Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Level IIIA Plate Carrier Recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Reckoning that the trunk of a vehicle might as well be a thousand miles away, when lead is flying, I made the commitment to wear a Mayflower carrier with IIIA front, side, and rear panels, with Level III/IV ICW plates, for the entire shift, each work day. The front and rear IIIA soft armor panels were 10x12” SAPI sized, to match the plates, which was, of course, meant a bit less total coverage than my issued soft Level II armor, but I reckoned that the dramatically better level of ballistic protection, front and rear, and having IIIA side coverage, was a valid trade-off.

My aging knees certainly felt the increased weight, and, after about six months, my back was really starting to feel it, too, though the long hours during and after Hurricane Harvey probably contributed to it.

The whole experiment ended after about nine months, when I elected to retire in early 2018, rather than late 2018 or early 2019. (I will still use this armor when checking my in-laws’ land for trespassers, who tend to bring hunting rifles with them.)
    Few guys I know have done similar things and opted to not continue to wear them daily. The issue was the constant weight trade-off to ballistic protection.

I have a PC in my car at all times, helmet, etc. When SHTF, throwing the kit on isn't exactly that difficult or time consuming.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

I work for a large agency, which means I'm much more likely to be the 5th through 80th guy on scene, than the first through 4th. I realize this would be very different for a small agency with 4 officers working on a shift. Therefore, I'm more likely to have time to gear up. My regular duties don't call for more than a IIIA vest, and in past years I've even opted for a Level II vest.

A few thoughts ...

Armor levels, DOJ is in the process of revising them and the letters will be gone. For now, and I get the confusion, IIIA is less than III. IIIA will stop nearly all of the handgun & shotgun threats out there with acceptable backfire deformation (dents in you). There are IIIA special threat rated items that will also stop 'hot' handgun threats, like Winchester 127gr +P+ and others.
    The best way I can describe III is it will stop some of the rifle threats out there. 5.56mm loads, both M193 (55gr) and M855 (62gr), haven't been NIJ test loads so that's where the not from DOJ "III+" rating comes from;

Weight can be a big deal. I'm fine with IIIA soft armor and special threat plates from Paraclete for day-in/day-out patrol work. Part of that is looking at the numbers on what gets used against L/E, plus what we are seizing. I would not voluntarily work every day with III or IV plates on, I've carried that amount of armor before. She co-workers just did a group buy on ICW "III+" plates for their external vest carriers. I predict back issues.
    I keep my helmet and a plate carrier with III InConjunction With (they should work when combined with soft armor) plates up front in my work ride, not in the trunk. My rifle is in a rack up front as well. We've got at least one member here who has done multiple active killer responses that he's made entry on. His stance has been that if you can't reach it from the driver's seat you are likely to leave it.

Someone recommended the FirstSpear patrol specific plate carrier. Pretty good choice. https://www.first-spear.com/first-on-w-gp-pouch

Myself? I'd stick with my regular IIIA soft armor and have a plate carrier I can add-on when needed.

Does anyone know a PC type setup, that has more soft armor coverage than a normal PC, but not quite as much as a full traditional outer carrier?

I can’t see stopping to switch my vest out on an active shooter call, or while other cops are engaged with someone. So I’m trying to find a vest to wear light special threat plates with, without losing as much soft coverage as a PC, but still cutting some bulk/weight.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Does anyone know a PC type setup, that has more soft armor coverage than a normal PC, but not quite as much as a full traditional outer carrier?

I can’t see stopping to switch my vest out on an active shooter call, or while other cops are engaged with someone. So I’m trying to find a vest to wear light special threat plates with, without losing as much soft coverage as a PC, but still cutting some bulk/weight.
    You mean like wearing a plate carrier with a IIIA cummerbund? That's the only solution I know of.

The Mayflower/Velocity vest I mentioned earlier in the thread has a unique cut of soft armor that is less restrictive than a typical tac-vest, but IMO the feasibility problem is still the idea of wearing plates for an entire shift.

Standing force-pro for 8-12 hours or being on a protective detail is one thing, but you patrol guys are way too mobile to wear plates an entire shift day-in/day-out. If the greatest threat domestically was 7.62x39 it'd be a different story as there are special threat x39 plates that only way 1-2lbs, but unfortunately that's not the reality domestically (or even many overseas places anymore).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    What is your current armor set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    What is your current armor set-up?
    Velocity LPAAC.

User Tag List