Thread: AIWB and Low Back Pain

AIWB and Low Back Pain

I'm wondering if anyone else carries AIWB and deals with low back pain? I've carried this way for several years now. In the past I was able to carry a 17, and before that a 226, for 10 plus hours with no issues. Recently carry a 17 for more than a couple hours has become pretty painful.

I run, do Jiu Jitsu, multiple deployments wearing body armor and plates... so it's very possible that something else is the real issue. AIWB might not have anything to do with it and just aggravates an existing condition.

For now I'm down to pocket carrying a J frame until I can figure out something else that works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I am blessed with multiple issues. I sometimes wear a hernia belt, and I find that the extra pressure can aggravate my sciatic nerve where it goes across the top of my glutes. Maybe looking at different belt characteristics could help. Or it may be pointing you toward some other issue developing; massage or PT may help. In general, my advice is simply to look deeper for causes, not just to alleviate the symptom you notice.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've had my share of issues arising from injuries or structure and have found that self administered trigger point therapy is very helpful.

I highly recommend this book in that regard, along with a few tools such as a foam roller, Thera Cane, Tiger Tail massage stick and hard rubber ball.

The small investment in the book, (and some medical books on the subject), and tools was very helpful when I went through a long stretch of discomfort a few years back.

It's not some new age b.s. like so much crap around these days and hope you'll take the opportunity to look into it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    You need to stretch you psoas muscle. You can use a kettlebell or the pso-rite.

https://pso-rite.com/?gclid=EAIaIQob...iAAEgLfnPD_BwE

Also, banded hip distractions will help with low back pain.

I use all the above and it greatly reduces my low back pain and lets it release the tension held there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jackdog View Post
    You need to stretch you psoas muscle. You can use a kettlebell or the pso-rite.

https://pso-rite.com/?gclid=EAIaIQob...iAAEgLfnPD_BwE

Also, banded hip distractions will help with low back pain.

I use all the above and it greatly reduces my low back pain and lets it release the tension held there.

I agree, rowing and kettlebell work both help a lot but also require working the opposing muscles.

Working one's abs and core will often help with low back issues and imbalances as well.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Before you try any self-prescribed treatment, go see a doc and get a scan. Treating an actual bad disc as if it was a muscle problem is bad.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Before you try any self-prescribed treatment, go see a doc and get a scan. Treating an actual bad disc as if it was a muscle problem is bad.
    That’s the best advice! Start with the Dr to rule out any issue other than tight muscles.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Working one's abs and core will often help with low back issues and imbalances as well.
    If, as in my case, you have a dislocated L5-S1, there are good ways to work your core and potentially bad ways.

For example, sit-ups.

Think about the physiology... doing a full sit-up puts pressure on the bottom of your spine, possibly exacerbating a disc problem there... I'm doing modified crunches using an exercise ball to support my lower back. The crunch is towards the ceiling, not towards my feet.

I'm learning the hard way that back issues are life changing. If you think you've got a real problem, get it looked at and get professional advice.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Probably should have added to my last post....

I had problems carrying AIWB for several months while I worked on fixing my core and losing 20+ pounds. I don't have any trouble carrying AIWB now. Worried that AIWB was contributing to the problem I had a frank discussion with my PT (PhD, very cool gal, but the office is posted no-guns (somewhat understandably), so it took me a while to bring it up). She felt that carrying AIWB in my situation was not a contributor to my disc problem and gave me the green light to return to doing so, much to my relief. Fanny packs are only tolerable for so long.

I'll add some universal advice....
    1. If you're doing something and it hurts your back, STOP doing it. Don't try to "power through it" until you get it checked out.
    2. A chiropractor is not a spine doc and is not a PT. Know what the problem is with your back before you let a chiropractor (or any other alternative therapist) try and fix it.

User Tag List