retarded. I didn't state that's what happened.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Let’s dial it back a bit here.
    #RESIST

Dang. That looked like something out of a Benny Hill skit, with the naked dude chasing a cop around in circles.

No clue about batons or what not, but weak or not, the crazy dude disengaged from the would be 4th victim, so in that respect it worked.

The dog looks like even it was worried about catching something nasty if it bit the dude. I think it would have been awesome to see the dog latch onto mr. crazy’s junk and drag him about a bit.

Glad they caught the guy, hope he gets a long stint out of public circulation and possibly a quick needle treatment.

Surprised that there was no Tazer deployed.

User Tag List