Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdon Tactical Goes Single-Stack, Springfield XD-E

Site Supporter
    To test the new trigger job in a bag out I ran 50 rounds of 115 federal and 50 rounds of 124 S&B without any issues today with the 12 pound trigger spring. I also shot some 115 critical defense that I have and it ran fine. With the kit the trigger is definitely lighter and crisper.

The ergos of the XDE are still a bit of an issue for me. I'm wondering if a grip reduction is possible, just to get a little better trigger reach.

The gun is a bit of a dichotomy. It is really, really easy to rack the slide, and therefore the gun seems like a good solution for people with severe hand issues (which I have). But the trigger reach and angle for me is just a bit off, and I get bit on the underside of my trigger finger on recoil. That's a product of not being able to grip the gun very well, I'm sure. So 100 rounds is the max I want to put through it at a time.

I have probably put 700 -- 1000 rounds through the gun over the last couple years, and it hasn't had any malfunctions. It's definitely better with the kit, and I think there is a niche for it.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    To test the new trigger job in a bag out I ran 50 rounds of 115 federal and 50 rounds of 124 S&B without any issues today with the 12 pound trigger spring. I also shot some 115 critical defense that I have and it ran fine. With the kit the trigger is definitely lighter and crisper.

The ergos of the XDE are still a bit of an issue for me. I'm wondering if a grip reduction is possible, just to get a little better trigger reach.

The gun is a bit of a dichotomy. It is really, really easy to rack the slide, and therefore the gun seems like a good solution for people with severe hand issues (which I have). But the trigger reach and angle for me is just a bit off, and I get bit on the underside of my trigger finger on recoil. That's a product of not being able to grip the gun very well, I'm sure. So 100 rounds is the max I want to put through it at a time.

I have probably put 700 -- 1000 rounds through the gun over the last couple years, and it hasn't had any malfunctions. It's definitely better with the kit, and I think there is a niche for it.

Thanks for the report. If there’s one single stack on the market that I really want to not suck, it’s the XDe. There’s just not another DA/SA single stack on the market like it that I can see.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Yes. So far it shoots pretty good for my wife. We are going to put the heavier hammer spring in because with harder primer ammo it is not always getting them to go off. It is about the same regularity and same ammo issues my Wilson Centac had, so it is not a deal breaker, we just need a little heavier spring so it works with everything, not just Federal and PMC type stuff. So far for its intended purpose it is looking like a win. My wife would never give up her LTT PX4CC for anything, but this is so far working as a potential supplement between the PX4CC and her S&W 43C.

Is the XD-E still going strong for you and your wife?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Is the XD-E still going strong for you and your wife?
    We have been shooting a ton with the PX4CC’s. I just test shot the Springfield since Ernest put the heavier spring in and it is running good. We ll see what happens. My wife was not really comfortable with the Glock 43X and we traded it off, and seems to like the Springfield. Still working with it.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Another update. We went to the range today with the goal being for my wife to work specifically with the LTT XD-E. She shoots it well, it’s reliable, but....it for some reason really bothers her support side thumb no matter where she adjusts it.
    I have no issues with my “HK weird” grip that I use that allows me to not have many of the issues others do, but it bugs her. So.....another carry auto fail. She didn’t like the 43X, she shoots a Shield well, but like the XD-E, she is just not really happy with several aspects. Basically, the whole small flat auto thing is just not working for her. She shot her PX4CC like gang busters today....as usual.

After a long talk tonight it seems like she just likes what she likes and is not good, nor interested in adapting to a bunch of different stuff. She is perfectly happy with her LTT PX4CC being her semi-auto shooting and general purpose gun, and a snub revolver for most daily carry needs. She shoots her 640 great, and does good with the S&W 43C, but hates the trigger. So.....we are going to try the Ruger LCR in .327 as a sort of next step. She hates the recoil on the airweight J frames, yet hates the trigger on the .22. I found a LCR .327 with a great trigger. For daily carry with .32 Long or H&R Mag, .32 Short for classes and practice, and .327 Federal Magnum as a hunting back up and outdoors carry, we are thinking this may be the small, light, solution.

Thanks to her time with GJM, her speed is really improved, which is also making her more focused on how the guns perform for her when increasing speed with the same expectations of consistency and high accuracy accountability that comes from both training with Wayne and I as well as her extensive hunting background.

I am not sure what the fate of the XD-E will be. I think it will fill a role for another member here, so I will see if he wants to try it and maybe find a happy home.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Site Supporter
    Another update. We went to the range today with the goal being for my wife to work specifically with the LTT XD-E. She shoots it well, it’s reliable, but....it for some reason really bothers her support side thumb no matter where she adjusts it.
    I have no issues with my “HK weird” grip that I use that allows me to not have many of the issues others do, but it bugs her. So.....another carry auto fail. She didn’t like the 43X, she shoots a Shield well, but like the XD-E, she is just not really happy with several aspects. Basically, the whole small flat auto thing is just not working for her. She shot her PX4CC like gang busters today....as usual.

After a long talk tonight it seems like she just likes what she likes and is not good, nor interested in adapting to a bunch of different stuff. She is perfectly happy with her LTT PX4CC being her semi-auto shooting and general purpose gun, and a snub revolver for most daily carry needs. She shoots her 640 great, and does good with the S&W 43C, but hates the trigger. So.....we are going to try the Ruger LCR in .327 as a sort of next step. She hates the recoil on the airweight J frames, yet hates the trigger on the .22. I found a LCR .327 with a great trigger. For daily carry with .32 Long or H&R Mag, .32 Short for classes and practice, and .327 Federal Magnum as a hunting back up and outdoors carry, we are thinking this may be the small, light, solution.

Thanks to her time with GJM, her speed is really improved, which is also making her more focused on how the guns perform for her when increasing speed with the same expectations of consistency and high accuracy accountability that comes from both training with Wayne and I as well as her extensive hunting background.

I am not sure what the fate of the XD-E will be. I think it will fill a role for another member here, so I will see if he wants to try it and maybe find a happy home.

If you were carrying V1 HKs again, would you consider the XD-E as a CCW piece? Considering they are both DA/SA guns with a similar safety/decocker.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If you were carrying V1 HKs again, would you consider the XD-E as a CCW piece? Considering they are both DA/SA guns with a similar safety/decocker.
    That is the beauty of it. It is a DA/SA single stack with a manual of arms that is similar to any DA/SA service pistol. Ernest did a good job with sights and the trigger, and it has been reliable with the exception of light strikes on training ammo with the lightest hammer spring. Since Ernest put the slightly heavier spring in it, no issues at all. As I said in my initial assessment, it would make a great gun for carry in a Smart Carry type rig where I would be FAR more comfortable with a DA/SA gun with a hammer than a striker fired gun. I really think that is it’s optimal role, and if I don’t find a good home for it, I will keep it specifically for that role.

Site Supporter
    That is the beauty of it. It is a DA/SA single stack with a manual of arms that is similar to any DA/SA service pistol. Ernest did a good job with sights and the trigger, and it has been reliable with the exception of light strikes on training ammo with the lightest hammer spring. Since Ernest put the slightly heavier spring in it, no issues at all. As I said in my initial assessment, it would make a great gun for carry in a Smart Carry type rig where I would be FAR more comfortable with a DA/SA gun with a hammer than a striker fired gun. I really think that is it’s optimal role, and if I don’t find a good home for it, I will keep it specifically for that role.

I am in email contact with SA right now about getting extra mag releases. Ambi releases are not something I am fond of, and my plan is to see how hard it would be to modify one into being non ambi.

Now I just need an XD-E.

There are some damn good deals on them to be had.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    ...but it bugs her. So.....another carry auto fail. She didn’t like the 43X, she shoots a Shield well, but like the XD-E, she is just not really happy with several aspects. Basically, the whole small flat auto thing is just not working for her. She shot her PX4CC like gang busters today....as usual.
    I hesitate to ask, because the pistol I am going to mention seems to be somewhat contentious... but has she tried the PX4 subcompact? I ended up going from an initial dislike for them to becoming quite fond of the sawed-off little buggers.

After a ten-year journey, my wife has ended up being a fan of lightweight 9mm 1911s, the Ruger SR22, and not much else; it was a long, strange trip just to end up where it did. The experience did two things for me other than deplete our savings: I got really good at rolling my eyes rather than vocalizing, and I got to shoot a lot of handguns I wouldn't have otherwise bothered with. Actually, it did leave me with something else: I now like to rent the latest and greatest at the local ranges.

I rented an XD-E and found it to be a nice gun but with a trigger reset that is not compatible with me. It and the P365 - I gave it a "meh" rating - have left me wondering if the "small flat auto thing" is worth pursuing.

g n

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I hesitate to ask, because the pistol I am going to mention seems to be somewhat contentious... but has she tried the PX4 subcompact? I ended up going from an initial dislike for them to becoming quite fond of the sawed-off little buggers.

After a ten-year journey, my wife has ended up being a fan of lightweight 9mm 1911s, the Ruger SR22, and not much else; it was a long, strange trip just to end up where it did. The experience did two things for me other than deplete our savings: I got really good at rolling my eyes rather than vocalizing, and I got to shoot a lot of handguns I wouldn't have otherwise bothered with. Actually, it did leave me with something else: I now like to rent the latest and greatest at the local ranges.

I rented an XD-E and found it to be a nice gun but with a trigger reset that is not compatible with me. It and the P365 - I gave it a "meh" rating - have left me wondering if the "small flat auto thing" is worth pursuing.

g n
    I see absolutely no reason to go to the sub-compact. She shoots her PX4CC really well. The issue is really width and weight more than anything else and the Sub Compact doesn’t get much pluses there. She did okay with the G43X, she is just not a fan of the trigger.
    I pick up the .327 LCR tomorrow. I have a feeling it will be the solution.

User Tag List