Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Torn Between Two Options

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    For an all-around gun, the 4" GP.100. For one that can be carried concealed, the 3".

I've had a couple of Ruger .45s, at different times, a Convertible Blackhawk and a Vaquero. I ended up trading both away for other guns. I have a Cimmaron 4-5/8" .45 for fun. I mainly take it out with other people so they can have the fun of shooting a cowboy gun.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I faced a similar dilemma a couple of weeks ago. Then I stumbled across a blued 5 ˝” Ruger Flat Top in 45 Colt with a 45 ACP cylinder basically unfired for about the price of a Glock.

Did you know that a 250-grain .45 Colt bullet at 950 fps will shoot through a horse?

Okie John
    Okie, I thought everybody knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I love my Lipsey Ruger Flat Top 44 Special and it goes with me into the woods all the time. Accurate, great fit & finish and all steel. You will like the 45 colt if you buy it. If you find a Flat Top - Even better
    One of the last few guns I bought was a Lipsey’s .44 flattop. Concur; all of it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Okie, I thought everybody knew that.
    I did'nt..but, then again, I haven't shot any horses..

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I mainly take it out with other people so they can have the fun of shooting a cowboy gun.
    We all need to be more like Stephanie.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I faced a similar dilemma a couple of weeks ago. Then I stumbled across a blued 5 ˝” Ruger Flat Top in 45 Colt with a 45 ACP cylinder basically unfired for about the price of a Glock.

Did you know that a 250-grain .45 Colt bullet at 950 fps will shoot through a horse?

Okie John

Coming from a guy who used to ride bucking horses for his college (BSU Broncos) rodeo team, I can tell you that I have wanted to shoot a lot of horses...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I can tell you that I have wanted to shoot a lot of horses...
    Any possible interest I had in those critters ended when an equestrienne from my high school was thrown from her horse into a stone wall. My recollection is that they said she was dead before her body hit the ground.

Another girl was killed when she took er boyfriend for a ride in a Beechcraft. They were flat-hatting over the water when something happened and they went in, both dead.

I concluded that it was easier to manage the risk in an airplane than it was atop half-a-ton of future dog food that is run by a brain the size of a walnut.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

This is a tough one! Personally I'd love to have them all. If we are talking more so hunting rig I'd go gp100 with the longest barrel you think you can handle for carrying for hours. I'd like to get a 460 s&w one day and scope it. I've been really into glock hunting last few years. I usually carry a g20 or g29 with a 6" barrel on a plate carrier but take out the plates and use a gcode osh with rti, that way I can swap it from my belt to chest depending on what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Coming from a guy who used to ride bucking horses for his college (BSU Broncos) rodeo team, I can tell you that I have wanted to shoot a lot of horses...
    Predictable bucking in the morning is tolerable to a certain extent, but hard to catch is what makes it reaaal difficult to not to go get a rifle.

User Tag List