Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17L holster

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    A proper OWB holster should cover the front sight post, at a bare minimum.
    This ^^^.

Not to mention the quality and fit of Fobus holsters are shit.

Blade Tech makes their classic OWB holster for the “17/24 Longslide” I have one for my 17L - it’s a good holster.

https://blade-tech.com/products/clas...7-24-longslide
    Last edited by HCM; 08-28-2019 at 07:03 PM.

If it was a duty holster, where I was getting in and out of cars or scuffling with street scum, sure.

I don't really see the need for a light duty range / outdoors holster where the holster/pistol is unlike to encounter anything harder then a jacket zipper.

Especially if foregoing front sight coverage allows it to fit the entire family of Glock pistols.

One will eventually knock their pistol out of the holster when sitting down if the muzzle isn’t covered.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    If it was a duty holster, where I was getting in and out of cars or scuffling with street scum, sure.

I don't really see the need for a light duty range / outdoors holster where the holster/pistol is unlike to encounter anything harder then a jacket zipper.

Especially if foregoing front sight coverage allows it to fit the entire family of Glock pistols.
    I've banged my pistols, owb/aiwb more on "stuff" than I have while fighting anyone. It happens and it's a cheap stopgap to cover the front sight (and rear sight if possible) to prevent a possible catastrophic issue.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

This. One of my pet peeves is seeing LEO's (in plain clothes) carrying guns in holsters where their front sight is exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    One will eventually knock their pistol out of the holster when sitting down if the muzzle isn’t covered.
    I agree with you and think unprotected muzzles are dumb, but why do you think yaqui slide holsters were popular back in the day? I see pics of Colonel wearing them for example.

Hammertime
    I've banged my pistols, owb/aiwb more on "stuff" than I have while fighting anyone. It happens and it's a cheap stopgap to cover the front sight (and rear sight if possible) to prevent a possible catastrophic issue.
    I learned something today. Never thought of any of the above, but I don't really carry OWB much.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I agree with you and think unprotected muzzles are dumb, but why do you think yaqui slide holsters were popular back in the day? I see pics of Colonel wearing them for example.
    I had that thought too. I would be willing to accept the posit that the Colonel never sat down until he was in his eighties. I think fundamentally the “you ain’t him” rule applies.

A Yaqui doesn’t let a 5” pop out like kydex would, but I wouldn’t want the pistol to be bumped up a little so that the trigger was exposed. Of course that would be a rare example of a 1911 being a lot safer than a glock.

Thank you, I had never considered that.

I was wrong; I'm now going for a dedicated 17L holster then that covers the muzzle.

So far it's looking like the BladeTech as the off the shelf 17L option.

Re: uncovered muzzle...

Yes having a covered muzzle is a good idea, however, having an area which can allow for brass to exit is a very smart idea...I drill large holes in the bottom of my safariland holsters to this end.

As for IWB or AIWB holsters, an open bottom end is necessary to allow for objects to pass through the holster.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List