Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another mass arson attack (Mexico)

Another mass arson attack (Mexico)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-coatzacoalcos

23 dead so far... The attack comes just over 1 month since an arsonist killed 33 in Japan and almost 8 years to the day after another arson attack killed 52 in Monterrey.

Another mass arson attack (Mexico)

Time to ban assault fire! We must have common sense fire control!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spinmove_; 08-28-2019 at 07:02 AM.

So, when will they ban "assault matches"?

It's for the children, y'know?
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    So, when will they ban "assault matches"?

It's for the children, y'know?
    If you had bothered to educate yourself, you'd know that AM stands for Atlas Match, not Assault Match.
    https://atlasmatch.com

Still, nobody NEEDS more than 10 matches in a matchbook. The NMA has blood on its hands.

ETA - at the very least we have to get rid of the legal loophole that allows the online purchase of high caliber military assault matches with no background check.

Name:  box-matches-camouflage-packaging-d-rendering-illustration-isolated-box-matches-camouflage-packag.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  22.7 KB
    Last edited by Kanye Wyoming; 08-28-2019 at 08:17 AM.

Burning people to death is next level psychotic.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Hey guys, I’m gownna be the wet blanket on your sarcasm party...w

Can we can the “let’s ban the X...!” Sarcasm shit?

We all tend to agree that prohibition doesn’t work and that humans will find a way to kill each other. 23 dead and counting for gang violence. Mexico is spiraling into a war zone and innocent people are being killed because of it.

This isn’t a narcissist seeking fame. This is cartel violence run amok. No different than ethnic cleansing.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Hey guys, I’m gownna be the wet blanket on your sarcasm party...w

Can we can the “let’s ban the X...!” Sarcasm shit?

We all tend to agree that prohibition doesn’t work and that humans will find a way to kill each other. 23 dead and counting for gang violence. Mexico is spiraling into a war zone and innocent people are being killed because of it.

This isn’t a narcissist seeking fame. This is cartel violence run amok. No different than ethnic cleansing.
    Apologies for the sarcasm.

This is a terrible tragedy. Mexico is plagued by cartel violence and the country and its people would be much better off if cartel violence could be eliminated. Mass killing by means other than firearms could be thought to have relevance to the efforts in the U.S. to ban or restrict civilian ownership of all or some firearms or firearms components because it illustrates that people with evil in their hearts and/or a screw loose, who want to kill many other people, will always have a readily available means to do so that doesn't involve firearms.

Better?
    Last edited by Kanye Wyoming; 08-28-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer81 View Post
    Apologies for the sarcasm.

This is a terrible tragedy. Mexico is plagued by cartel violence and the country and its people would be much better off if cartel violence could be eliminated. Mass killing by means other than firearms has no relevance to the efforts in the U.S. to ban or restrict civilian ownership of all or some firearms or firearms components because it in no way illustrates vividly that people with evil in their hearts and/or a screw loose, who want to kill many other people, will always have a readily available means to do so that doesn't involve firearms.

Better?
    No.

We can both discuss reasonably how a culture of disarmament can promote horrific acts of violence using other means than firearms. But we can do so in a manner that is productive, genuine, and lacks the acerbic ‘wit’ that so many default to.

In other words, it’s possible to be both reflective and empathetic.

Being an asshole doesn’t accomplish much. Other than make you look like an asshole. And it’s a good way to make other people think you lack empathy. I don’t believe you, personally Zimmer81, lack empathy. Nor do I think anyone here really lacks empathy. But we should think about how we discuss and word things. Not just amongst ourselves in “the locker room” - but in general. We really must endeavor to be and project the message we desire to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    No.

We can both discuss reasonably how a culture of disarmament can promote horrific acts of violence using other means than firearms. But we can do so in a manner that is productive, genuine, and lacks the acerbic ‘wit’ that so many default to.

In other words, it’s possible to be both reflective and empathetic.

Being an asshole doesn’t accomplish much. Other than make you look like an asshole. And it’s a good way to make other people think you lack empathy. I don’t believe you, personally Zimmer81, lack empathy. Nor do I think anyone here really lacks empathy. But we should think about how we discuss and word things. Not just amongst ourselves in “the locker room” - but in general. We really must endeavor to be and project the message we desire to be seen.
    Humor is one of the most effective ways of confronting adversity and coping with difficult situations, especially when we have little control over them, or none at all. “By laughing at our fate, it is as if we were stepping out of a situation and looking at it from a distance, as if we were outside observers, so to speak,” writes Rabbi Reuven Bulka.

By so doing, we gain the ability to transcend the circumstances, which may be the cause of our anguish. Theodor Reik, a disciple of Sigmund Freud who settled in New York in the 1920s, remarked that life is often tragic and sad. By joking about it, we succeed in transcending the tragic character of an event and bringing it under our control. “By using humor, the lament often turns into laughter,” remarked Reik (Jewish Wit, New York, 1962).

What do you suppose makes Jews joke so much about adversity? “It is the instinct for self-preservation” says Ausubel. “By laughing at the absurdities and cruelties of life, we draw much of the sting from them. The jester’s bells make an honest tinkle, and his comic capers conceal his inner gravity. His satire and irony have one virtue: you never for a moment suspect that his barbs are directed at you. And so you laugh boisterously, feeling supe*rior to the poor shmiggege, while all the time, it is you who are the target!”

In Jewish humor, comedy and tragedy are intertwined and it is often what you might call “laughter through tears,” or as we say in Yiddish, “a bitterer gelekhter!”
    https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...ugh-the-tears/

Rob, I know you mean well but seriously, you don't get to choose when it's appropriate for a sarcastic remark or cynical reply, especially from the moral high ground.

Perhaps you should comb through your posts on this board and then try to remember the adage: "Physician, heal thyself!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List