Thread: Call It And Leave It

Call It And Leave It

Steve Anderson often talks about a drill he likes called “ Call It And Leave It”. It’s basically a constant movement drill where you set up a fairly easy target to engage. Draw, break a shot and do a six foot run and break another shot. The goal is to “call as many shots as you can” in a predetermined amount of time. It teaches you shoot into and out of position. You can do it in live and dry fire. I do it semi frequently in dry fire. But my favourite iteration of this drill has become my all time favourite drill at the range:

I set a mini-popper at 12 yards. I mark out a six foot run and try to hit two clean shots on the steel. I’m really only concerned with the split time between shots. My best clean time is a 1.63, just yesterday. The video below I got to a 1.80, which was last week when my Go-Pro was still working.... I find this drill teaches so much about trying to leave early on a medium tough shot (you can lean out and slowly pick up a foot), and teaches a ton about shooting into position on a medium tough shot. The tip for this one is to think “shoot sooner” rather than raw speed. You need to explode into a run after the first shot breaks and then aim hard as you decelerate past the fault line. I am often shooting on one foot on my second shot, just as my foot touches ground over the fault line. This drill also teaches you what sight pictures are acceptable for these types of shots. You see a lot of these sort of scenarios in IPSC and USPSA so it’s a very effective training aid that covers a lot of ground.

Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

Edit to add: Yes this drill shows quite a few misses. I’m not so concerned with them as long as I am calling them, but the goal it for clean hits on the popper. I start missing more the farther I get into the drill when I’m getting tired.

Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 08-26-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I struggled with this drill in his class but there's a lot to learn from it.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    I struggled with this drill in his class but there's a lot to learn from it.
    There sure is.

I struggle with it still. I think 1.2-1.3 second splits are achievable at the very top level.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

User Tag List