Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Level IIIA Plate Carrier Recommendations?

Level IIIA Plate Carrier Recommendations?

After a recent situation in which, as a patrol officer, I was dispatched to a rifle armed active shooter with just my level IIIA vest and an MCH helmet, I'm in the market for a set of rifle plates and a plate carrier. A while back I recall seeing a set of external level IIIA soft armor that also accepts rifle plates. It seems likes a good option for me for the additional IIIA side protection without plates.

1) Can anyone make a recommendation on a plate carrier like this?

2) If the plate is covered with Level IIIA soft armor, does that mean that steel plates can be used with less concern of spalling? I would only need a rifle plate is exceptionally rare circumstances, likely not within the 5 year warranty period of ceramic plates. Plus, these plates could easily be dropped, etc. A steel plate, with unlimited life and lower cost would be a much better choice. Weight is generally not a factor.

Thanks.

AMI TAC3S light would be my recommendation for plates. They are steel/laminate hybrid plate. They are not cheap or particularly light compared to similarly priced ceramic plates. They are very durable and can take a lot of close range damage from 5.56/5.45/7.62 platforms.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Are you asking for a plate carrier to go over your IIIA vest that you're wearing, or an integrated armor carrier that carries both your IIIA armor and plates?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

TGS;

The carrier vest I saw was an exterior Level IIIA soft vest that covered the front and rear, and had a Level IIIA cummerbund around the middle. In addition to this, it has slots for rifle plates. The idea was that users could change the protection level depending on the threat. Since I use an external vest carrier already, I figured I'd take off my existing vest carrier and switch to this one. It had options for arm protection, etc. My regular vest is cut for comfort balanced against protection; the side coverage is less than a full external vest, as well as the collarbone area. These tactical vests cover much more area, plus rifle plates. The other carriers I see hold the rifle plates great, but that's not a lot of real estate.

Yeah, I have one like that; the Point Blank Federal Armor System (I think they have a newer model on their website compared to what I have). The armored cummerbund is pretty pointless since the regular IIIA vest component covers the sides anyway. It's also a massive vest using a SPEAR/BALCS cut, and is entirely way too much coverage (in the wrong places) for domestic police work.

Keep in mind that responding to an active shooter, you'll either have to don the vest with plates in it on scene, or do your entire shift with the plates in it. Adding the plates when you get a hot call is not a feasible solution, nor is doffing a vest to don another one.

I have a few of the Velocity Systems Low-Profile Assault Armor Carrier and they're pretty awesome, with great mobility and more relevant coverage compared to SPEAR/BALCS cut armor. You still run into the issue of needing to either do your whole shift with the plates in the vest, and either wear it all shift or don it when you get a call. Here's a good review on the vest from a LEO and how versatile/well designed it is: https://www.breachbangclear.com/revi...armor-carrier/
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

TGS:

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

My experience with this last one was that we rolled up to the scene and everyone went to their trunks and put on their tac gear and go their long guns before rolling out. Only the first units on scene jumped into action. Obviously that would be different in other situations. Since everyone who had rifle plates put them on, I would have been able to take off my regular external armor carrier and put something like this on. Or just thrown it on over everything, along with my helmet.

My regular duty vest only goes down to my belly button to allow movement. This is about 2-3 inches above my duty belt. Plus the side protection is pretty low. I think my current vest is great for the threats I'm likely to face on the street, but for a true tactical situation, I could see more protection being useful. Plus it would be handy to have in the car when I'm working in a non-uniform or polo shirt capacity, and need to respond to a situation that required armor.

I agree that these systems wouldn't work very well for domestic police work, but an active shooter situation where I can don the vest (ie, not the first on scene) has different requirements and restrictions than regular patrol.

I'll check out your suggestions.

My unit had to make a choice between an external soft armor vest or running plates for the duration of the shift. Actually, its split about 50/50. I run a First Spear plate carrier with IIIA soft armor on the cummerbund. It has way less coverage than typical soft body armor, but I like the idea of having plates on the entire shift. I supervise a gang unit and seize just as many AR/AK pistols as I do handguns so the plates make sense to me. That might not be the situation in your area.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    My unit had to make a choice between an external soft armor vest or running plates for the duration of the shift. Actually, its split about 50/50. I run a First Spear plate carrier with IIIA soft armor on the cummerbund. It has way less coverage than typical soft body armor, but I like the idea of having plates on the entire shift. I supervise a gang unit and seize just as many AR/AK pistols as I do handguns so the plates make sense to me. That might not be the situation in your area.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Andre;

Thanks for the tip. Checking out the First Spear site, I think I found what I'm looking for. It's the MASS Modular System. Specifically, the shoulder straps and maybe the collar and throat guard. That, along with side protection of Level IIIA would give me more protection than I'm currently wearing, and beef up the rather skimpy coverage of a plain plate carrier.

In reality, it's extremely unlikely I'll ever respond to one of these again. But I want to incorporate the lessons personally learned and upgrade my kit, change my tactics, etc.

Sounds like you're looking for a First Spear "First On"

https://www.first-spear.com/first-on-w-gp-pouch

Edit - if you want a michilen man type suit setup, you're going to be paying top $$$$ for it. Cheaper to buy bicep armor from somewhere like hoplite (I think they are like $350 for the set) and/or a shield.
    Last edited by voodoo_man; 08-27-2019 at 08:40 AM.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Reckoning that the trunk of a vehicle might as well be a thousand miles away, when lead is flying, I made the commitment to wear a Mayflower carrier with IIIA front, side, and rear panels, with Level III/IV ICW plates, for the entire shift, each work day. The front and rear IIIA soft armor panels were 10x12” SAPI sized, to match the plates, which was, of course, meant a bit less total coverage than my issued soft Level II armor, but I reckoned that the dramatically better level of ballistic protection, front and rear, and having IIIA side coverage, was a valid trade-off.

My aging knees certainly felt the increased weight, and, after about six months, my back was really starting to feel it, too, though the long hours during and after Hurricane Harvey probably contributed to it.

The whole experiment ended after about nine months, when I elected to retire in early 2018, rather than late 2018 or early 2019. (I will still use this armor when checking my in-laws’ land for trespassers, who tend to bring hunting rifles with them.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-27-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List