Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putin built a hypersonic arsenal, while the Pentagon slept

Putin built a hypersonic arsenal, while the Pentagon slept

https://thehill.com/opinion/national...pentagon-slept

As the Pentagon itself acknowledges, the United States lags behind both Russia and China in hypersonic weapons development and is only at the starting gate when it comes to defenses against these systems.
    #RESIST

Puts "English as a second language" into perspective...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

And here I thought Russia was reacting to Prompt Global Strike (PGS), the follow-on to "Project Falcon".

In September 2014, Russia′s president Vladimir Putin mentioned PGS among a number of the new threats Russia faced, along with the US Ground-Based Mid-course Defense system in Alaska, the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System in Europe, and increased NATO activity in eastern Europe. Deputy prime minister Dmitry Rogozin again warned that Russia would upgrade its strategic nuclear forces and aerospace defenses in response to the PGS system.

Didnt know the Hill was spewing Rusky propaganda.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I don't know if their "hypersonic arsenals" are ready, but boy they will be a game changer when they do...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Didnt know the Hill was spewing Rusky propaganda.

I thought we have publicly acknowledged that we were lagging behind both Russia and China on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I thought we have publicly acknowledged that we were lagging behind both Russia and China on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe but you also need to take all of what putin says with a mountain of salt, plus they just had a mysterious explosion that is probably related to their nuclear powered missile, skyfall.

I have respect for the authors organization but this is also an opinion piece.
    Last edited by Grey; 08-27-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    And here I thought Russia was reacting to Prompt Global Strike (PGS), the follow-on to "Project Falcon".
    Exactly this.

We don't need HGVs until russia has a GMD clone. Our ICBM/SLBMs can do just fine.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I don't buy it.

There is decades' worth of experience behind claims of Russian/Soviet game-changing weapon systems only to find out that either the things never made it out of the experimental stage or, if they were deployed, they weren't exactly all that and a bag of chips.

Part of the hyping comes from the denizens of Ft. Fumble and the contractors, who have always been eager to hype up the threat from the Soviet Union/Russia for their own purposes.

Russia's failures with regard to Mars, their inability to advance in manned flight beyond Soyuz and their fairly crappy airliners pretty much tell the tale of what the Russians really can do.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I've often suggested that people not believe what they read when it comes to defense, procurement, and RDT&E. If you're reading it, it's for a reason.

ETA: The first company I worked for offered a noontime class in hypersonics, so of course I took it. That was about 1988 or so. Hypersonics is not new.
    Last edited by trailrunner; 08-27-2019 at 06:59 PM.

User Tag List