Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RMR/SRO auto vs manual

RMR/SRO auto vs manual

For carry, I typically run my RMR/ SRO on auto. Same for range and competition use, although in certain light conditions or types of shooting (think Smoke and Hope type speed) I might manually adjust the dot intensity.

What is your practice?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

USPSA so far I have left it in auto, I shot a steel match this past weekend and it was pretty sunny out so I switched to manual and went up full and then down 2.
    Worked out well, dot was sharp and clear.

Auto mode has worked for my RMR for the last three years of carry/duty/USPSA. The dot always seems to be at the right level.

However, I've accidentally bumped the switch by accident a few times, putting it in manual mode. Thus far, it's been bumps to the "+" button, so it defaulted to being brighter, which is probably better than the dot being too dim to pick up.
    Last edited by Horseman; 08-28-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Auto mode here. When started with RDS, I went RM06 because I wanted my RDS use to be similar in practice to my irons use- set it and forget it. I could see where there may be an issue shooting from a dark environment into a bright one, but I haven’t yet run across that as issue in my usage, and I back up my dot with a green, pistol-mounted laser.

I’m also comfortable with cranking up the intensity of I think I’ll need it, but my RMR spends 95+% of its time in auto mode.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Mostly running an RMR so far. Pretty much same so far with SRO.

I have been running dry practice in the early mornings, outside - before/at sunrise - for about 3 months now, - most time it gives the auto a workout, going dimmer/brighter a bunch. I don't dig that and its kinda distracting - on one draw, the dot is little + dimmer, - next one, bigger + brighter. Having it switch size and intensity in middle of an array is no good to me. To be fair - it literally is getting brighter by the minute and then less bright once the sun breaks the horizon. But I always just pick where I want it and its set. I have had a few times I've bumped it up a little going further into practice.

At matches and training days - so far they have all been bright sunny days. I HAVE to wear tinted eye pro in the sun, so I've bumped the brightness all the way up, then down 1. I have a feeling without the tinted glasses I wouldn't have to have it so bright, but probably would still prefer it.

Have my carry slide out getting milled for the RMR right now. When I get it back, I will set the brightness level when putting the holster on.

Cliff notes version - I strongly prefer setting brightness manually. I would prefer having the dot a little too bright/big compared to to dim/small.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

RMR in auto on my carry guns.

When I used one in USPSA it was on auto as well. When my SRO arrives I expect it will be on auto as well, although a DPP in manual has been serving me well.

RMR Type 2 carry and comp: auto. Always seems to go to the right level, with a bias toward too bright--which is good imo.

SRO 2.5 MOA: auto not usable. Way too dim and small too much of the time. Also seemingly more erratic auto adjustment than RMR but that may not be a real thing.

SRO 5 MOA: TBD because they're still in a sealed shipping box until at least next week.

I believe the best auto-adjust I've used has been the Shield RMS. Sucked in other ways (scratch lens and moisture=death), but great auto-adjust, smooth analogue rather than jumpy digital and always just right with a bias towards too bright, especially in the dark (no washout with weapon light, typically the bane of auto-adjust dots).

Hoping hard for SRO 5 MOA, as I don't love with the 2.5 MOA having to set one click down from max in daytime (too bright indoors) and two clicks down from max night time (good for use with flashlight or bright indoor lighting but too bright in darker lighting).

Tritium iron sights don't require manual brightness adjustment. . . .

BTW on the SRO durability front (may have been another thread): people point to the Sage drop tests showing that the SRO is less impact resistant than the RMR. Anyone done similar tests on Trijicon/Ameriglo/other common iron sights? Dropping from shoulder height onto concrete/rock right on the sights or at a slight angle? I doubt the iron sights would shatter but I also doubt they'd hold zero or provide the usual sight picture after such abuse. Front sight might go bye-bye depending on angle. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK View Post

I believe the best auto-adjust I've used has been the Shield RMS. Sucked in other ways (scratch lens and moisture=death), but great auto-adjust, smooth analogue rather than jumpy digital and always just right with a bias towards too bright, especially in the dark (no washout with weapon light, typically the bane of auto-adjust dots).
    I've had the same experience with the shield RMS as well (4moa an d8moa) their auto adjust is really good
    I ave the 5moa on my CZ and on my M&P , I haven't really shot indoors but I've shot a couple of matches no withe the CZ and the auto
    on the 5moa has been very good IMO.

When carrying with the x300u is mounted I set the dot manually. When in darkness and using light while shooting the dot was not where I wanted it. I have practiced in quite a few different lighting conditions with wmls attached. And I definitely prefer setting the dot to a happy medium and not worrying about it. Without a Wml the dot seems to work fairly well in auto. But I am very interested in a type 3 with auto/lockout mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 moa SRO: auto?

Been playing with the 5 MOA SROs and they are most certainly more useful in auto mode than the 2.5 MOA. Just got them zeroed at an indoor range with bad lighting (dimmer shooting points, brighter target area) and the auto adjusted brightness was good, maybe a little bright for optimal precision. So far adequate dot brightness in all conditions except very dark + weapon light on nearby white wall, or from dark garage out a distant window to sunny sky. Not realistically needed conditions and in any case the backup trijicon iron sights were well silhouetted. Promising. . . .

Also forgot to add previously that the auto-adjust on the Holosun HS507C was a joke for any purpose--way too dim. It was a manual-only optic for me, up until one proved that Holosun's water resistance rating was optimistic and another started fritzing for no apparent reason (spontaneously changing reticles and modes). If the 5 MOA SRO keeps working well I'll have no temptation to try the hs508t, especially as I concluded that for me the circle-dot reticle at useful brightness level was too occlusive compared to a good dot.

User Tag List