Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expanding FMJ from Federal

Site Supporter

Expanding FMJ from Federal

Digging around in the vault of all things I came up with a box of Federal expanding FMJ. IIRC, this was a solution to places like NJ. Is it any good. Sorry for not searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Digging around in the vault of all things I came up with a box of Federal expanding FMJ. IIRC, this was a solution to places like NJ. Is it any good. Sorry for not searching.
    For starters, here is the LE product brochure offered by Federal:

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/download...MJBrochure.pdf
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Is that an update to Federal Guarddog ammunition? As I recall, reviewers thought that the 115 9mm was decent for its purpose; the 40 and 45 caliber not so much.
    Real guns have hammers.

Filmed in slow motion I saw one impact a water filled wine bottle, the nose smashing and flattening against the glass and the bullet bouncing off. Certified no shit!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    IIRC, this was a solution to places like NJ.
    New Jersey bans "hollow nose or dum-dum" bullets. Federal Guard Dog and Hornady Critical Duty/Defense may not be "hollow nose," but they are designed to expand, seemingly meeting the definition of "dum-dum" bullets. Carry at your peril.

Fun fact, if you ever shoot a stake shoot, EFMJs are like cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    New Jersey bans "hollow nose or dum-dum" bullets.
    Leaving aside the absurd nature of the law in question, they seriously put "dum-dum" in the language of the statute? That's adorable.

IANAL, and don't have a NY carry permit, so it's a moot question for me, but FWIW:

"Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition."

FAQ #13 here:
    https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

(technodweeb question: why is the NJ State Police a .org instead of a .gov??)

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Leaving aside the absurd nature of the law in question, they seriously put "dum-dum" in the language of the statute? That's adorable.
    It is after the British arsenal in/near Calcutta.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

- William Pitt the Younger

I've never heard of such a thing, thanks for sharing.
    #RESIST

User Tag List