Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expanding FMJ from Federal

Site Supporter
    So should I keep it in my collection of oddities, like the box of 38 SPL Nyclads? Is it worthy to carry (but I have lots of modern standard stuff)? Such decisions. Found a box of 22 LR Quick-shok (that's supposed to fragment into deadly little projectiles). The things we buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So should I keep it in my collection of oddities, like the box of 38 SPL Nyclads? Is it worthy to carry (but I have lots of modern standard stuff)? Such decisions. Found a box of 22 LR Quick-shok (that's supposed to fragment into deadly little projectiles). The things we buy!
    Some might be tempted to remind us that "There's a sucker born every minute", some the things that we do buy can imcrease in value unexpectedly. As for ammo, look at the prices that the long-discontinued "Black Talon" commands on 'sites like Gunbroker. There might be "gold" in those ammo boxes. 😉
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Site Supporter
    That's a thought. Black Talon - runs like a buzz saw through you for ultimate stopping power! Yes Sir!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911nerd View Post
    It is after the British arsenal in/near Calcutta.
    Expanding/deforming ammo came to be called 'dum-dum' rounds because the British sought to improve the effectiveness of their Martini-Henry rifles when the .577/450 was replaced with the then-new .303 British.
    The .303 obviously had much less terminal effect on unarmored targets at close range vs the older .577/450.
    But some curious British Soldiers are rumored to have taken individual .303 rounds and scraped off the leading tip of each bullet to present an unjacketed flat-nosed FMJ that would expand/tumble/etc much better than the straight FMJ did. The practice of scraping/cutting off your bullet tips became common, to the point that the Dum-Dum arsenal started producing .303 ammo with the projectiles pre-cut for a time. Thus, 'Dum Dum' ammo was the 'good stuff' in the late 19th Century in that part of the world, and the vernacular (and individual practice) stuck through WWI and on and on.

At least, that's what I've put together from a variety of sources over the years. If anyone has a reference more authoritative, I'd love to see it!

History of Dum-Dum bullets:

https://www.pfoa.co.uk/dum-dum-bullets

All these years, I thought the term "Dum-Dum" was something that my dad made up.

The Federal brochure was quite interesting to me.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 08-30-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve always wondered if they really performed like the Federal Catalog shows they do. They seem almost perfect on those pages.

I’ve never seen any in the wild.

Site Supporter
    Just for interest, this is a German WWI medal by a famous artist of the time, denouncing the British Use of Dum Dums. Look at the inscription on the rounds.

http://karlgoetz.com/ImageDetail.aspx?idImage=72

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’ve never seen any in the wild.
    They were pretty popular in NJ and on every gun store's shelves as retired LEOs are not permitted to carry hollow-points under NJ law. I never heard of how they performed in any shootings, though.

In ordnance gel tests I've seen previously, they are characterized by shallow penetration. Also a good observation by the tester is that due to the polymer petals/edges, the round displays poor wound track damage compared to regular JHPs, more akin to a FMJ:

Last edited by TGS; 08-30-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

This is a pretty decent discussion of the .303 "Dum-Dum": http://looserounds.com/556timeline/dum-dum
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List