Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RMR/SRO auto vs manual

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Three is a relief, because while 2 may be 1 with an RMR, with a SRO 3 is 1. You do drop your pistols on boulders every shift, right?
    Correct! My pre-tour gear inspection includes a drop test directly onto the optic from the roof of our 4 story parking structure. #DataPoint

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    Correct! My pre-tour gear inspection includes a drop test directly onto the optic from the roof of our 4 story parking structure. #DataPoint
    No Kidding: I was playing around last week, doing fast draws and re-holstering the same way and I missed the holster (really stupid of me). It hit the concrete floor, right on top of the SRO and not only cracked the lens, but put enough of a dent in the frame that would not be able to be repaired. The first person I talked to told me it's not covered under warranty and I was out of luck. I read in another forum that a guy did the same thing and they replaced it. I called back and talked to another person and they are sending me a new one. How's that for service, thanks Trijicon.

I bought two auto-adjust RMRs to test in a Sage Dynamics Red Dot Instructor class at the beginning of March. I purchased the units off Amazon.com without checking if they had the adjustment buttons. One of the models was a 3.25 MOA dot and the other was the 6 MOA version. I have the 3.25 MOA on my STI Staccato P DUO 4.15". With a brand new X300 the other night in my backyard in complete darkness, the dot was not bright enough to see without searching for it. I would not want to be clearing the yard, looking for a badguy with this set up. For info, I was just testing and no bad men were harmed in the course of the test. I would not recommend the auto-adjust models for duty use.

The only time I have trouble with the self adjust feature with a non adjustable RMR is after dark with a strong light behind me. I shoot steel challenge on certain evenings. In spring and fall, when they turn on the lights to illuminate the targets, I lose the dot. I then have to use the backup irons. Interestingly enough, the dot brightens enough to use after the first shot in the string. Muzzle blast affecting the brightness or recoil making the dot brighter? I have no idea.
    Real guns have hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    The only time I have trouble with the self adjust feature with a non adjustable RMR is after dark with a strong light behind me. I shoot steel challenge on certain evenings. In spring and fall, when they turn on the lights to illuminate the targets, I lose the dot. I then have to use the backup irons. Interestingly enough, the dot brightens enough to use after the first shot in the string. Muzzle blast affecting the brightness or recoil making the dot brighter? I have no idea.
    I had the same problem with one of my reflex sights. I tightened the battery cap more and that cured it. Make sure the battery is not drained down too far. Low voltage will also cause that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    I had the same problem with one of my reflex sights. I tightened the battery cap more and that cured it. Make sure the battery is not drained down too far. Low voltage will also cause that to happen.
    The dot works fine. The battery cover is on tight. I'm just noting that in these circumstances (after dark with only light behind you) the dot does brighten, slightly but enough to use, after the first shot. Since I'm shooting a fast string, I've never noted how long it takes the dot to adjust itself down to obscurity again. As an experiment, I'll try to find that out this season, assuming we ever get to shoot again.
    Real guns have hammers.

both of my RMR equipped pistols live with an x300 on them. and I prefer the manual setting 2-3 clicks from the top

I keep my SRO locked.

User Tag List