Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VA state police deal with crazed, naked murder suspect

VA state police deal with crazed, naked murder suspect

Video at link SFW. Honestly, I'm not one to Monday morning quarterback but that cop with the AR chasing the cop around could have quickly and decisively put that suspect down in a non lethal manner with a butt stroke or a magazine or muzzle strike from his AR. I'm quite open to the fact that the trooper might not have been trained in using the AR as an impact weapon.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/27/see-it...ld-foot-chase/
    #RESIST

He did not appear to be especially dangerous. A bit off but not dangerous.

I’m glad he was not shot.

Officer needs some less-than-lethal skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post

He'd just killed some people, not sure if the cop knew that or not.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He just killed three people and tried to choke an innocent bystander.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    He'd just killed some people, not sure if the cop knew that or not.
    LE knew, they were actively looking for him.

Liability for when intermediate force ends up killing/maiming someone is generally mitigated by documented training and policies.

I'm not aware of any LE agency that trains their officers to strike someone in the head with a hard object as intermediate force, for obvious reasons. You'd be toast if the guy ended up suffering some serious affliction or died from butt-stroking him.

I'm not going to comment one way or the other as to how the officer should have handled it, but I don't think that critiquing LEOs and saying they should just butt-stroke people is a great viewpoint in 2019 America unless said officer is already at the point of justifying deadly force.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Liability for when intermediate force ends up killing/maiming someone is generally mitigated by documented training and policies.

I'm not aware of any LE agency that trains their officers to strike someone in the head with a hard object as intermediate force, for obvious reasons. You'd be toast if the guy ended up suffering some serious affliction or died from butt-stroking him.

I'm not going to comment one way or the other as to how the officer should have handled it, but I don't think that critiquing LEOs and saying they should just butt-stroke people is a great viewpoint in 2019 America unless said officer is already at the point of justifying deadly force.
    I've seen lots of video where LEO has been injured by not defending themselves. I'm not sure but is this the result of training to not use anything to strike an individual? I just don't know so that's why I'm asking. Do officers even carry batons anymore? I don't think I've seen them in awhile.

I'm thinking a rap on the head with a baton is far better than being shot but I'm not LE so I don't have to worry about a lawsuit.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I really, really tried not to say "the officer should have" and did not, however I did say "could have". I understand that there's SOPs and liabilities I'm not aware of.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    He just killed three people and tried to choke an innocent bystander.
    Yeah, I was anticipating deadly force after the choke.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm thinking a rap on the head with a baton is far better than being shot but I'm not LE so I don't have to worry about a lawsuit.
    We can only use baton strikes to the head when deadly force is authorized.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've seen lots of video where LEO has been injured by not defending themselves. I'm not sure but is this the result of training to not use anything to strike an individual? I just don't know so that's why I'm asking. Do officers even carry batons anymore? I don't think I've seen them in awhile.

I never said that a LEO should not strike anyone or defend themselves, but there's a way it has to be gone about these days. Some things that were okay in the 70s, like hitting someone in the head with a sap, are no longer kosher. It is absolutely a more restrictive environment, and saying cops should just baton people in the head is easy to say as someone who isn't a cop and doesn't know what they're talking about...…...it's another matter altogether for someone who understands current UOF law, TTPs, and will have to look their wife in the eye and explain why the family has lost all of their savings due to a lawsuit, hubby is out of a job and has no income, no health insurance, and still needs to find a way to move because of incessant harassment and death threats.

Batons are standard equipment for all police nationwide. I don't know what you're talking about.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List