Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating during limited hours

Eating during limited hours

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-fas...ad-11564676512

I have been +/- 168 pounds for the last 40 years. I get on the scale daily, and work hard at balancing intake with exercise to stay on my target weight. As you get older, that can take more effort. Without realizing it, I had been slowly moving towards the approach described in this article.

When I read this article early in August, I decided to try the 14 hour approach, and the results have been excellent. I maintain weight — well actually lost weight by eating what I did previously, but with the 14 hour program, am not hungry, and feel excellent energy. Effortlessly I dropped to 165 pounds, and am faced with an opportunity to eat more than I did previously, something that was totally unexpected. Besides the weight management benefits, the article suggests there are additional health benefits to this approach.

Might be worth considering.

Name:  E017B1BC-2F67-4323-A164-6D692501D023.jpg
Views: 1334
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  7A2540ED-2B85-4FBF-8C52-2CBA44CF1F9F.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  A314A566-7AA2-4371-A06B-5FF5F2A4E18E.jpg
Views: 1324
Size:  24.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

If you didn’t break your fast with a biscuit, no one will view your path as credible

You know, I did this a couple of years back, and it worked pretty well, but then I started getting really hungry and eating sugary crap and I fell off the wagon.

Reading the article you posted, I think I see my mistake--I was packing my big meal in at dinner, with 200 calories or so at lunch. I may give it a retry with this new information in mind.

Thanks!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    It’s interesting that lunch, or dinner as we call it, was often the big meal down here in the south for rural folks working on farms. It wasn’t true fasting because people did eat at breakfast and supper, but it was generally smaller portions.

ETA: after doing some quick internet research someone should call this the Roman diet and write a book, since they generally only ate one meal a day around lunch time. As we know the whole idea of 3 squares a day is fairly modern, and was rarely the historic norm.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-26-2019 at 10:03 PM.

I forget when I started this but I’ve been eating this way for at least a couple years. I skip breakfast, eat a fairly normal lunch and dinner. My last meal of the day varies between 6:00 and 8:00 and lunch is between 12:00 and 1:00 most days. Sometimes I have a light snack mid day if I get hungry. I’ve also found that a small protein shake before Jits helps me get through the workout without losing energy. I’ve tried a light snack of solid food before Jits but it doesn’t sit well for me.

The last few months I’ve had to up my calories a little bit and let myself eat a few more starchy foods like rice a sweet potatoes. My energy levels were dropping and I just didn’t feel like myself. The additional food has helped a lot.

I’m closer to 50 than 40 and I feel like I’m in great shape. Maybe the best condition I’ve ever been in short of a stretch in my early 20’s. I originally started eating this way to try and get my total cholesterol numbers down. I’ve never been over weight and always ate fairly clean but still had high total numbers. Ratios have always been good though. It’s worked a little. Keeps me just under the take meds or else your medically discharged limit. I absolutely refuse to take cholesterol meds.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've been doing this for several decades.

Typically I'll have a banana about 0600, then work from 0700-1900 without eating much, if anything (occasionally I'll have a yogurt, apple, or protein bar mid-day if I am feeling hungry or hypoglycemic). Then I'll have a single large meal around 1930-2100.

I get significant postprandial fatigue and lethargy, so mentally I feel much sharper not eating during the day with the benefit that I can endure long surgical cases without feeling the need to hit the head....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

For me, one of the main benefits of fasting is being comfortable with being hungry.

I’m not starving, I just feel hungry. Easy to say, but there are powerful forces at work there.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I have a friend, he is a nutritionist. He jumped my shit when I called it intermittent fasting. He said, it's just skipping f*cking breakfast, in those exact words. He admits it works, but the forces he sees are the simple fact it's an easy way to take 200 to 500 calories a day out of your diet. Whatever it is, I've been doing it for the last 6 months and have lost 60lbs. We only eat between noon and 8 on most days. Summer's a bastard for me and my work schedule, so sometimes it's 9pm.

I miss bacon and eggs for breakfast, or other breakfast type foods, so I just eat them for lunch some days. I make a mean cornbeef hash using acorn squash instead of potatoes, topped with two fried eggs, and it's a common lunch for me.

Site Supporter
    I needed to eat less and breakfast was the easiest meal for my body to skip. Who knew I was a trend setter?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

My parents tried to force feed me food in the morning from birth and didn't give up until I was out of the house.

Anyways, I started doing 16-hour daily fasts two years ago and shed 30 lbs like it was nothing (no exercise). I never stopped the 16-hr fast but if I'm planning a cheat meal, I'll extend it to a 23-24 hour fast prior. It seems to suppress a lot of the inflammation I typically receive from carb-heavy meals. About twice a year, I also like to cut my intake by 50% for a week. It gives me a mental reset to how much food is actually required.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 08-27-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

User Tag List