Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating during limited hours

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I'm intrigued by the fasting approach but I can't reconcile the chaloric intake and number of meals. Are you guys actually consuming 700-1000 calories in one sitting?
    Yes. Many cases more

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Yes. Many cases more
    I tend to eat pretty clean: grilled meat, green veggies, beans, sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts. I often hit a limit on how much food I want to eat in one sitting since there aren't a lot of calories in most of it. It's hard for me to imagine eating 1000+ calories without resorting to bread, starch, sugar, etc to get enough calories. I guess high fat diets could work as well.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I wrote a little about fasting in this thread and considered starting a dedicated thread to compare notes with other PFers, then GJM beat me to it. Since some folks can't read what's in The Coterie Club, long story short:

Read Larry Lindenman's post over at Point Driven Training, then pick up a copy of Eat, Stop, Eat and The Complete Guide to Fasting. I wish I had known about fasting years ago.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I tend to eat pretty clean: grilled meat, green veggies, beans, sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts. I often hit a limit on how much food I want to eat in one sitting since there aren't a lot of calories in most of it. It's hard for me to imagine eating 1000+ calories without resorting to bread, starch, sugar, etc to get enough calories. I guess high fat diets could work as well.
    A few whole eggs, Large serving of chicken breast or salmon, unsweetened nut butter if you can digest it, 90% cocoa and mct oil if you can’t.

I don’t mix fats with carbs (carb cycling) but you can do a load of chicken and clean carbs (plain oatmeal and veggies) and get to 1k pretty quickly.

My use of IF is totally geared toward hormone advantage rather than calorie restriction so ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    I wrote a little about fasting in this thread and considered starting a dedicated thread to compare notes with other PFers, then GJM beat me to it. Since some folks can't read what's in The Coterie Club, long story short:

Read Larry Lindenman's post over at Point Driven Training, then pick up a copy of Eat, Stop, Eat and The Complete Guide to Fasting. I wish I had known about fasting years ago.

I came here to post links to Larry's site. His fasting and cardio blog posts are epic. Very highly recommended. His info allowed me to lose 65lbs in 10 months.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

For those who have had success with intermittent fasting (especially a 10/14 pattern) and who have a handle on the physiology: does a blurp of heavy cream in my coffee impact the fast if I plan to fast until 1000? Coffee happens somewhere between 0530 and 0830. Does the small calorie intake just slightly lessen the effect of the fast, or does any nutrition intake at all triggger an end to the physiological effects of the fast? How about a small amount of Monkfruit In The Raw, which is a "zero calorie" sweetener combo of monk fruit and maltodextriin? I asked the All Seeing Eye, but Lord Googlemort seems conflicted about his answers.
    Last edited by Dog Guy; 10-05-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    For those who have had success with intermittent fasting (especially a 10/14 pattern) and who have a handle on the physiology: does a blurp of heavy cream in my coffee impact the fast if I plan to fast until 1000? Coffee happens somewhere between 0530 and 0830. Does the small calorie intake just slightly lessen the effect of the fast, or does any nutrition intake at all triggger an end to the physiological effects of the fast? How about a small amount of Monkfruit In The Raw, which is a "zero calorie" sweetener combo of monk fruit and maltodextriin? I asked the All Seeing Eye, but Lord Googlemort seems conflicted about his answers.
    Yes. The cream will stop the fast - thus negating the benefit

As much as it can be agreed upon it is the presence of insulin and an insulin response to foods or things recognized by your body as food that ends the fast.

Skip maltodextrin all together. Higher GI than table Sugar

As far as the benefits being less.... it’s one or the other as far as the info provides.

Fasting or not fasting is not the same as just eating less

Why not just have some discipline and drink the coffee black ?
    Last edited by Duke; 10-05-2019 at 01:41 PM.

I've been intermittent fasting for 3-4 years now. Not super strict, but usually eat first meal around 10 AM, end by 5:30 PM.

I lost substantial weight going increasingly lower and lower carb (well before I ever heard of Ketogenic diet).

Last 1.5 years I've been between 95-100% carnivore. That helped me immensely. I can tolerate come carbs, and my peak performance improves with may 100 grams a day. But I seem to recover and stay leaner by avoiding them.

Most of my diet is fatty meat. I find it filling enough that time restricting eating is much easier now than when I started. Fatty red meat seems more satiating.

After reading this thread I went back to 3/21 on regular days or 4/20 on workout days and I’m down from 206 to 179.

It’s tough eating a lot of food before work and resisting the urge to snack before bed. When it’s time to eat I can stuff my face like a pig.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I used to fast 8-12pm. But during the school year I work out at 430am and hit a no gain in strength and growth plateau. I reintroduced a carb rich and protein rich and growth started again and strength. I do tend to eat healthier then most though
    I tried IF in college for a year a long time ago and then this past year (age<30). It did help with body comp but oddly that “energy boost” and “mental clarity” and “decreased inflammation” went away after doing it for about a year. I feel the same and sometimes better now with smaller meals and reducing portion size and increasing vegetables.

Greg Nuckols has research that IF does not decrease size and strength gains and Martin Berkhan can probably attest to that for the long term but everybody is different.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List