Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conceal carry recommendation - sub-compact and smaller only.

Question Conceal carry recommendation - sub-compact and smaller only.

What I realized is I can't/won't carry my M&P compact 4.0" 9mm.
    It's big, bulky and heavy and hangs like a third leg.
    Little exaggeration but that's how I feel so not going to carry.

For those who carry compact guns like mine or Glock 19 size, great but I can't.

So I'm looking for subcompacts, maybe not a micro, unless I decide to go for a pocket carry instead.
    Pocket carry is an option as I usually wear jeans or shorts.

I've handled M&P shield 9mm and it feels much better than the compact.
    Or do you guys recommend going even smaller that can fit in a pocket pocket?
    What good models are there?
    thanks

If you want to stay with the M&P family, the Shield is a great little pistol. They’re reliable and accurate and are a lot easier to conceal than the 2.0c. Other options to consider are the Glock 43 and the Sig P365. The Glock 43x and Glock 48 are other newly released pistols that may be easier to conceal. They’re the same height as the M&P 2.0c/Glock 19 but noticeably thinner. They may be thinner enough that you would be able to conceal them. There are threads about each of these pistols on the forum right now.

A Glock 26 is my current “I don’t feel like carrying a real gun today” gun and has been for a few years now. It’s as thick as a Glock 19 but it’s substantially shorter in height and length. I can even pocket carry it in a few pairs of shorts and pants that I own. It shoots like a much larger gun and can use the magazines from the larger guns as reloads.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Have you explored a variety of holsters and belts? What position are you wanting to carry in? What is your build type?
    Taking a break from social media.

How are you trying to carry the current pistols?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I like the Springfield Armory XDs. I have a distrust of the S&W M&P series for carry after my Compact broke the striker. (To be fair, if any of my carry guns lost the striker, that would keep me from trusting it).

The 2 XDs’ I own (9 & 45) have both functioned flawlessly, and that is paramount. The triggers can be tough to get smoothed out, but once that is dealt with, you’re good. 100% reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Little guns aren't much fun to shoot so you will have to force yourself to practice with it. Which mean you might not practice as often as you normally would.

That said, I am impressed with the Sig 365. It is a lot of rounds in a small package that is accurate and the trigger doesn't suck. If you add a 12-round magazine it is easier to control and only increases the height by a little bit. They can also be had with a thumb safety if you are so inclined.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It sounds like you want a P365 or one of the new Glocks. Rabbit-hole those mega threads and pick one, then post up once you're working out with it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

IWB or pocket carry...

My options are either IWB (at 3 or 4 position most likely) or pocket depending upon the gun.

I'm medium build, 5' 9", 175 lbs and have seen others guys smaller than me carrying compact but I just feel it's too big for me as EDC.

This holster is what I tried but regardless of holster, I don't think I can carry it.
    Plus it's a pain to sit down with it.

A different holster might be worth a shot. Those hybrid holsters aren’t well regarded around here for good reason. I’ve found AIWB to work very well for me with a specific type of holster and belt but I totally understand that it’s not for everyone. I’m currently on surveillance, sitting in a vehicle, carrying a full size pistol AIWB. I’ve been sitting in this car for a few hours and none of my discomfort is related to the gun and holster.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Don't give up on your current carry until you at least try a better holster. I would recommend Dark Star Gear or JMCK. Or, alternatively, JMCK or Dark Star Gear. (But that's just me.)

If you can't make it work with one of their holsters then I think you can justify making the change.

Just my humble opinion.

ETA: I see my brother Dan beat me to the punch. Take heed of those words.

ETA2:
    I’m currently on surveillance, sitting in a vehicle, carrying a full size pistol AIWB. I’ve been sitting in this car for a few hours and none of my discomfort is related to the gun and holster.
    Dan, you're supposed to be looking outside, not down in your lap!!!
    (Be safe.)
    Last edited by blues; 08-26-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List