Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating during limited hours

Site Supporter
    First of all, thanks to George for the information, I will return to it. I believe I 've been very fortunate (wife says I'm just strange) because I'm 71, now sticking right around 205, with a high of 262 (a million years ago, when I had delusions of becoming a powerlifter). I was raised to always have a big breakfast while growing up in Pa. Dutch country. I just finished a load of eggs/toast/juice/coffee, will be leaving for the gym (65% free weights 35% machines - aerobic activity is outside the gym) soon, where I'll consume a protein shake during my workout. Then for lunch, another full meal (usually some variation on turkey/ham sandwiches/salad/soup between 12 & 1, followed by a full supper, usually including beef, between 6 & 7. It goes without saying that throughout the day, I add the vegetable and fruit of the day - whatever seems to be available. I've been extremely blessed with cholesterol levels that my Dr. says are commensurate with "young Asian men." I've also been able gain or lose significant weight without much difficulty by increasing/decreasing portion size. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it's worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I've been doing this for several decades.

Typically I'll have a banana about 0600, then work from 0700-1900 without eating much, if anything (occasionally I'll have a yogurt, apple, or protein bar mid-day if I am feeling hungry or hypoglycemic). Then I'll have a single large meal around 1930-2100.
    Ditto, for about forty years.
    This has just has always seemed natural to me, except at midday I may have, if anything, a protein drink.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Interesting read. Never did any research but I stopped breakfast decades ago and sorta do this by default now. It was the only thing that kept the weight steady.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Site Supporter
    This general method works great for me when I stick to it. Earlier in the year I lost ten pounds quickly that way, but I have since put at least three back on. I get hungry at night and want to snack later than I should. I need to get back to it and lose about ten more pounds.

I started a 16/8 fast around Thanksgiving last year and have seen great results, ~20lbs lost, when I stuck to it. I eat lunch at 11am, and dinner no later than 7pm.

Site Supporter
    My cheat time is around 4PM, then again around 9PM.... Something about the end of the day that makes me want to nosh.

We should start a "Healthy Snacks" thread... I could use some new ideas.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I wasn’t able to read the wsj article in whole being a non subscriber.

But if it didn’t say so - the morning (or after waking from your normal sleep cycle ) is ideal non-eating time due to hgh levels and other hormones that rebuild you during rest.

There is constant pressure to eat - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, birthday cake, happy hour, dinner, evening snack. No wonder everyone gains weight.

I was Paleo / borderline Keto for a couple of years, worked great until it didn’t. Added in some carbs, felt better but gained 5 lbs. Then last year I quit my full time job and became a consultant. Working from home half the time, I’d have black coffee and nothing until noon, then a small meal or protein shake, then exercise. Lost the 5 lbs. Traveling I’d eat breakfast, because it’s free for diamond members at Hilton. Gained back the 5 pounds.

So now on the road I skip breakfast 2 out of 3 mornings and don’t miss it, just like at home. I’ve also acclimated to fasted exercise, no longer needing a meal prior to make it through. The extra 5 lbs is about gone again.

Side note, mt mother in law adopted the same approach and lost 20 lbs and is maintaining that weight.

I'm intrigued by the fasting approach but I can't reconcile the chaloric intake and number of meals. Are you guys actually consuming 700-1000 calories in one sitting?

My weight fluctuates from 165-170 and I'm fairly active with 4-8 hours of vigorous exercise every week. 4-5 of those hours will be in the morning before eating. I'm fine during the workout but afterwards I'm typically running on empty.

Breakfast is often a blend of berries, spinach, almond milk and protein powder adding up to 250-300 cals. Lunch is usually 500-6000ish cals and dinner is similar. I fill in the gaps with apples, nuts, and berries.

I used to fast 8-12pm. But during the school year I work out at 430am and hit a no gain in strength and growth plateau. I reintroduced a carb rich and protein rich and growth started again and strength. I do tend to eat healthier then most though

User Tag List