Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: J&J ordered to Pay $572M by Oklahoma judge, implying J&J is a "pusher" of drugs...

J&J ordered to Pay $572M by Oklahoma judge, implying J&J is a "pusher" of drugs...

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...m-opioid-case/

I'll link to the Breitbart article; I'm sure people can find other sources for different takes on this.
    I'll not get too deep into whether J&J has done wrong here, as I suspect as with so many things there's blame to go around for all.
    Did J&J market their drugs aggressively? No doubt. Too aggressively? *maybe?*
    Did *some* doctors generously prescribe potentially addictive medications? Undoubtedly.
    Did the public taking them overuse them? Possibly. Did they do their due diligence and take personal responsibility for their use and/or overuse? Some maybe not enough.

My big concern, combine this order with you know the future ones that are coming, as well as the precedent set against Big Tobacco, and I can see the groundwork being laid for liberals to attack PLCAA in the not too distant future.

They played the long game on education, and so far have run up the score pretty well against conservatives; I don't see any reason they're not taking the same approach to PLCAA and guns.

The difference between paranoia and prescience is time.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 08-27-2019 at 02:58 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

As an okie whose dad is basically not himself any more because doctors feed him a string of carefully managed pills instead of doing anything to actually fix his severe pain, and then treat him like he’s some sort of criminal derelict because he needs those pills now...

Not crazy about the lawsuit, either. It has a lot of elements of a cash grab by a financially strained state and it leaves out a lot of layers of responsibility. And as you’ve noted contributes to some dangerous precedents.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Government officials: Prescription drugs cost too much money!

Also government officials: Sue drug companies for making and marketing prescription drugs!

The whole situation is 9 kinds of fucked up. We're so concerned about people abusing pain killers that people who actually suffer terribly have a hard time getting medication they need to function.

Yes, people abuse painkillers. Just like they abuse alcohol. We see any state officials lining up to sue Anheuser-Busch for the number of people killed or maimed by drunks?

At this point when government officials talk about an "epidemic" it is probably a good sign that said official needs to be flushed.
    3/15/2016

Opioids in fact, have a legitimate and valid use when used correctly, unlike tobacco products.

Every RX prescriber in America is well aware of the risks of opioids (ex. look at all the physician "wellness" programs) and has been for decades; we were definitely extensively schooled on those risks back in the 80's.

If members of the public don't want to subject themselves to the risk addiction, overdose, and death from opioids, then perhaps they should not abuse and take excessive quantities of such medications--it is much the same as with other habits which lead to health problems, like smoking, over-eating, excessive alcohol intake--avoid such behaviors and you won't have problems.

When I think of epidemics, I envision invisible viruses and bacteria which are difficult to physically see and avoid; not so much for objects and substances which a person can choose not to use......
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-27-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    As an okie whose dad is basically not himself any more because doctors feed him a string of carefully managed pills instead of doing anything to actually fix his severe pain, and then treat him like he’s some sort of criminal derelict because he needs those pills now...

Not crazy about the lawsuit, either. It has a lot of elements of a cash grab by a financially strained state and it leaves out a lot of layers of responsibility. And as you’ve noted contributes to some dangerous precedents.
    Tangential, but the more I have to deal with doctors as i'm getting older (*rage*) the more i'm convinced most of them haven't a fucking clue as to what's going on.
    Also slightly tangential but in my mind related; interesting how gov't got involved in saying what drugs should be controlled, and are now claiming how people who need them are now borderline criminals. That tune sounds awfully familiar to the one this site is primarily interested in.

This will get ugly, and it will get bloody, and soon.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

"Tangential, but the more I have to deal with doctors as i'm getting older (*rage*) the more i'm convinced most of them haven't a fucking clue as to what's going on."
    My wife is a teacher and likes to talk about her rule of thirds: a third of people are extremely good at what they do--remaining cutting edge, enthusiastic, and up to date on the latest theories, techniques, and procedures; a third of folks are safe, but uninspired--they simply do what they were trained to do, whether that training ended last week or three decades ago; finally a third of individuals should not be doing their occupation for a variety of reasons.

While my wife invented her rule for fellow teachers, it appears to be a reasonable estimate for many other professions, likely including healthcare. Just make sure you are dealing with providers in the upper third of the paradigm and you should do well....
    Last edited by DocGKR; 08-27-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Opioids in fact, have a legitimate and valid use when used correctly, unlike tobacco products.

Every RX prescriber in America is well aware of the risks of opioids (ex. look at all the physician "wellness" programs) and has been for decades; we were definitely extensively schooled on those risks back in the 80's.

If members of the public don't want to subject themselves to the risk addiction, overdose, and death from opioids, then perhaps they should not abuse and take excessive quantities of such medications--it is much the same as with other habits which lead to health problems, like smoking, over-eating, excessive alcohol intake--avoid such behaviors and you won't have problems.

When I think of epidemics, I envision invisible viruses and bacteria which are difficult to physically see and avoid; not so much for objects and substances which a person can choose not to use......
    Exactly so. The "personal responsibility" and "choice" factor has been taken out of nearly any discussion where there are negative consequences whether it's guns, drugs, vehicles, you name it. It's always someone else's fault and they need to pay. (I do not absolve the corporations of actual wrongdoing or malfeasance on their part.)

People can take dangerous prescription and / or recreational drugs (or alcohol) and choose not to continue or be enslaved by them. Or they can succumb. There is a choice in the matter. I've seen, very personally, both sides and both outcomes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I worry about people who actually need these meds getting them more than I do the addicted. Of course innocents get caught up in addiction , but that doesn’t mean the people who need them should be punished.

I’ve taken real pain pills once in my life. During a horribly painful ear infection. Personally, the pain would have to be that bad for me to want them again. Not my cup of tea.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    ... including healthcare. Just make sure you are dealing with providers in the upper third of the paradigm and you should do well....
    Any tips for finding such? Playing "shop a doctor" until I find one who says things that make sense to my non-medically-trained self doesn't seem right.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Who is JJ?

I hope it isn't some rap artist.

Never mind, I missed the link.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-27-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List